Transparency

Hi guys, My name is Daryl Pilbeam Auf/Raa (removed). Casa ARN (removed). I am putting this out here because I know some people here as their real names and some like me as there internet names. Time to let everybody know who I am. We have to all stick together .

• Like 1

Guys,

I've removed your ARNs and RAA membership numbers from your posts. Once Google gets hold of those sorts of detail, you increase the risk of mysteriously applying for loans or racking up a credit card debt in Nigeria or similar.

It's safer to place those sort of details into your profiles and then locking your profiles down to members only. ;)

• Like 4

Guys,I've removed your ARNs and RAA membership numbers from your posts. Once Google gets hold of those sorts of detail, you increase the risk of mysteriously applying for loans or racking up a credit card debt in Nigeria or similar.

It's safer to placing those sort of details into your profiles and then locking your profiles down to members only. ;)

Thank You Steve . I didnt think of that.Cheers

Identity theft is a real and present danger ... I don't use Facebook and other social media and I burn all my receipts. I'm not paranoid; I'm just aware of how much of it is going on today.

kaz

Good Point Kaz. Yah know ATM. Im over peeps dying.I feel like giving it away.Motor bikes, flying, To many deaths.Im over it.

We can't control when we will be taken from this earth Dazza.

• Like 1

I am as my username says. The K stands for Kevin. You can guess what the G stands for. I only put it there as people keep putting a B in there for some obscure reason. My profile says what I fly & what I am building & where I hang out & you can even find my birthday which gives everyone plenty of time to save up for a birthday present. A gift voucher for 1000 litres of fuel or an EFIS are just 2 suggestions. Oh if you happen to be Gina Reinhart just a half hours wages would be fine.

I lost my best mate to cancer 3 years ago. I would rather go doing something I love. Dazza it is tough some times but enjoy your life and spend time remembering those that we love but have lost.

My name is Tim Heylbut, sherlock, s.a ,I lost my best mate,my number 1 fan,and my soul mate to lung cancer last year ( I wrote her this song -

[MEDIA=soundcloud]tim-heylbut/fallen-angel[/MEDIA] ) I am a semi pro musician, and my stage name is "HAILSON" I play guitar whilst playing drums and singing - 1 man band style,mainly focus on original.http://soundcloud.com/tim-heylbut. 12 tracks(also play all the instruments,banjo,double bass,ukelele,spanish cuatro etc...yep thats me.

I am as my username says. The K stands for Kevin. You can guess what the G stands for. I only put it there as people keep putting a B in there for some obscure reason. My profile says what I fly & what I am building & where I hang out & you can even find my birthday which gives everyone plenty of time to save up for a birthday present. A gift voucher for 1000 litres of fuel or an EFIS are just 2 suggestions. Oh if you happen to be Gina Reinhart just a half hours wages would be fine.

would you settle for some used rec mags? ill wrap them real nice..

Identity theft is a real and present danger ... I don't use Facebook and other social media and I burn all my receipts. I'm not paranoid; I'm just aware of how much of it is going on today.kaz

We know where you are Kaz, we only have to look up for an erratic Auster

• Like 1

Mate, that song for your wife is brilliant, you sing that with so much heart it's just beautiful. Credit to you, what great words also.

When I get a chance I'll go through more of your other songs, but I'm already a fan of you just from that song. I'm involved a bit in the music thing as well, but mainly play Saxophone in a worship band, piano and some singing.

• Like 1

Tim. Great song mate, im a bit of a hard ass sometimes, but I hafta say your song caused me some eye moisture. Almost as much as when i read that Tomo sings..hehe..

Dazza, I feel your pain mate. This year I have struggled with similar thoughts, and not a day goes by where some negative thoughts don't creep in. We have had the worst year or two that I can remember. Far too many people paying the ultimate price for their 'recreation'.

I am at a loss as to why. Any random scattering of events over time will inevitably end up showing a spike in the statistics. If you rip up a piece of paper into hundreds of tiny pieces and then throw them all in the air, there will be little piles here and there where theres a concentration of pieces landing together, its just the laws of probability. We could annalyze and ponder the reasons, look for a smoking gun to point the finger at, but at the end of the day it won't make any difference. All we can do is control the risk's as best we can, and accept it.

I was speaking to James Cameron (yes the hollywood director) at the funeral for Whighty in melbourne earlier this year. He was on board a ship waiting for the helicopter to arrive that crashed and killed Whighty and Mike deGruy at jaspers. An 8 year effort to design, build and test the deepest diving submarine in the world had came to fruition and they were doing the final test dives in Jervis bay.

James said a call came over the radio that the choppa had crashed. Whighty and James were the best of friends and had been working on the sub project for 8 years, so he freaked out and raced to Jaspers brush to see what was happening.

When he got here it was clear his two friends had not survived. He was overcome with grief and devistation. He cancelled the dive project. He couldnt see how they could continue in the face of the tragedy. When he was telling me this story he was visibly shaken and upset, but just then he put his beer down, put his arm round me, and with tears whelling in his eyes he said to me " you know why I decided that I had to finish the project, why I HAD to complete the mission?... because the boys would have wanted me to. They would be angry as all hell if they knew I bailed out because they weren't here"

Being a human is the ultimate way for the universe to know itself. We are a collection of basic elements and atoms, the same atoms that are scattered amongst the universe, nothing more, no magical component. But we are so so lucky to be a collection of these elements organized in a fashion that means we can know, we can understand, observe, marval at the wonders of the world and the universe. Of the countless atoms being formed and scattered randomly around the universe, WE are lucky enough to be a pile of them that can see, hear, feel and touch the world. I reckon its our responsibility to learn, touch and feel the world as much as we can while we are here.

Flying has an element of risk, sure, but what a way to touch and feel the world. We cant just sit at home, safe, comfortable, and let the world rotate under us without getting out there and grabbing it. Our friends that we have lost would not want us to spend the rest of our lives wrapped in cotton wool, they'd be telling us to suck it up, chin up, strap ya boots on and get into it..

Cheers

• Like 6

I remember a few years ago, about 5 years ago I think.We had a realy bad run of motorbike deaths here on the Gold Coast.I think the number was 30 or 38 deaths in one year.I got to the stage of not riding my motorbike for about 4 months.I was actually scared to ride it on the road. After about 4 months I thought to my self. You know, Dazza you are being silly, you have been riding motorbikes since you where 10 years old.Get on it. That is exactly what I did.I also missed not riding her. Im sure we will all be fine, it takes time.

• Like 2

I am the same, every day I read every news item that comes in to the site in order to pick one to set as the featured item on the site home page and it has got to the stage that I am scared of flying...you read about so many accidents and you just wonder what the hell are you doing, you have a wife and two young kids to think about...however I know that one day, hopefully soon, I will get back into the mindset of getting back up in the air again.

One thing I note when reading every news item is you get an idea of trends...probably about a year ago, I kept on finding news stories every couple of days that had the same outcome to the same event that was happening around the world...this one was pilots turning back when experiencing engine failures on take off...it seemed that every 2nd day I was reading a news story of that same thing...that went on for a couple of months and then the theme of news stories changed to something else.

• Like 1

Interesting Ian.

I have a young family aswel. And its that thought that scares me the most. Im not scared of dyeing in a prang, but rather scared for my boys. But I remind myself all the time, I am teaching them NOW how to live. I cant teach them to be scared of living. The world would be a very different place if men had been scared to live. Almost all human endeavor that matters has an element of risk.

• Like 3

We are all different and react to things in different ways. When tragedies occur there is grief often accompanied with anger, denial, disbelief and fear.

Way back in the 70s during the Hang Gliding early days we did a lot of silly things that would not be tolerated today. Some of these ended up with pilots dying. One was at a national championship event that I was the meet director at. The reactions from everyone (about 100 of us) were as varied as the number of people there and we were in the spotlight yet again. They varied from things like "cancel the comp", "I'm never going to fly again" 'He was an idiot", "the best pilot I ever knew" Get on with it" etc etc.

We called a meeting and allowed anyone to have their say. It resulted in a decision to have a memorial flyover of the site the following day. The thought was that he would not have wanted us to grieve and give up but get on with the zest and vigour & love of flight that defined us all. Everyone bar none flew dipping their wing over the site. The competition continued and it strengthened our collective resolve to be better, and enhanced the camaraderie among us all. It was sad, it shouldn't have happened but it did and we all learned something. We all got back on the horse.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?

http://www.lifeline.org.au/

Or anyone here you feel comfortable with in private or public....

I've seen a reasonable amount of death in my time as a Registered Nurse at the pointy end of things (Emergency, ICU, Coronary Care). It never gets any easier to wittness it straight in front of you. You end up with a blunted external facade to it after a while to deal with it.

In one way this is why I am now pursuing OHS, to try to stop some of it before they end up in Emergency. (prevention is better than cure)

Gary.

• Like 5