Maximum Permitted Legal Engine Hours

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, however there is no such thing as 'on condition' in RA-Aus.Coincidentally I heard that this was being looked into at the moment as several aircraft in schools have been grounded due to running over TBO on 2 stroke 582's.

This is one of the things that makes RA-Aus different from GA as there is nothing in the technical manual regarding running an engine 'on condition.'

The trouble with this is that everyone knows that a 582 will do 1,000 hours on a crank, but the engine manufacturer's TBO is not a recommended figure, it's mandatory.

In GA an engine is run on condition after TBO, however it cannot be used any longer in the charter category, only for private flying and flight training and during this time requires compression checks and the like during 100 hourlies.

Techman feel free to comment if you can drag yourself away from annual leave.

The Ops Manual is being altered to allow "on Condition" even as we speak (thank God)

Oh well that's torn it, I better go and buy a new jab motor as it will be US having sat for 3 months without running.

You guys need to lighten up a bit instead of being the doom and gloom brigade as I can't afford to keep buying new motors every 3 months.