Foxbat vs Jabiru 160

I am interested to hear anyones views on both aircraft. When looking at aircraft my first problem is my weight of 115 kg. The plane will be used 2 up most of the time with a combined weight of 170 kg. Most flying will be local within 2 hrs of base with hopefully a handfull of trips away. Probably second hand aircraft as new is out of my reach. Also if people would like to discuss buying versus hiring long term. I appreciate the input from all of the experianced people on this site.

I've never flown a Jab 160, but I have flown a Foxy, and they are beautiful to fly. They take off very quickly, land slowly, stall gently, fly hands-off, respond crisply, and have that Rotax reliability. The only Jab I have flown, an LSA55 was not particularly pleasant, and the build quality was awful.

The buying v hiring debate generally comes down to time and money in my experience. The money side of things generally evens out at around the 100 hours a year mark (excluding purchase cost) if you're paying someone else to do the maintenance. If you have time to do your own maintenance (and I personally argue that's a waste of perfectly good flying time but many seem to enjoy it) then it works out cheaper of course.

Second hand with aircraft is best option as they tend to depreciate over time (RA more than GA as GA aircraft pretty much bottomed out 20 years ago) and as with a car the first hit of depreciation is driving it off the showroom floor.

You may find yourself led more by your heart than your head in the "buy v hire" debate however and I can say there's no shame in that whatsoever!

G,day John

Have flown both so I will try and give you my unbiased opinion.

J 160, great airframe, good turn of speed, quite comfortable to sit in, engine reliability ??? questionable, economical, great range (135lts) instrument panel throttles, cheap spare parts and locally made and they are very well priced. 540kg max auw

Foxbat,

Great slow speed handling, good turn of speed when required, very forgiving, comfortable to sit in, Rotax powered reliability but not as economical as Jabiru at higher speed cruise, 90 lt capacity A22L or 112lt LS

Great visibility, more expensive parts and dearer to buy.

If I had the choice I would have the Foxbat LS (600kg max auw) as it is a far more forgiving aircraft and IMO a far superior engine which will more than likely make TBO, and it lands and takes off in very short distances.

Alf

Everyone makes mistakes they say. Unless you never made anything.

If you are near the sea the fact that the fox is metal may be a consideration. It's a better plane , but there is a price difference. The later ones are better that the eearlier ones. You can pretty much put them down anywhere. Nev

• Like 1

It has been pointed out that I have spelt Jabiru incorrectly. To all the offended people on this site I humbly apologise. Lmao

John,

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, unless your an english teacher or a rocket scientist, if your one of those start selling the house and go into hiding lol.

Alf

Personal views only... and I've only done a little bit in a Foxbat A22

I would not like to be in a Foxbat crash.

Foxbats are a little noisier and hotter inside I reckon.

Jabiru 160 is harder to fly, and no where near the same STOL performance.

Foxbat is easy to land, light and responsive controls and at slow speeds.

The foxy's throttle is a little awkward.

They are about the same 'trickiness' in getting in and out of the aircraft. You sit up a lot straighter in the foxy.

To me they are two totally different aircraft, both are good in their own way.

With a GA background I encountered both aircraft in clocking up my 5 hours for a RAA Pilot Certificate. I enjoyed flying both, but there are some areas where one will excel over the other, and clearly identifying what particular role you want your aircraft to perform is very important in forming your preference. The issue of choice is yours, but sounding out other opinions is very sound, but not a guarantee that they suit your point of view.

My perspective was that I favoured the Jabiru in the training role. The Foxbat is easier to fly, but I feel that most students who can fly the Jab proficiently will easily transition into another aircraft.

If short/bush strips come into play the Foxbat is clearly ideal. A J170/Foxbat would be fairer comparison on this issue.

For pure piloting indulgence the Foxbat heads the list. 40 Knots on final, solo, with good control authority is a great feel, but this is a capability that is not required all that often.

As a cruising aircraft the J160 is going to take you further and faster. Two up, especially if the bodies are a bit solid, MAUW will probably mean you won't be at full tanks.

Whilst the J160 looks diminutive I was surprised my 6' 1" 100 Kg creaky frame folded into it quite easily. There are Foxbats with a control yoke, and some with a central joystick. The ones with a joystick have the throttle lever positioned alongside the seat, and entry into this variant has to be very careful to avoid contact. Otherwise the roominess and visibility of the Foxbat is a big positive.

One particular negative for me on the Foxbat is that infernal electric elevator trim. YUK!! It is only on the joystick models. The flap lever is not standard issue, but it is positive and you do get used to it.

The J160 I flew has its original engine in it with 800 hours and had not missed a beat. I'll stay out of the engine issue.

A lot of fun can be had in both aircraft. The ultimate choice is yours.

The 170 seems to be a little more forgiving at slow speeds. During the hold off/flare there us a nice roll off of lift (I think possibly because of the bigger wings, but also the winglets). When the 160 decides it is finished flying, and if you haven't got it nice and close to the ground - be prepared for a simulated carrier landing!

It has been pointed out that I have spelt Jabiru incorrectly. To all the offended people on this site I humbly apologise. Lmao

Glad you can laugh about it John, my comment was not meant to be taken in a serious context in any way. I'm certainly as bad as the next person for spelling mistakes.

Pud

• Like 1

John,

Remember the J170 has a 600kg mtow, and the J160 is 540kg. The A22LS is 600kg Mtow as well, with the A22L being lower.

Being on the heavier side as well, i mostly fly the J170 for the MTOW. MTOW and usable load are the first think i evaluate when i look at an aircraft! If it cant carry 2 110kg guys and a some fuel.... there aint much point in flying it for me.

I really wish there was a foxbat or two for hire and fly around SA.

That looks like 4971 in your picture. I fly 5246 and 7560.

Cheers.

Tomo, I' don't want to be in any crash!!

Don't we all, but no good going through life not being a little prepared! Bit like building a house without a roof, saying - "I don't want it to rain!" Guess who's gonna wish he had a roof if it ever rained?! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif