ATSB Investigation into LSA engine failures

Guest Escadrille

Guest Escadrille

It seems that since there has been a recent(!?) increase in forced landings,apparently the ATSB has started a new project entitled.

Research investigation into the reliability of light sport aeroplane engines.

see this link

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2013/ar-2013-107.aspx

It will be very interesting to see the outcomes and consequent recommendations that come out of the ensuing investigation.Hopefully this will not have an adverse outcome for those who can and like to maintain their own aircraft and engine!

Till you know HOW they will do it, one can only speculate, and that is a bit pointless. How any engine is installed and operated makes a world of difference. I would be prepared to fly quite crude early engines in the right circumstances. Would be a shame if we get a bureaucratic (based on statistics) analysis with a result that just grounds things. the early rotax 912 when most of them were new were a good standard, but unless the cooling and fuel and exhaust systems are kept in order the thing will have trouble too. No motor is IMMUNE. they need checking and servicing. I believe this is not being done in real terms. Engines that sit a lot will give trouble. Mechanics with the appropriate knowledge are not easy to find. Nev

I have heard a theory that engines are generally more reliable if they are regularly used and properly maintained, and that they fail more often if they aren't. Wonder if the study will find any correlation?

rgmwa

It will only find what it is structured to find. I doubt anybody inhibits their engines when not in use. Just running them for a few minutes now and then will fill them with condensation. Nev

• Agree 1

Yes, that's what I was getting at. The report findings will reflect the terms of reference they decide to adopt, so I wonder what the real value will be. If they conclude the obvious, it will not be very helpful. If they find that some engines are inherently better designed and manufactured and therefore more reliable than others, whether it's true or not, they will probably be accused of bias, not having investigated properly, insufficient evidence, etc etc. It will be interesting to read if/when it sees the light of day.

rgmwa

It sounds a bit like some of the recent political rhetoric - you don't "review" anything if you are not looking at changing it (ie GST).

First thing the ATSB should do is subpoena all existing engine failure data from existing manufacturers/suppliers in Australia. It could be the recipe for some (Aus) manufacturer(s) to get their act together and actually provide failure data, AND what they are doing to reduce early failures... Short of running an engine with no oil, there is no reason to have premature failures at the 100-300 hr mark off a brand new core and top end.

• Agree 4

If theres something wrong and pilot keeps going ...like a high cylinder or egt temp then sure it will fail. Im pretty sure most failures are in first period from new and rebuild

My guess is they will find current maint isnt good enough and someone qualified should be doing it.

• Agree 2

someone qualified should be doing it.

jetjr, Yesterday at 8:57 PM Report

yes jetjr someone qualified doing it I took my plane out of online hire because some persons wanted to play with it when it was leaking fuel I had two new needle and seat installed in it in under 200 hundred hrs it is rotax s series by a lame l2 l4 this bloke was an expert according to others

when it was discovered that there was no return line to tank as stated in the rotax manual it was my fault

I lost 2 days hire because I would not let others who are not l2 fix my plane

as stated by another person on this forum there are l2 and lame that should not be fixing lawn mowers neil

My guess is they will find current maint isnt good enough and someone qualified should be doing it.

There's no doubt that would account for a few, but on the forced landing statistics I pulled - where if you don't pull off the landing you're stuffed - pointed more to engine issues.