ROTAX 912 ULS Crankcase Cracking

Guest burty

Guest burty

Have a 850 hour Rotax with crack in #2 cyl area, eng s/n not subject to SB inspection, any one else had this experience?

Guest Crezzi

I pressume the SB you are referring to is SB-29 ?

How much oil is leaking & can you post any photo's.

Cheers

John

Guest burty

John

Yes it is SB-29. The oil level was still OK in tank but had started to film on NLG and on top of engine, plus cowling. Also some in L/H carb drip tray. Will try and get some photos next time I am up at the airfield.

gb

Is it a crack, porosity or an "O" ring not fitted/damaged? I wouldn't keep using it, till you know, unless Rotax have a history and recommendation as to continued use and inspection. (Which is unlikely)..It is an aircraft motor after all. Some cracks are permitted for a while, under strict conditions in some motors, but shouldn't be regarded as normal or acceptable without approval. Nev

Guest burty

Nev

Definitely a semi circle crack in the area shown in SB, acft has been grounded until we can find a replacement eng. Quote for crankcase replacement from NZ agent is $12,000NZ so we are on the hunt for new eng.

gb

NevDefinitely a semi circle crack in the area shown in SB, acft has been grounded until we can find a replacement eng. Quote for crankcase replacement from NZ agent is $12,000NZ so we are on the hunt for new eng.

gb

That sounds v-e-r-y expensive. Is it worth it, or perhaps replacing it with, say, a Viking engine?

It IS expensive. In the absence of abuse Iwould wonder why the total cost should be borne by the purchaser. Perhaps there was something wrong with the quality control of the manufactured product as supplied. It wouldn't cost Rotax a heap to back this product. I wouldn't just cop this. Go further. Nev

• Like 1

It IS expensive. In the absence of abuse Iwould wonder why the total cost should be borne by the purchaser. Perhaps there was something wrong with the quality control of the manufactured product as supplied. It wouldn't cost Rotax a heap to back this product. I wouldn't just cop this. Go further. Nev

Hear hear...

Guest Maj Millard

Can we see some photos, 912s are not known for cracking at those hours. The SB was applicable to certain S/nos only. I do a lot of services on 912s, and haven't found a cracked case yet. I inspected my own 912 uls on the week end and... no cracks. I did find that a small oil seep that I have had for some time, is still there. It is at the fwd plug where you would alternatly fit the oil outlet line. It's really not big enought to worry about at this stage, and certainly not something I would ground the aircraft for. I would of course remove the plug and reseal it if it wasn't for an engine mount tube in the way. I'll keep an eye on it and wipe it with a rag every 50 hrs................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest burty

Maj, will follow up with photos next time I am at airfield. Used Ardrox developer on the crankcase half to confirm crack described above. Local Rotax agent quoted Rotax agreeing to subsidise repair so I guess that means they are aware of a bigger problem than the SB alluded to. Quote was 50% discount on new crankcase AU $7000 + freight as opposed to AU $12000 + freight.

Have you got the total cost of strip and assembly included in your calculations? There would be a few other items that would normally be replaced as a matter of course during a rebuild. Nev

Guest burty

Nev, The quote for labour and materials was NZ $4000 but I suspect that is just the starting point.

gb

• 3 weeks later...
Guest burty

No waranty, no insurance at this stage, bank Manager not involved, but cost per person reasonable - major benefit of a syndicate