New ' smart' battery chargers............

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Decided it was time to purchase a new battery charger. The Yuasa battery in the plane doesn't require much attention as I fly often, and renew it every three years or so, and have never had one let me down there.

However I have a couple of auto batteries worth keeping alive , plus the ride- on mower, and the utility golf- buggy at my property. And last but not least two small cars that the wife and daughter drive....need I say more ?..

Anyway checked out all the auto stores, boat shops, and battery outlets around town and finally settled on the Swedish designed CTEK range. I purchased the 12 V 5 Amp model (Max's 5.0), although I would have liked the more expensive 7 Amp model. The charger itself is about the size of a Holbrooks sauce bottle, and comes with a full 5 year warranty . The unit will automatically sense what type of battery you want to charge and adjust accordingly . IE: WET, MFN, Ca/Ca, AGM and GEL.

These new 'smart' chargers are quite impressive, much smaller that the older style ones, and pretty much take care of the whole charging process without the need to constantly monitor them, and they are very small and compact in size. There is a 'recondition' mode which you can set to well ...recondition the older batteries if needed, to extend their life, and of course a 'float' mode which maintains a battery in the fully charged state.

Everything fits into a neat little black bag that comes with the package, which is easily kept under the car seat.

I'm currently charging up one of my old aircraft's 18 amp Yuasa battery's . This particular battery did around 3-4 years in the Lightwing, then sat for 12 months with no use or recharging, so this will be a damn good test of the new charger. So far it looks like it's doing the job ....Highly recommended !..................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I have an old el cheapo charger, many years old. The Odyssey PC680 battery in the Corby expired and I have had it in the RV4, but it even failed there, so i took it home and have been charging it on and off for 3 weeks, it now seems to be holding a charge for a lot longer than it used to. This weekend will tell, if it will swing the Jab motor over.

Some of those chargers are good. You can leave them on for quite a while and they don't damage the battery. Lead acid batteries don't like being left discharged. they will sulphate up and short out.. If they haven't gone too far, discharging and charging them repeatedly can revive them. Nev

I have one similar that has 6volt and 12 volt battery selection. If you accidently hook it up reversed nothing happens to it. It doesn't cut out on the paste battery on the Buell. Just keeps charging. Good on everything else. Nev

I have been using a CTEK charger to look after my sealed batteries for about 5 years. It's a good bit of kit and has kept a couple of my batteries alive long past their expected lifespan.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes great idea, and you can buy extra ones at Repco stores . I'll put one permanently on the ride on mower and the weed-spraying golf buggy I reckon.......Maybe Jab and Thruster owners could fit one also !.....................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif