How not to land a pa28

kgwilson

A good example of what wheelbarrowing will do. The pilot actually touches down on the main wheels first but after the bounce pushes the nose into the runway... eight times until the inevitable happens. All he had to do was hold the yoke back & let it settle. PA28s virtually land themselves.

Mooneys do it even better. In this example it results in pitch effect predominantly but in a crosswind situation the aircraft has sideloads as well, hence the wheelbarrow effect. All he had to do was hold off till the plane was ready to settle on the mains. Was the runway too short or was there a tailwind? In a tailwind landing it is common to pick up extra airspeed near the ground, and that could have been the situation here. Nev

A Cherokee is one of the most docile aircraft you'll ever find, but still flies and lands to the laws of kinetic energy like your average tennis ball.

I'm sure this would have been a very early stage student, maybe first or second solo, but it does provide a lesson for all of us to put in our refresher locker.....that the dynamics of a nose wheel first, or nose over due to pointing your aircraft at the landing point (advocated by some here), or going to sleep are a magnification best fixed by a go round.

We had this video on here before a while back.I was very harsh in regards to the way the pilot "Flew " the aircraft . There is something seriously lacking . If it was a student , then that is OK.These things happen.If a licenced pilot.Something is realy wrong.

Mooneys do it even better. In this example it results in pitch effect predominantly but in a crosswind situation the aircraft has sideloads as well, hence the wheelbarrow effect. All he had to do was hold off till the plane was ready to settle on the mains. Was the runway too short or was there a tailwind? In a tailwind landing it is common to pick up extra airspeed near the ground, and that could have been the situation here. Nev

I agree, Nev. the dust seems to be indicating a rear quartering wind from the starboard side. The pilot also seems to have a lot of speed on and hasn't really flared at all.

Kaz

Kaz

Yep quartering tail wind for sure now that I look at it again. Bugger all of a flare but pulling the yoke back after the bounce & holding it would still have got it down OK. There was plenty of runway left.

Guest Maj Millard

A case of GA being a lot more expensive than RA.............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif