looking for prop for 503

RickH

Hi Rick,

On a single seat trike with an R503 and B-type 2.58 gearbox, I replaced a 3 bladed 60 inch Ivoprop with a 62 inch Bolly BOS-3 early last year and it made a big difference shortening my takeoff roll and increased rate of climb.

Probably a combination of factors:

1. The Ivoprop being old may flex a bit

2. Increased prop diameter

3. Bolly do make a good prop

Hey Eastmeg

do you still have the Ivo, is it in reasonable nick, do you want to sell it and if so how much, At this stage I'm not too fussy, as eventually I intend replacing the 503 with a 67 hp BMW engine and may have to buy a new prop for that installation anyway. However I am keen to give my bird a run with the 503 and at this stage am weighing options.

regards Rick

Rick, Forgot to ask what aircraft the 503 is driving.

On my WB Drifter I have a 503 DCDI, 2.62:1 ratio E type gearbox, 3 blade,60 inch, ground adjustable Ivo prop.

I imported the prop from these guys http://www.uflyit.com/newpage22.htm and saved just under $400.00 compared to the same prop from Australia but of course it depends on the value of the dollar at the time.

I dont know anything about the performance of the Bolly, but I do know it is much more expensive, than my imported Ivo. Just how much more would depend on where it is purchased and the value of the Ausi $ at the time.

Frank

Hey Frank

The Acft I have is a midwing version of a Texas Parasol there is a picture of it posted in a thread (building my own) on this forum (thanks again to Thomo for putting up the photo for me)and as of yesterday has taken me 4 years to complete, started from scratch, the prop is the last requirement.

I don't mind what I see of the bolly but given that my eventual intention is to swap out the 503 for the BMW I'm just trying to get out of buying a new prop for an engine which may have only a short period of usage(depending of course on the progress of BMW completion).

Rick

Cheers Glen nothing like having a few spares around. Appreciate your input re performance.

I have been seriously considering the Bolly as my gut feeling is that I may be able to utilise a 62 inch bolly on both engines

Rick

Hi Fly-tornado

No mate it's an R90S and some where on this forum there are some photo's of it. No reason why it could not be done same way to the R100 as far as I can see looking at the R100 photo's is that the flywheels of the two engines are a little different and if I could get access to an R100 engine it should be a fairly easy thing to do some CAD drawings to allow CNC machining of the parts. I have often contemplated doing just that but as yet have just been otherwise occupied.

Regards Rick