What is the best headset for a yak 52, or other similar m14 powered radial?

Jstrawnsky

Can't go wrong with Bose or Zulu really, but I personally like my Halo headset - http://www.quiettechnologies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

I've used it in the Yak52 and the noise level is fine. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you do they're a great little set.

Can't go wrong with Bose or Zulu really, but I personally like my Halo headset - http://www.quiettechnologies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1I've used it in the Yak52 and the noise level is fine. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you do they're a great little set.

Pure vanity Tomo, you young blokes are incredible. "No bad hair days" indeed!

I'm particularly liking my Rugged Air RA-900. Search for a seller 'ruggedradios' on ebay and you'll get factory direct pricing, too, with the RA-900 (full-flex boom, stero sound, 3.5mm jack in for music/audio, sidemounted PTT and nice comfy headset with 29dB noise reduction) coming in at about $185 landed.

I swear by this headset so far and its comfort and noise reduction are brilliant in the aircraft I've flown so far - Skyfox Gazelle, C150M and Gardan Minicab (Cont A65 powered). Lowest fatigue headset I've used.

Cheers - boingk

This is it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rugged-Air-RA900-Aviation-Pilot-Headset-Aircraft-NEW-/230404123790?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item35a527ec8e

Guest Andys@coffs

So heres the thing:-

Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headset get rid of low repetitive noise by creating a sound wave that is 180 degrees out of phase with the noise itself. However they only reduce low frequency noise so high frequency is unattenuated.

Passive noise reduction reduces all frequencies of noise and is a function of how good the earshells, gell seals and noise muffling material in the shells are.

When in a high noise environment you absolutely want the headsets with the greatest passive reduction, that is then enhanced by the ANR. A headset that is low passive reduction but high ANR will still be a problem over time as the high frequency noise is the noise that fatigues.

Have a look at the Telex range, high end ANR. When I purchased mine the Telex Stratus 50D's had the best passive noise reduction available of any of teh high end ANR headsets.

Bottom line is that no matter what headssets dont be fooled by a single noise reduction figure that figure is a only relevant to a specific frequency range and may leave the wearer exposed to dangerous levels of noise in the event that the ANR function fails (not unheard of given its electronic)

You need to see specifications for total noise reduction in db, and then seperately for passive and active noise reduction. Many manufacturers who have good ANR but poor passive noise reduction (as a result of chasing a good look rather than a good functionality) will only provide a single measure, a bit of judicious googling may well help uncover the truth! Bottom line is that for passive noise reduction (the most impportant) to be good the headsets will be chunky, physics demands it, marketeers hate it!

So after posting the above I went and had alook at the telex site and they have done the same as everyone else and moved to a single measure <=50db reduction...... the 3 measures are more accurate but more complicated but if your flying aircraft surely not at a complexity level people cant understand....Bloody marketeers!!!

Still the user manual (which is generally available only after you've already laid down the $$$ has the right info........

The Telex Stratus 50 Digital is a medium-weight, active noise-reduction headset

with boom-mounted microphone. It provides up to 25+dB patented digital tonal

noise reduction of engine and blade noise, up to 15+dB of analog broadband

noise reduction, and 29+dB of passive noise reduction. At 90 Hz the accumulative

total is 50+dB of noise reduction - the best in the marketplace.

So this is the stuff you need to find in your research.........

Andy

I would also wager that a set of regular foam earplugs rated to 25dB under your topmarket 25~30dB reduction passive headset would do the trick of far more expensive headsets.

- boingk

Guest Andys@coffs

Indeed now if only they could come up with some that are comfortable for long periods of time and that don't degrade the headset speaker quality. I want low and comfortable noise levels when the radio is squelched and clear radio when someone speaking......unfortunately the headset is not the only determinant of radio quality

Indeed now if only they could come up with some that are comfortable for long periods of time and that don't degrade the headset speaker quality. I want low and comfortable noise levels when the radio is squelched and clear radio when someone speaking......unfortunately the headset is not the only determinant of radio quality

Which is why I like my Halo's 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif You can even put a pair of good earmuffs over the top if you want it even quieter!

Guest Andys@coffs

Actually they look pretty good Thomo...

There are consumer ANR based inear headphones I have one I use when ever I fly down to ADL on the burner, Panasonics RP-HC55 .....It would seem logical to put the Halo's and the ANR together then you have a solution which, as you say, you can put a std headset over the top if you want even better passive reduction.....

Husqvana (as in wipper snipper) foam ear plugs are 29 & 31 Db, NRR and SNR, comfortable to wear all day, might be worth a try under a good ANR headset. My Superair pilot always wears foam ear plugs under his helmet flying a Cresco turbine ("work mate" version of a PAC750 jump plane)