Site Locked Me Out

Admin

I am posting this more of an advisory to everyone then anything else. The last couple of days one of the security systems on our server has locked me out of the site several times and...it is like I have been banned from the site or the site seems down and I can't connect to it. How I have known that it was just effecting me is I was able to connect to the site as a guest using a different PC at the neighbors house.

I have very strong security on my PC however, I have many different applications that are used for developing the site basically replicating a web server on my PC, plus other development apps as well.

Virus's can perform what is called a "Port Scan" where they look for an open door on your PC to send info out to their creator, but some applications that are above board can also do things like this in finding a correct port to operate with.

So what I have to do now is find the specific application, could even be a printer application on my PC, that has gone rogue on me and is not using a forced designated port.

I have had one "known" case where a user was locked out of Recreational Flying due to the software that their printer uses which gave the security on our server a false positive. Once he told me he couldn't connect to the site I was able to assist him in resolving the issue on his PC.

The point I am making is that the security on the server is great and even to the point that it has over the last 2 days locked me out of the site for 3,600 secs each time so please don't think there is anything sinister going on if this happens to you but if it does please always let me know and I can help to resolve any issues you may have and note that some lock outs just have a time setting of say 3,600 seconds, as in my case over the last couple of days.

We take both yours and our security very very seriously, and at a great financial cost, when using the Recreational Flying web site.

Now what bloody application on my PC is causing me grief 077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif

• Like 2

Yeah, the audacity of it...me...the one who cares and nurtures and feeds it...who changed its nappies every day when it was a baby...it is starting to get too cheeky for my liking...this is what happens to our children as I am also finding out with my 14 going on to 21 year old daughter.

Now it looks a like a complete reformat of my PC is on the cards and very careful scrutiny of every app that is installed borg.gif.490f3b4d1256219c0b8d76eba737cc26.gif

• Like 1

You haven't installed one of the virus infected components from China have you. Saw a bit on tele last night but didn't get the whole story. Apparently, hard drives with virus already installed are sold under all sorts of company names are being sent all over the world. The virus, if undetected, turns your pc into a spy on all your friends and sends all system and private details back to some place as yet undetermined.

Was on Channel 7 for anyone wishing to follow up.

No DP, it is one of the web development apps that I use to develop the site that is the culprit...it uses a conduit to upload things to the site in the back end and for some reason it dropped the fixed port number setting to use so it was doing a search for open ports on the server, and the server saw this as an untoward attempt and shut me down...best to reformat the hdd anyway as it is due, I do it every 6 months.

The post was really just a advisory that if you think you have been blocked you probably haven't as it can even happen to me...it is just the security systems doing their job.

I have had one "known" case where a user was locked out of Recreational Flying

A couple of days ago I tried to start a new thread in the Aviation Laughter section. When I went to post it, I was told that I didn`t have permission to access Aviation Laughter. I thought! " That`s funny "! 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif but I wasn`t amused. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif .

Havn`t tried again.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 2

A couple of days ago I tried to start a new thread in the Aviation Laughter section. When I went to post it, I was told that I didn`t have permission to access Aviation Laughter. I thought! " That`s funny "! 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif but I wasn`t amused. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif .Havn`t tried again.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

That was probably because at the time there was a message displayed across the top of the site for everyone to see that the site was "Read Only" as the files were being moved across to the new server

That was probably because at the time there was a message displayed across the top of the site for everyone to see that the site was "Read Only" as the files were being moved across to the new server

Thanks Ian. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Frank.

For a couple of days I could not get the program to load from the favorites, the message came up to check the server as it was not a reconized site. I tried 3 different computors, :gaah:but it's all OK now. I had thought the site was barred at the time.

Adrian

You don't have permission to access /threads/viking-engines-in-aus.41061/add-reply on this server.

This is the message I received tonight 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif in another thread. I tried to post to that thread several times but I got 'locked out'.

Didn't you get the Memo 78-80knots? We have locked all those pesky Kiwi birds out augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

I wonder whether you are having DNS issues...can you please monitor the problem for me and tell me if it is still popping up the next day or so?

• Like 1