Aids To Refuelling a High Wing

Riley

The plastic bicycle pump is where the problem comes from. The action of rubbing two non-conductive surfaces together in the right conditions (ie little humidity) can generate enormous amounts of static.

ahh yes but how does the vapours of the fuel get up that tiny pipe when you are pumping in fresh air?

Thanks to all for the refuelling hints and pointers (I particularily like Greg's pressure plan) but I'm curious re the basis of concerns for static-generated fire risks if said risks are catered for. Most certainly the possibilty of static discharge is ever present however, my operational procedure when refuelling from a jerry can (metal or plastic) by using lengths of ss bath plug chains and alligator clips for inter-connnection is: (a) aircraft fuselage earthed to proper grounding point; (b) funnel earthed to fuselage; © jerry can earthed to funnel prior to any fuel being poured/siphoned. Ergo - any static electricity is expected to discharge straight to ground if and when generated. So.. somebody please advise if I've been luckily living in a fool's paradise, (otherwise I'm gonna plagiarize and play with Greg's hook-up). Standing by. cheers

When working on any vessel used to store gasoline, try to remove ALL traces of vapor before working. I'm highly of the opinion that you should flush with water and then give an air flush for at least 5 minutes prior to working. All that entails is letting a blower-vac or compressed air hose blast into the thing for 5 minutes, pushing air into and then out of the vessel and hopefully taking any explosive vapors with it

If need be I would also recommend the use of a small stepladder to raise yourself.

- boingk

Better to use argon from the mig welder gas bottle, it's an inert gas. No wait ..... Better still don't work on them at all.

Better to use argon from the mig welder gas bottle, it's an inert gas. No wait ..... Better still don't work on them at all.

Better still, lock yourself in a padded room and you'll be completely safe from those loud, noisy, fast things we love.

Personally I'm amazed at the amount of complexity people seem to want to incorporate into things... simple things like refuelling. Stepladder plus jerrycan, simple! Multi-switched electrical hydrotransferring duvalacky? Waaay overthinking it I reckon.

- boingk

• Like 1

Better still, lock yourself in a padded room and you'll be completely safe from those loud, noisy, fast things we love.Personally I'm amazed at the amount of complexity people seem to want to incorporate into things... simple things like refuelling. Stepladder plus jerrycan, simple! Multi-switched electrical hydrotransferring duvalacky? Waaay overthinking it I reckon.

- boingk

Sorry mate, I didn't' mean to suggest you to try to maximise your safety, disregard what I said and keep doin what your doin, you'll be fine....

• Like 1

606027733_fill1-Copy.jpg.c956fdc86215900861ba8bc7ed9225f5.jpg

Another view of my fuel rig for thoes interested. The alumimium tube is 12mm. A later addition is a cable attached to the aluminium tube at the top which is earthed to the aircraft. This ensures that there is no difference in electrical potential between the fuel in the tank and the fuel in the jerry can. (hopefully no sparks). I cannot claim the idea is original just an adaptation of what others have done before, however it works well and certainly saves my back.

Greg.

• Like 2

Definitely great idea to go with a pump if available. We actually use Avgas in the Gazelle's 912 as it removes a lot of the risk of spillage (once you've had a little practice), is a hell of a lot easier than filling and transporting 6 x 20 litre jerry cans every weekend and most importantly in my view removes the risk of damage to the aircraft by a student slipping with a jerry can and writing off a wing! The less time the wings and our hands/clothing spend soaked in petrol the better also.

robinsm on here has actually rigged up a little pump on a jerry can which he can plumb into his fuel system when doing long cross-country's. Gives him an emergency reserve if it's needed and makes refuelling off-campus a lot easier.

Sorry mate, I didn't' mean to suggest you to try to maximise your safety, disregard what I said and keep doin what your doin, you'll be fine....

Righteo, cheers ma...

Sorry, couldn't resist. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Agree with your point though, I'd rather not work on a fuel vessel where possible. Still, if you're going to, may as well make sure you do it properly.

- boingk

Thanks to all for the refuelling hints and pointers (I particularily like Greg's pressure plan) but I'm curious re the basis of concerns for static-generated fire risks if said risks are catered for. Most certainly the possibilty of static discharge is ever present however, my operational procedure when refuelling from a jerry can (metal or plastic) by using lengths of ss bath plug chains and alligator clips for inter-connnection is: (a) aircraft fuselage earthed to proper grounding point; (b) funnel earthed to fuselage; © jerry can earthed to funnel prior to any fuel being poured/siphoned. Ergo - any static electricity is expected to discharge straight to ground if and when generated. So.. somebody please advise if I've been luckily living in a fool's paradise, (otherwise I'm gonna plagiarize and play with Greg's hook-up). Standing by. cheers

Jonsered.jpg.2897527f97634878f8cc71391031667b.jpgHow come I have been able to re-fuel my ride-on lawnmower for a decade from the same kind of plastic jerry can that people have been discussing? In a number of ways the lawnmower is similar to an aircraft: it's mainly metal on rubber tyres.

ahh yes but how does the vapours of the fuel get up that tiny pipe when you are pumping in fresh air?

It's not the vapours travelling up the pipe that's the problem, it's the static electricity travelling down the pipe into the jerry can that causes all the trouble