Townsvilles' Bluewater park airstrip fly-in a success......

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Attended the opening and welcome today put on by the Townsville fliers, at the recently purchased Bluewater park airstrip North of Townsville.

This long sealed strip in the bush had sat idle for some years being offered for sale, and was in danger of falling into developers hands which may have see the strip dissapear forever.

Wife and I arrived around mid-day in the Lightwing and landed on the new and well prepared grass strip beside the old sealed strip that the new owners have prepared. There were around 15 aircraft already parked, and 50-60 folks in the hangar enjoying drinks, good food, and good company with like minded pilots and local visitors.

Aircraft assembled included Jabs, Gazelles, Carbon Cub, Conventional geared Europa, F1 Rocket, glasstar, Lightwing, and several single-engine GA type aircraft.

Visitors came from the North with some from the Tully and Innisfail areas, and from Ayr to the South. Local UL pilots attended from both Starke and Montpelier airfields. Some of the Northern visitors had suffered considerable damage to houses and hangars in last years' Cyclone Yasi in their areas, and it was good to see them up and running again.

The flyers who have gone out of their way to purchase, secure, and see that this handy strip survives for future use, deserve all our support, and I wish them well in their future endevours. Hopefully more enjoyable days like today, will be forthcoming in the future. They have an excellent website by the way at www.townsvilleflyers.com...... Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

If you wish to look at Bluewaterpark on GE it is to the North of Townsville, about 2-3 NM in from the coast, and just outside of the Class C boundry. Coordinates can be taken from the above website.

Guest Maj Millard

Bob, if your coming through the Townsvile area tomorrow why don't you stop for a break. The boys are camping at Starke, I could meet you at Montpelier, or you could drop in at Bluewater Park. My Mob is 0422119051...let me know what you decide I'll see what I can arrange fuel-wise for you. I can also give you current runway info at either for you. Contact at Bluewater park is Alan Middleton on 0407356948....................Maj...

Bob, if your coming through the Townsvile area tomorrow why don't you stop for a break. The boys are camping at Starke, I could meet you at Montpelier, or you could drop in at Bluewater Park. My Mob is 0422119051...let me know what you decide I'll see what I can arrange fuel-wise for you. I can also give you current runway info at either for you. Contact at Bluewater park is Alan Middleton on 0407356948....................Maj...

Maj.

Will contact you mid afternoon today.

Bob

Guest Maj Millard

No dramas mate.......................................................................Maj...

Hi Maj,

Sounds like excellent fun! I wish I had been there.

"The flyers who have gone out of their way to purchase, secure, and see that this handy strip survives for future use, deserve all our support" - hear, hear!

It is really encouraging that flyers are banding together to keep airfields open, rather than let them be acquired by developers. Keep up the good work, people!

Cheers

Neil

We are currently at Longreach and will by overflying Bluewater park on way to Cairns tomorrow.Bob

I am sooo jealous right now.

Hope both you and Sal have a safe flight. Send some pictures please!!! :)

-Linda

Thanks to the guys from townsviller flyers for hosting the event and the warm welcome given to those of us from Cairns, innisfail & Tully who went down. a great weekend.

There is some footage on our SAAA facebook page. Www.facebook.com/SAAA34FNQ and also my page. search John Martin and go to the one with the jabiru in the icon.

Thanks again

I am sooo jealous right now.Hope both you and Sal have a safe flight. Send some pictures please!!! :)

-Linda

G'day Brian and Linda,

Jab. Is safely tucked away in Farri's hangar. Frank and I did a beach landing yesterday afternoon in the Drifter.The beach is only a few hundred meters from Franks , and is not accessible by road. Light was quickly fading , so not much time on beach to get back before last light. Although my first time in a rag and tube, I felt very comfortable with Frank . He is an accomplished pilot , although I thought having to wipe the sand off my shoes , before getting back in was a bit over the top !! Sorry Frank , we will look after your Kia. !! Will post some pics when I learn to operate this iPad.

Bob & Sally

• Like 2

HiIt is really encouraging that flyers are banding together to keep airfields open, rather than let them be acquired by developers. Keep up the good work, people.

May this success story be repeated around the country!!

• Like 2

Frank , we will look after your Kia. !! Bob & Sally

Hey Bob and Sally! I`ve got good news and bad news for you. The good news first! The kia goes well and will definitely get you back home.

The bad news! The Jab is now on my property and the dogs will take care of any trespassers.

Frank.

Ps, 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Have a nice drive home and watch out for the maniacs on the road. .... drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

Guest Maj Millard

So what's going on up there Frank ??...............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

So what's going on up there Frank ??...............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'm happy Maj. I reckon the Kia 's probably worth more than the Jab !! Blowing pretty hard up here at the moment but don't reckon I'll stop young Frank from going up later.

G`Day Ross, What`s going on up here?..... Well! The first day I took Bob for a short flight in the Drifter and we went out to the beach,then yesterday afternoon, I did a couple of demo flights for Bob and Ron Biondi.... I`d phoned Ron and let him know that Bob and Sally were here and to come and say G`Day to them....I simply did the usual thing I do when I`m demonstrating just what the Drifter can do, while they stood on the ground and watched.

Bob would like to take some photos, so,weather permiting, later this afternoon I`m going to take Bob up again. The fact that he wants to go up again is a positive sign. If we can`t do it today we`ll do it as soon as we can, as I`ve invited them to stay as long as they want to.

I`ve had a fairly good look around Bobs Jabiru and I have to say that I`m truely impressed! He`s done an excellent job on it!

Bob has offered me the right hand seat when he leaves here so all being well, I`ll fly with him to Innisfail and Fran will drive Sally there and pick me up.

Both Bob and Sally are a very nice couple and Fran and I are happy to have met them.

Frank.

• Like 1

So your strip is long enough for a Jab Frank?

I'll have to fly in there if so, it doesn't look like I'll get there if I have to drive :)

Cheers

Greg

G`Day Greg, The best and shortest thing I can say is, the main strip is 510 mts long, end to end and getting in and out will depend on all the factors that effect the performance of your aircraft at the time.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

G`Day Greg, The best and shortest thing I can say is, the main strip is 510 mts long, end to end and getting in and out will depend on all the factors that effect the performance of your aircraft at the time.Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Thanks for that Frank, You forgot to mention the Pilots abilities drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

I'll give you a call next time I'm looking for somewhere to go!

Cheers

Greg

Thanks for that Frank, You forgot to mention the Pilots abilities drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gifI'll give you a call next time I'm looking for somewhere to go.Cheers,Greg

Hey Greg, The pilots ability is one of the factors effecting aircraft performance! 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif 073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

Cheers, 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Frank.