Kickstart the Bugatti "Blue Dream"

Here is everyone's chance to become an important part of aviation history.

For those who don't know of the Bugatti "Blue Dream" it was the most technologically advanced aircraft of its time but never flew because of the outbreak of war. It was hidden in a barn near Paris for the duration and languished there for over 50 years until it was discovered in a poor state.

It has been reverse engineered and the construction of an exact replica is well under way. The airframe is complete and now the tricky part of engines and transmission is being started.

Kickstarter will fund the rest of the project provided a $50k target of fundraising is successful, so far nearly $20k has been pledged.

This is important folks - it's the only aircraft ever built by Bugatti, it's the most technologically advanced aircraft of its time and still exceptionally advanced nearly eighty years later. Not only that, typical of Bugatti, it's one of the most beautiful airframes you'll ever see.

Here is a link to where you can make a difference, from just $10, and everyone gets a reward.

On that page is a link to lots more info about this awesome aircraft - click on the words "innovative Bugatti 100P".

Come on folks, get behind this truly worthwhile piece of aviation history. Here's a pic of the Blue Dream to whet your appetite -

1141939263_Bugatti100_1937_LouisDdeMonge-aerodynamistforEttoreBugatti.jpg.8af31808b152415d12168b099a593153.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ozzie

I've been following this now for several years. What a huge project this is. Amazing design. I had a good look at it a couple of years ago at airventure when the airframe was starting to come together. The powertrain is a work of art. So far ahead in its day. Well worth the small donation asked to complete it. You can also follow on facebook.

Always loved Bugatti designs, well perhaps not that ugly p.o.s. Veyron but thats just a badge enginnering exercise.

Even if it doesnt fly, what a beautiful thing!

• Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

This is indeed a beautifull design, possibly the most beautifull ever built. Is this the one that the EAA have ?....and in typical Bugatti fashion I'm sure it would go like hell..........

pmccarthy.....The mid-mounted engine drives two counter-rotating props via drive-shafts that go below the pilot, right through the cockpit...That means the pilot would have a high-rpm drive- shaft rotating just inches from his family jewels ! ... bet that would make you fly good !!...........Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Mmmmm....very advanced, way before the Learfan did the same thing basically ( in a pusher configuration). The one thing FAA didn't like about the Learfan set-up was the one gearbox, on what was to be a transport cat aircraft. They were worried if it should ever run out of oil. Lear got around it by developing a special polimer plug which melted at high temps, and supplied oil-like lubricant to the gearbox for another two hours. ...............................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 2 weeks later...

$32,000 raised, $18,000 more needed to make this dream fly. Only 13 days to go folks - c'mon, be part of one the greatest aviation projects ever. Be a PART of it, for just a dollar you can call it yours! Better still chuck $10 at it.

There's a great new video up on their Kickstarter site - check out this absolute Masterpiece -

• Caution 1

Just so you all know, a quarter of the sixth wing rib in the starboard wing belongs to me, so just in case you were considering buying this plane sometime in the future, as a shareholder, I will need to be consulted prior to purchase.

064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

rgmwa

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Just so you all know, a quarter of the sixth wing rib in the starboard wing belongs to me, so just in case you were considering buying this plane sometime in the future, as a shareholder, I will need to be consulted prior to purchase.064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

rgmwa

Your bit's joined onto my bit partner, we're going flying together! banana.gif.5de0dd00d883c80bffdc137d0daa406c.gif

How many of you other RecFlyers are coming along?

News -

Yesterday I wrote to Scotty Wilson who's the leader of the Bugatti project, I wanted to see what chance we might have of getting the plane over here so we can all have a gander, and I also want to find out more about the live video feed of the taxi and flight testing. Scotty wrote back very promptly, here's a transcript -

Alan:

Thanks for writing.

Actually, everyone who pledges $75 or more gets Rewards 3 & 4. I inadvertently omitted "includes 3 & 4" when I input the early de Monge drawing into the Kickstarter Rewards section and then couldn't correct my mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding you folks "down under":

The material from which almost the entire airplane is built is DuraKore, a balsa/hardwood composite produced in Queensland. "Boatbuilding with Baltec DuraKore" was my primary construction reference.

Our 100P reflects the materials (Sitka Spruce; Poplar; Balsa) and processed used to build the original 100P. The main exception is our use of modern adhesives and fiberglass.

I think its possible to bring the plane to Australia, not to fly but to tour and display. It's not all that expensive, we just need to find a sponsor.

Cheers,

Scotty

• Informative 1

Just so you all know, a quarter of the sixth wing rib in the starboard wing belongs to me, so just in case you were considering buying this plane sometime in the future, as a shareholder, I will need to be consulted prior to purchase.064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

rgmwa

Great to know that so many of our bits are made from Aussie material!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For anyone who tries to donate, you need to join the crowd sourcing website with a password and you need to have an Amazon account. It defeated me this time, I will try again later.

No, I don't think you need an Amazon account, I don't know where you came across that ...

If you have a Facebook account you can log in to Kickstarter using that or alternatively you can register with Kickstarter itself, which I would recommend to anyone. If you haven't already signed up with Kickstarter you're missing out on finding out early about some of the great new tech (and art) developments and ideas as they happen. Not only that if you support a project you get some terrific deals as the products come to market, even getting in early as a distributor if you like.

Did anyone here follow the Synergy Kickstart for example? And watching its progress? Also see the video of it at the Synergy website

synergy1.jpg.5178f2ce988016b3c7dc5ec3d49637f0.jpg

Come to that I guess there are still plenty of folks out there who aren't keeping up with all the amazing new happenings out there via Gizmag ...? Better have a look and sign up now lest you end up a dinosaur 1603195233_smilewink.gif.2264e5918ee1b9f56cd1728fa394a4c5.gif

For anyone who tries to donate, you need to join the crowd sourcing website with a password and you need to have an Amazon account. It defeated me this time, I will try again later.

Apologies PM, I made my pledge some while ago and either something has changed (I thought I paid by Paypal) or I have a bad memory. Anyway I just went through the process again, so they got more cash out of me (Go the Bugatti!), and you're right, but it was an easy enough process through Amazon checkout, just like any other online purchase. So don't let that put you off folks please, we gotta see this thing fly, and have it come to Australia too!

Talking about bringing it to Oz, I'm sure we could easily enough get a dispensation for it to fly at a major Airshow or two so has anyone got any ideas of a Corporate sponsor who might like a tax write-off and also benefit from the extensive publicity that association by sponsorship of this aviation masterpiece would bring? As Scotty said it shouldn't be a particularly expensive exercise since it could be shipped by sea in a container.

Bump news -

The gearbox arrived from UK a couple of days ago and fitted perfectly into the airframe, a terrific result, and the compound spinner is being constructed at this moment - an interesting spinner since the front half spins one way and the rear half the other way.

Best news of all - it was getting a bit worrying because the sponsorship amount didn't move much at all for a few days and so was still $18,000 to go with only 11 days left by yesterday but gladly one very fortunate person has bought a pit crew sponsorship for $5000, so they'll be there to see and help with the early testing. I wish I had $5000 to spare, I'd be there in a flash!

So the target is back in the reachable zone at $12,000 to go and 10 days left to raise it.

Come on Aussies, who can't afford just a few bucks to be a part of history? This isn't just a replica plane, it's a faithful exact copy of the most beautiful plane ever IMHO, and the original has NEVER FLOWN. The Bugatti must fly.

Oh well. In for a penny, in for a pound. I now own half a rib, or is that two quarters seeing that the rest of the original rib has already been taken. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

rgmwa

Latest update from Scotty on the build progress -

We've made significant progress over the course of the past few days. The most important milestone was the successful trial installation of the gearbox and propellers. We also covered the rudder and rudder-vator flight control surfaces. The ailerons are nearly complete, as are many of the small cockpit details.

We are heartened - and humbled - by the warm and enthusiastic reception you've given us. We're more enthused now than ever and hope you'll encourage your friends to help us meet our fundraising goal.

Note you can see the gearbox in the nose and the props hanging off it. And the tailfeathers look great ... You're a good man rgmwa, guess I'll have to buy a bit more to catch up with ya' - maybe a prop bolt, or perhaps a turnbuckle ... undecided.gif.6eef1c1b696be90b52c53c4cdf7645a3.gif

1228624759_Bugatti130427.jpg.ad760653db8638078cc548608ea98b24.jpg

Seven days to go and only $4700 needed to meet the minimum target, - the Blue Dream will fly!

Unfortunately I'm sure it's going to cost more than the minimums so keep digging deep folks.

They've posted a close up of the props and gearbox assembly, looks great and here's the link to the Bugatti kickstarter site again, if you haven't seen their brief construction video yet, you're missing out on something good.

Note the Aussie flag flying proudly over the project, the flags are recognising the contributions of all nations which are helping with the cost of the build.

1547098896_Bugattiprops.jpg.2485f7a7290936d60e0a915853bd599f.jpg