Bowen NQ fly-in a big success today..........

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

The fly-in BBQ at Bowen today was well attended with around 50 aircraft visiting at some stage during the day. The event was hosted by the Whitsunday aero club and the Bowen aero club with most of the footwork being done by Julie Hands of 'Cab sav' Savannah fame.

After watching the weather all week it finally moved off the coast yesterday, and this morning dawned as a definite 'go'...

The Bowen airport is sourrounded on two of it's four sides by the main coastal highway, and there were many folks who dropped in off the highway to look at all the aircraft assembled, and enjoy the sunshine, snags and cool drinks available at the aeroclub.

Normally Bowen only has about four aircraft parked there, on a good day. The model aero club were very active with their impressive range of aircraft, and 'Tiger-moth Pete' who had come up from Shute harbour, was very busy all day giving senic and aerobatic rides to many of the locals and visitors.

The boys and girls from the Townsville aeroclub turned up enmass in Jabs, Cessnas, and one very interesting old Piper Apache. This particular Apache (VH-DRR) once belonged to Donald Cambell of Bluebird fame. He flew the aircraft from England to Australia and used it during his Lake Eyre speed record attemps. A bit of flying history no doubt, and still flying beautifully.

Bowen airport is perfectly positioned for get togethers, and draws folks and planes from Townsville, Proserpine, Shute harbour, Mackay, and other sourrounding areas.. It is hoped that we can do more regular events at Bowen, as it was in years past.

Aircraft types attending today included, Drifter, Bantam, 80hp Trike, Magni gyro, Powered Parachute, Savannah, Lightwing, Jabarus and GA types including the Apache and many models of Pipers and Cessnas.

I had a very smooth and enjoyable early morning trip down at 7500 ft in the lightwing, and a very quick trip home at 2800 ft with a big tailwind !.. The air at cruising altitude was warm and bordering on uncomfortable this afternoon, another reminder that Summer has already kicked in big time up here in the tropics. Great event today with a great turn up, and a good day had by all. Lets do it again soon !!!............................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Got some nice cloud shots on the way down. Too busy chatting at the event as usual to get photos myself. Frank Marriot has PMed me a ground shot, and hopefully some one else may also post some. I'll try and upload Franks' photo............................................Cheers.................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I flew in and out of Bowen in the sixties and have never seen that many planes there. I would have liked to live there then, but no now. I left my wife and kids at Horseshoe Bay fo a month while I worked at Collinsville. It is still the best beach in Aus. in my opinion.

• Like 1

I like Bowen. I came very close to buying a house there when i was living in Airlie Beach. Had to come back to Sydney for family reasons and regret not buying there now. Paradise on the doorstep with less of the tourist madness. Nice quiet airport but can be a little windy at times. Dingo Beach was a favorite also. Is the old black cat base still there?

Guest Maj Millard

I haven't been down that way lately but I believe a bit of the ramp is still at the foreshore, where the Catalina (and others) used to be based aqnd repaired.....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

We all did Doug, and all impressed just how well the day went with minimum planning. The people of Bowen supported it very well, and Pete in the Tiger moth flew all day and was very happy !..Next event in the planning I believe.................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie, If you look at Ian's aerial photo of Bowen in post #4, you can see the concrete seaplane base ramp by the bay on the right, just below the jetty..................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif