RAA friendly airstrip near Coffs Harbour?

Tomo

Quick question... of the above... Was thinking of going for a quick flight down there sometime but instead of hiring a fast and furious plane which I could take into the airspace... was wondering if there were any places I could drop the wheels down of my little rocket? It would be heaps cheaper that way... would take a bit (lot) longer but you get that...

And while I'm thinking of it, which way would you recommend taking a trusty 2 stroke banger down that'away from my place - Toowoomba, Pittsworth area.

Zzankyou! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Tomo

Coffs is class D and there arent any RAAus friendly fields to the South or North. South Grafton is the closest to the North and then you have a 70km drive down to Coffs. South Grafton is however in the town and access to taxi's rental cars should be easy I would have expected. I still think its $5 per day landing fee

There are a few personal fields around but I think the consensus is if the owners dont know you....then keep on moving.....

If I were you I'd make use of your PPL and its associated access to CTA... You dont need a transponder as I recall.....

Accesss to Coffs is safest from the north or South, West is definately Tiger country......

Andy

Hey Tomo, give David Sercombe a call on 0428 400 236, he is the CFI at the Coffs Aero club, maybe ask him about Stewarts at Emerald Beach, did a touch and go there about 12 month back (with the former CFI Charles on board). Andy do you have any details of Stewarts?

Guest Andys@coffs

Yes

I tried to land there a few times in the past when I lived in Adelaide and had no success getting approvals due to circumstances at the time. The guy who owns it lives about a block away from where I live (Now, not then). It is about 3-5nm north of the gnd level CTA access ring. The Coffs Aeroclub guys have mobile details for him if you want to try.

location is approx 30d09m 153d10m or about 10.2nm at 0d true from mid strip Coffs airport

Andy

Hi Tomo,

If you do want to base your Solitare at South Grafton no problem at all. The clubhouse is open most days especially from 4:00pm to around 6:00pm. Perhaps not on Christmas day but most others. Shops & Mogas are within walking distance & there is a bunkhouse available for $10.00 a day. The sealed strip (26/08) is 900m with 1200m of grass. PM me if you would like to stay & we will arrange a key.

Cheers

Kevin

President

Grafton Aero Club