And down goes another jab.

motzartmerv

What is "Tombstone Technology" meant to mean.? If you owned a jabiru you would give up. Honestly, they have some problems but you have got to wonder how much of it is bad workmanship and maintenance, There is a lot of good stuff on Jabaru's website. have all those instructions and bits of advice been carried out with all the engines out there? I reckon I'm pretty neutral on this one, but you will never get anywhere unless you make sure that you deal in facts. A lot of this condemnation is by people who don't operate them or own them. I am not sure that the engines Motz has been dealing with have had the right thing done with them either. Nev

Motz might have to change the LAME he uses.... 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea. That would make sence if the two recent engine failures were maintained by the same l2. Or were even in the same state, or operated in the same school.

This aeroplane is flown from my satellite school in goondiwindi. I'm pretty sure I've said that 3 times now. I think motz is pretty sure what needs changing, and it ain't the professional engineers he uses.

Yea. That would make sence if the two recent engine failures were maintained by the same l2. Or were even in the same state, or operated in the same school.This aeroplane is flown from my satellite school in goondiwindi. I'm pretty sure I've said that 3 times now. I think motz is pretty sure what needs changing, and it ain't the professional engineers he uses.

I think you need a Charge of the Horse Brigade.

(for Charge, read Change)

Tombstone Technology: 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Lots of products are put on the market with little safety testing. For a long time cars didn't have seatbelts but when the death rate embarassed the governments too much, they were manditory. We like to think a life has infinite value, but not true. The amount spent on safety in the airlines is based on a dollar value of your life-some figure I can't remember. If they spent more on a passenger, then it becomes cheaper to let the passenger die [statistically speaking] When you think about it, you can't spend an infinite amount on safety because there isn't an infinite amount available

Lots of products are put on the market with little safety testing. For a long time cars didn't have seatbelts but when the death rate embarassed the governments too much, they were manditory. We like to think a life has infinite value, but not true. The amount spent on safety in the airlines is based on a dollar value of your life-some figure I can't remember. If they spent more on a passenger, then it becomes cheaper to let the passenger die [statistically speaking] When you think about it, you can't spend an infinite amount on safety because there isn't an infinite amount available

Come on Sapphire, I was one of the pioneers of seat belts, safety harnesses, roll cages and a few other things, and we sure didn't have any statistics to show they would reduce deaths other than in some US auto racing, particularly NASCAR.

Didn't they used to think seatbelts were dangerous?

I was an Undertaker for many years and collected a number of folk out of cars and machinery that died because they couldnt get out of a vehicle because of them. In saying that I am sure they save more lives than by not wearing one. Anyway off topic. Jury still out about these Jabs!...062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

MotzWhere the inlet manifold connects to the head they have or at least they are supposed to have gaskets, stripped my 3300 yesterday for a top. Where they come out of the air box there is no gasket.

I think you will find that there are no gaskets used on th 3300A only "O" rings and sealants Cheers

There were two Jabs at a club I flew at and they were doing top end overhauls almost as often as they changed underwear. One new plane needed it done after 300-400 hours and another was done 3 times in about 3 years. He eventually sold it for something else which had electrical problems. Planes keep you busy

The guys from the brumby factory showed me a plane that was on it's 3rd engine with 15 hours on it. It's since done 100 and something, but it's the third attempt engine. O think that Ome played no small part in them not using the engine anymore. Only offering rota and lycoming engines in new acft now.

I think you will find that there are no gaskets used on th 3300A only "O" rings and sealants Cheers

See section "G" of the Jabiru 3300 engine parts manual. As you can see there are 6 gaskets and 18 cap screws (i.e. 3 screws per head) the "O" rings are on the plenum which is mounted on the underside of the engine

1 4109824 2 GASKET 6

PH0535N CAP SCREW 3/4 X 1/4UNC 18

from what been said it sounds like you are sitting on a granades bit like the old rotax 532 !bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

I think I be looking at replacing a jab with a 912 s or a 582:amazon: I feel safer

.I have a friend who but a jab in a lightwing and he always got the heads of the thing he always trying to get it right ,,

but in saying that I know of others early jabs that are going fine and still getting around everywhere with no problems so to me it sound like a late model issue '

OK, talking about induction pipe to head not main induction plenum

These have 3 bolts and a gasket, also should have been checked at 25 hr service........some are a bit hard to get to without correct long ball head allen key

This is an assembly/service mistake, very little to do with Jabiru engine design

Id be pulling that head for valve inspection, it would have been running lean for some time.

Tell the owner to fit an Engine monitor, would have saved this emergency landing without doubt in my mind.