DIY Firewall Forward

nik

Hello,

I'm on the verge of buying an XL kit and would like to thank this forum for all the advice, especially the "Another new Savannah XL on its way" thread. It makes it easier to work out what options I need to consider; what modifications I may need to do, and all the issues related to construction.

I'm toying with the idea of buying just the basic kit and doing all the Firewall Forward (instruments & engine components) myself.

Any advice on how difficult it is to buy and install instrumentation of my choice vs. going with what ICP delivers?

Secondly, is collecting and assembling all the engine components as daunting as it looks?

Many thanks,

Nick

• Like 1

Kit 1 at $20500 or there abouts, Kit 2 at $30000, Are you sure you can put together all your instruments, air box, radiators, engine mount and muffler, wiring harnesses, your hoses, upholstery and seating, all for $9500. You will enjoy cutting out all those little pieces of carpet to just the right shape, just like the laser cut ones in the kit. If you change your mind you can't get the extra bits to upgrade your kit for the difference in the kit price I am sure, I asked Tom that very question the first year we went to Natfly at Temora.

Thx, that's the sort of answer I'm was expecting - laser cut carpet? that's new! Having read the threads, I thought it better to go away from ICP instruments and source my own. The engine section changes suggested also meant ditching the oil cooler, among other changes, so I thought...better to start from scratch.

What engine change doesn't use the oil cooler? Sometimes you have to cut the cowling and extend it to accomodate a 914 but thet is to make extra room for the oil cooler and radiator to give extra clearance.

- laser cut carpet? that's new!

The carpet looks like a big bundle but when you open it out all the pieces are precut to shape, you just have to nick the last part of each cut with a hobby knife and put the glue on.

Occasionally someone puts in a glass panel and sells off their excess instruments, If you are sure you want to do it yourself you might be able to do a deal with someone like that.

Hello,I'm on the verge of buying an XL kit and would like to thank this forum for all the advice, especially the "Another new Savannah XL on its way" thread. It makes it easier to work out what options I need to consider; what modifications I may need to do, and all the issues related to construction.

I'm toying with the idea of buying just the basic kit and doing all the Firewall Forward (instruments & engine components) myself.

Any advice on how difficult it is to buy and install instrumentation of my choice vs. going with what ICP delivers?

Secondly, is collecting and assembling all the engine components as daunting as it looks?

Many thanks,

Nick

? The Savannah brochure shows an "optional instrument panel but there seems to be no price list entry for this option.

See: http://www.icp.it/avio/images/SavannahSEN.pdf

What engine change doesn't use the oil cooler? Sometimes you have to cut the cowling and extend it to accomodate a 914 but thet is to make extra room for the oil cooler and radiator to give extra clearance.

Sorry, I was refering to the coolant thermostat that was discussed in some of the threads..

80kts,I'll ask the question..what is the brand of instruments that ICP delivers as standard?

This is the current list of instruments delivered for Savannah XL aircraft (from ICP):

Standard instrumentation

Anemometer D. 3 1/8” with coloured arcs

Altimeter D. 3 1/8” with setting window

Variometer D. 3 1/8”

Compass

Sljp and skid indicator

Tachometer

Fuel pressure

Oil pressure

Oil temperature

Hourmeter

Voltmeter

Airbox temperature indicator (for Rotax 912 ULS only)

Water temperature in front left engine head

Water temperature in back right engine head