Wallaby takes out Magni gyro....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

During takeoff this morning at Montpelier Airpark a wallaby ran straight into the propellor and tail section of a Magni Gyro just at point of rotation. The Gyro then struck a nearby fence and was badly damaged. The pilot was not injuried. It was reported that the wallaby was decapitated by the main rotor.............Maj...029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Guest Maj Millard
Ouch. That is dreadful. How unlucky is that?

Well when you have lots of wallabys around the runways like we do at Montpelier and Stake fields, there are often near misses. This time the ex-wallaby jumped into the wrong spot at the wrong time..Happy the crew suffered no injuries, it could have been worse......Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I fitted a set of air horns to my aircraft in an attempt to minimise the risk of that very thing. On landing if a critter crosses your path you have an option of a go around, however on take off until you reach TOSS your options are limited. I have used the horns with great success on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

I fitted a set of air horns to my aircraft in an attempt to minimise the risk of that very thing. On landing if a critter crosses your path you have an option of a go around, however on take off until you reach TOSS your options are limited. I have used the horns with great success on more than one occasion.

Good for mustering too. Local R22 has a very nice siren to get the piggies moving out of the trees, it would give the wallabies a hurry up, might even weigh less too.