Tomo's new fuel tank - production

Guest Maj Millard

Don't let those doubting Thomasses bother you Tomo. If I had 50Lts of motion lotion sitting right behind my kazoo (especially in a crash), I'd want the damn tank to be pretty strong also....finished product looks real good....they just don't know the creative powers of the Scott family do they Tomo !.......................................................Maj...080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

So, how's the prop going? 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

G'day Arthur, sorry I haven't got back to you on that, today was pretty much the day I gave it a good run. Ended up making some more pitch blocks, 0.3 I think I did.. And it is perfect! I did about three hours flying around today and it's going well so far. Thanks!

I just chucked a new tank my sierra as part of the upgrades. Went with a race car tank - 3mm thick added 1.2kg to the aircraft and this included the safety foam in the rear. Brilliance of it was that it is machine tigged and pretty strong. I will sacrifice weight for integrity any day of the week. Done 4 weeks in a burns unit and the extra weight seems a small price to pay............

Tommo - yours looks pretty damn good.

tank.jpeg.331ab84d30f4ee196b00a58fd7eced38.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice one Mr Mal!! Yeah I think people forget we're talking about aluminium not cast iron or something!! The extra thickness for strength is a small weight loss to pay really. Not to mention it's easier to weld.... 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Firstly, I really enjoy the technical comments and knowledge that you all freely share on the various forums and I respect those who offer critical well thought out argument and analysis. I've only been closely with flying and maintaining aircfrat for a few years although have a long history with motorcycles etc.

I co own a Gazelle flying out of Penfield Victoria and adore our "Gladys", she's a most suitable machine for where I am in my flying/family/financial life point. My principle iritation is her limited fuel capacity (about 50l max incl reserve). I carry 2x 40 l plastic fuel jerrys on pax seat on country trips and whilst passable is not ideal. I've seen additional 25l tanks in the wings installed when reskinning or rebuilding but would be job to cut open the wing, install and rebaric and do the connections (or would it really??). I seek your thoughts on fabricating and installing a 40+ l alum tank, similiar to that which Thomo has shown us, rear of the seat. The battery and fuel collector canister would need relocation otherwise there should be room. Thanks Matt Walsh

Hi Andy, I co own Gazelle 3478 with pilot Neil Ssdwell who is a forum member also. We haven't ventured north of Temora (attended Natfly'12). This aircraft was formerly owned by Rod Birrell's (RAA board member for Victoria) Airsports Flying School at Penfield, Victoria.

Guest Andys@coffs

Matt, sorry, what numbers before the Rego....but then I think youve already answered that in a round about way, if it was used for training Im assuming 24-3478 in which case you cant easily add or change the fuel tanks and if you do you need the factory to accept the change and agree to cever it within their documentation set....So, simple answer is no!

Andy

Looks great Tomo! I would never be able to build something like that, what does the acid wash do? Does it stop the material contaminating the fuel?

The acid wash reduces the tank thickness from the original 4mm.

• Helpful 1