Is Accident Prevention Guaranteed ?

Guest john

M61A1 Window dressing is alive and well. SMS's anyone? They could be good but I often feel they are a way of covering the @r$e of those at the top.. Rules are written for the lowest common denominator. ( the fool who should not even be there). nev

Regardless of rules, precautions, etc, the fact remains that stupidity is punishable, in nature, by death. There is no substitute for competence and vigilance.

• Agree 2

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

- Captain A. G. Lamplugh

• Like 2

I also worked in construction for most of my working life. 11 years building concrete chimneys. In that 11 years the company I worked for had 2 fatalities. One of them was a man who I refused to employ as I considered him a safety risk. That was when another supervisor took him on and he was dead within 3 months. The only good thing is that he didn't take anyone with him.

That was an avoidable accident. There are also aviation accidents that are predictable, and luckily some of those potential accident prone pilots can be talked to and shown the error of their ways.

The thread starter "Is accident prevention guaranteed?" doesn't fit . Guaranteed to "WHAT". and Prevention as far as accidents is concerned is impossible to be guaranteed unless the activity is highly modified or stopped entirely if there is some real risk in it. Aircraft have plenty of potential to be dangerous. In many instances there were more pilots killed in training than in actual combat. The actual figures are revealing. They relate to military style situations where the fighters were single seat and the bigger stuff was multi engine where practicing engine out procedures was extremely likely to result in accidents.

If I am correct the most safe part of the RAAus activity is the training segment, particularly the "dual". Interesting? Nev..

The thread starter "Is accident prevention guaranteed?" doesn't fit . Guaranteed to "WHAT". and Prevention as far as accidents is concerned is impossible to be guaranteed unless the activity is highly modified or stopped entirely if there is some real risk in it. Aircraft have plenty of potential to be dangerous. In many instances there were more pilots killed in training than in actual combat. The actual figures are revealing. They relate to military style situations where the fighters were single seat and the bigger stuff was multi engine where practicing engine out procedures was extremely likely to result in accidents.If I am correct the most safe part of the RAAus activity is the training segment, particularly the "dual". Interesting? Nev..

I say again - Go look at FAA AC 23.1309 Fig 2 (attached) . AC 1309 strictly applies to an aircraft system, not to structure - but the basic principle remains: Consider, by way of example, the main wing spar in a typical single-engine aircraft (class 1 in the second part of the table). These aircraft are normally single-load-path structures, so failure of the spar is classed as "catastrophic". As you can see, the table requires the probability of failure to be less than one in a million, per flying hour.

So, the answer to the thread question is (watch my lips): NO, accident prevention is NOT guaranteed. ICAO sets specified statistical probability levels.

1143653032_AC23.1309Fig2.jpg.691a6e02ca9570342235d1ee9219c3f5.jpg

If you could take out the human factor out and install a computer that could make every decision for us would that then make it possible to have aircraft, automobiles, racing boats, racing cars anything with a degree of danger in it to stop all accidents, of course not, there could be a mechanical failure or a computer glitch or many other reasons not man made, while humans continue to participate in risky adventures we will always be in danger, we place rules and training that make doing these things we do safer but we will always be at risk.. I suppose without that risk to life we would never have ventured to the moon...

David

C

If you could take out the human factor out and install a computer that could make every decision for us would that then make it possible to have aircraft, automobiles, racing boats, racing cars anything with a degree of danger in it to stop all accidents, of course not, there could be a mechanical failure or a computer glitch or many other reasons not man made, while humans continue to participate in risky adventures we will always be in danger, we place rules and training that make doing these things we do safer but we will always be at risk.. I suppose without that risk to life we would never have ventured to the moon...David

Computer are only as good as the programmer and they make mistakes so I think u still have the same risk ! :-)