Hi

Guest general

Guest general

Hi, my name is Ian and I have just joined this great site. I live in Canberra and fly a beautiful 1946 Aeronca Champion out of Goulburn. I started flying gliders about 30 years ago and moved to having an engine up front about 10 years ago. I look forward to reading many great articles and contributing whenever possible. Cheers.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Ian!

Great to hear, I've done a little bit of gliding, but mainly do the towing bit now pulling gliders up! Never flown a Champ, but have always thought they look a lovely aeroplane. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Hi Ian,

Now gliding just seems like a real adrenalin rush - got to have confidence to get to where you want...

Guess its much quieter than a plane - no need to wear earphones...

Regards

Mark (not yet a pilot)

Welcome to the forums Ian.

As a youngster I always loved the Aeronca's, and can relate a sad story of building a beautiful quite large scale R/C model, only to have it fly away on it's maiden flight, never to be seen again.

The radio controls I also built myself, using acorn valves, probably not too many on here would remember them, as they came from old walki-talkies from the government surplus shops. Even Aeronca's were'nt old in those days.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi General, Great little aeroplane the 'Airknocker'....I resurected and got one airworthy whilst I was working in California. Just couldn't see it rot away on the line. I think it was a 'Champ'..side by side seating. Really simple little aircraft with heaps of Character. I look foward to hearing more from you on the forum...............Welcome ..................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest general
Howdy Ian and welcome! It's a shame you can't fly from somewhere closer to Canberra, many folk there seem to have this problem.

Thanks for the welcome, unfortunately recreational flying in Canberra is more difficult, however there is a great crowd at Goulburn which has been sold by the local council to a private individual but that is another issue that will be aired when the implications are fully known.

As a youngster I always loved the Aeronca's, and can relate a sad story of building a beautiful quite large scale R/C model, only to have it fly away on it's maiden flight, never to be seen again.

planedriver, you`ve remimded me of something that occured a few weeks ago, just up the road from here.

A guy purchased a $500.00 remote control hilicopter... His wife thinking, " This can`t be too hard " decided to have a go while he wasn`t there...She got it off the ground, alright, but it took off 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif..... A good search of the area took place :lost:but it`s still out there somewhere, possibly, never to be seen again.....086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Frank.

planedriver, you`ve remimded me of something that occured a few weeks ago, just up the road from here.A guy purchased a $500.00 remote control hilicopter... His wife thinking, " This can`t be too hard " decided to have a go while he wasn`t there...She got it off the ground, alright, but it took off 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif..... A good search of the area took place :lost:but it`s still out there somewhere, possibly, never to be seen again.....086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Frank.

That's the problem with 'Remote Control' , if you loose the control you haven't the remotest idea where it's gone. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

Guest general
Sold my "Champion Citabria" about 2 years ago. a plane I felt more a part of than anything else I ever was involved with. Stick with this classic stuff while ever it is still around. Nev

Hi Nev, yes you are correct, the classic aircraft have a special something about them. Low and slow but what a journey which is what it is all about.