Flying at Caboolture with Neil

Tomo

Great video Tomo. Can you advise me about editing as I have just bought a GoPro and have done some video but I'm interested in the best or easiest way to edit to disc and put to youtube, I was told the Panasonic DMRXW385 was the go. Your editing is very good and would love to know your methods and equipment.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

G'day Camel, the easiest way would be to edit it on your computer. So unless you really don't want to do that, I wouldn't bother about the Panasonic recorder. Unfortunately I can't help you much if you have a Windows computer in the way of a good editing program as I've never done much on them in that department. I use iMovie, primarily, on a Macintosh. Once you have the video file from the camera to your computer it's a pretty simple process of editing, though quite time consuming.

To then upload to Youtube, or any other video host, I just click on the button and away it goes... I only upload 720 HD as the file size is way to big for my simple internet supply if I go full HD!

Someone that edits on windows would probably be the best person to talk to if possible, as editing on a Mac is so much easier in my opinion!

Thanks Tomo, I don't have a Mac, once again great video and keep posting your videos, when I work out the the easy way to edit I will share.

Guest davidh10

I edit my videos on a laptop using AVS Video Editor running on Windows-7 (64 bit). The editing is simple. Doing a good job in terms of a pleasing production for non-aviators is much harder ;-)

I don't think it has anything to do with the underlying operating system, just the application that you use to do the editing. Almost all my videos have been uploaded to YouTube in "Full HD" (1080p 25FPS). The source video from my camera is AVCHD at 24Mbps, so files are huge. My archived files (that I've kept) run to 3/4 of a terrabyte and I've only been doing video for about 8 months.

I've processed the MP4 video from a GoPro with no problem too.

I find that wind noise / engine noise isn't very entertaining, so licensed a package of music tracks to use. AVS Video Editor allows mixing camera audio, a separate audio track and a voice input (such as commentary). It also handles picture in picture. In my "Formation Flight round the Clouds" video, I used that feature to show the view from both my camera and that of the CFI, who was using a GoPro.

Video editing does require quite a bit of computing power. My laptop has 8GB memory and a quad core processor with hyperthreading (8 processing threads). AVS Video Editor uses them all and the fans scream. Producing the edited video file takes roughly twice the viewing time, using my laptop. If you have a low end PC, expect processing to take a very long time.

Guest davidh10
Thanks Tomo, I don't have a Mac, once again great video and keep posting your videos, when I work out the the easy way to edit I will share.

YouTube has some simple editing tools that allow simple edits once uploaded. I haven't used them, and would not be satisfied with such simple tools, but it would be simple and no cost.

Camel... I have done it nice and simply for some of my videos on YOUTUBE itself. There is an edit function. Allows you to cut and snip, add music, stablize, adjust light a bit... pretty simple.

If you wish to use this method upload it to YOUTUBE and make it Private until you have it to where you want... easy if you have a reasonable allowance for uploads... it you don't like it don't make it Public. Cheap and Simple.

Hi Camel,

If you are on Windows 7 Home Premium then the free Windows Movie Maker software on it will do a reasonable job. Don't expect miracles (it IS Microsoft after all), but it will allow a basic video to be produced quickly and cheaply....

There are lots of "How to" type articles on the web on how to use Movie Maker too, which may help.

I would recommend 3 or 4GB of RAM too, otherwise it might be sloooooowwww.

Cheers

Neil

Buy a Mac...you will never look back...especially for video it makes it soooooooo easy......Hey Tomo..its very different flying from the right hand seat isn't it 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

I had the camera mounted up-side-down also, so had to invert the clip the right way with iMovie so you didn't have to tip your computer over!! poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

Yes it's a bit different! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I had the camera mounted up-side-down also, so had to invert the clip the right way with iMovie so you didn't have to tip your computer over!! poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gifYes it's a bit different! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Hey Tomo,

Being from the UK I thought all Australian videos were upside down 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Guest pookemon

I use Adobe Premiere Elements - which is about $100 (IIRC) - and is very easy to use. Like all the Adobe products it has plugin's/effects etc. The one I like is the distortion correction - so you can make the footage from a GoPro look alot less fish-eye.

Guest davidh10
My wife has a program for editing which turns out great HD video's, but when it is uploaded to UTube the quality drops big. Can anybody help us here?

If the video is good before you upload to YouTube, then perhaps it is the format that you are uploading that is the issue. All videos uploaded to YouTube are transcoded into the formats provided through their site.

You are going to have to start to understand some of the technicalities under the surface... as one advert says "oils ain't oils"... well the same goes for video. It starts in the camera, where it is captured in a proprietary manner from the image sensor and encoded to the format(s) supported by that camera make / model. Then you use some editing software that has to produce the video in some desired format, be it for DVD, BluRay, Mobile phone, YouTube, PC playback. The video has to be transcoded to the appropriate format and you often have "Options" that allow you to determine not only the output format, but the quality.

Ditto for audio.

Don't think that you can tell the format of a video by the file ending. The file and ending is just a wrapper that contains metadata and one or more video and audio streams. Each has its own encoding and requires a compatible Codec.

Some formats uploaded to YouTube may lose quality in the transcoding... try another format. Are you loading the same format to YouTube that you are watching? Do you use an application that you just push a button to upload... if so do you even know what format it is uploading... try dragging and dropping an actual video file that you have watched into the upload dialog presented in the browser for YouTube.

You could also read some of the technical info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/internet/youtube/formats.html (not all accurate... even AVI is just a wrapper, which optionally contains multiple video and audio streams).

I hope this sheds some light, but there are so many variables...

Nice one Tomo, but seeing as how that Savannah bucks around, I'll stick to a Jabbie. augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Now, I usually turn off music if applied because people don't apply stuff that fits the theme, but some how, whatever you added, was bloody good. What is it?

Nice one Tomo, but seeing as how that Savannah bucks around, I'll stick to a Jabbie. augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gifNow, I usually turn off music if applied because people don't apply stuff that fits the theme, but some how, whatever you added, was bloody good. What is it?

The bucking around was probably me!! augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Glad you liked it Doug! I was a bit unsure if people would, but it was the right length, and I could use it, so I just did! It's a song by Steve Jablonsky, called "Let us Quest"

Tomo... how about a "au natural" version for those of us who like to hear our aeroplane noises??

I suppose... it's a bit boring though unless it's a radial!! (soon to come)