Carb icing brings down Cessna 150

Admin

You don't normally expect carby ice on take off if your run up was OK, but I had it happen in a C150 at Grovedale. The C150 seems to be very prone to carby ice, much more so than some other planes.

It may well be the case. The carb is a fair way from the ports and the heat of the engine is not conveyed to any of the manifolding. The Lycoming passes through the hot oil of the crankcase.( If it has been warmed up). Awareness is the key here. The trouble with using carb heat on the ground is that it is unfiltered air. ( on the O-200). Nev

I have had carby ice on take off in C172 and for that reason I apply carb heat prior to applying power for take off, the reason I had ice was that I did run ups then entered and back tracked and lined up, enough time for ice to form. The engine blurted badly, applied heat and put nose down, found paddock, engine picked up power, resumed climb to safety and wiped sweat off face. I apply carb heat as part of my take off check and encourage everyone else to do this.

• Like 1

I have had carby ice on take off in C172 and for that reason I apply carb heat prior to applying power for take off, the reason I had ice was that I did run ups then entered and back tracked and lined up, enough time for ice to form. The engine blurted badly, applied heat and put nose down, found paddock, engine picked up power, resumed climb to safety and wiped sweat off face. I apply carb heat as part of my take off check and encourage everyone else to do this.

Depends on local conditions. Carby Heat on makes the mixture rich and can affect performance, more so on a high DA airstrip. For example when descending from altitude you should have carby heat on with low RPM (butterfly closed position) but was taught at 300AGL carby heat off so that full power was available in a go-around...

• Like 1

I'm sorry when I wrote " I apply carb heat as part of my take off check and encourage everyone else to do this." I mean to apply for approximately 5 secomds to check and moniter engine RPM and put carby cold again after for take off as it is to check or remove ice that may have formed. The C172 would seriously struggle to go anywhere with carb heat on and also Carb ice is common on C172 with carburettor and not common on Pipers, you will find this info if you search for it. It has been mention before and I have heard it from many others qualified on these type and having flown both types and been in the perfect climate for ice.

Carby ice is one of those got ya's that seems to pop up whenever the engine gives a cough or a stutta that the pilot can't explain.

I think alot of people are not taught the correct way to check for ice before takeoff. Its not good enough to pull heat on for 5 seconds and wait for an indicated rev drop. You must give the carby heat time to melt away any ice that has formed.

So, when the engine is warm, apply carby heat and observe the rpm drop (sometimes only audible in jabiru engines) then wait. Wait for the rpm to either remain static OR increase to an rpm above what it was before you applied the carby heat.

If the RPM does increase significantly, then you had ice. Often the engine will seem to race, from 2000 rpm initially, down to say 1950 when heat is applied, then races up to 2100-2200 rpm. A sure indication of ice (or a dicky jabiru throttle)

In my experience, the worst time for it is while taxiing on grass strips early in the morning, or late in the day when the relative humidity is high (ignore the temperature, it can happen at almost any temp, engine and abient air)

cheers

I thought that all pilots checked for carby ice as part of their pre take off checks. Some planes seem to be more prone to it than others, a C150 Iused to fly got carby ice if their was a cloud in the sky, while other C150's were less prone to it. That plane eventually ditched at Redcliffe, probably due to ice.

I agree the C150 with the 0-200 is prone to carb icing. Also, some accidents over the years in the Melbourne area involving Piper Warriors with the Lycoming 0-320 were attributed to carb icing. Some-one once explained to me why the earlier model carb on the 0-320 was more likely to suffer.