hangarage

Is it just me or is there a conspiracy to keep 19- aircraft out of Melbourne? I have my Jodel hangared at Morewell. ( For the next month or so) I'd dearly like it closer to home (Dandenong hills)... The owner of Coldstream was positively rude to me when I inquired about hangarage there. Lilydale may be different now as I heard there has been a change in command? When I asked them for space earlier I was thrown out.. I train at Tyabb, Great place, but they are stuck with a noise abatement club that has hamstrung the council , so no new hangars for them. It's really difficult to get the time to drive 2 hours to get to the Jodel. It looks like that I will end up at Mangalore ! over two hours drive away...But what a lovely airfield..Any suggestions?..... I would have bought a folding wing jobbie but my driveway is far too steep...................

Guest pelorus32

Hi Geoff,

I had a very friendly conversation with the owner of Coldstream - they are as I understand it limited in what they can add to the place.

What about trying Lethbridge - I understand it's out the other side of town but they are very friendly; Kyneton - Alan on this forum has hangarage available there.

Regards

Mike

I know it's not the best as it is a long way for you but Riddells Creek is an option.

I inquired about keeping the CT at Coldstream or Lilydale and got the same answer as you. As it is Riddells is only a 45min drive for me.

Yes, Thanks.. Riddells creek is not a million miles away, I will go and have a look! Lethbridge (and Kyneton) look like the same sort of drive as Morwell but add 20 bucks for the toll!. I was even considering a hundred acres at Romsey and have my own strip! I must say that it's a real disappointment, not being able to get to the plane. I had no idea when I started this..A bit amateurish I must admit. I have a mate with a field/hangar at Nagambie and I can park there for free. But I wanted to fly, not drive! Can you imagine, having been out for the day, flying over your house and an hour further, park your aeroplane then drive 2 hours back over the same route to home. I don't want to know what that feels like!!!! Thanks for the input.....

Guest brentc

I thought I posted in this forum 2 days ago but must have stuffed up. Tooradin is building hangars at the moment and should be ready in a month or two. There are half a dozen already on the waiting list so if you are interested you'll have to call them quickly to secure a spot. They are all getting to be ridiculously expensive these days.

Guest brentc

Approximately $50 - $60 a week is the going rate down this way. I didn't mean Tooradin specifically being expensive, I meant all of the airfields in the general area are getting to be expensive due to the cost of realestate I guess. Moorabbin is around $80 a week plus the annual airfield usage agreement which depends on aircraft weight, so we can't complain if you have a nice hangar with power and concrete.

Leongatha might be worth considering as they are cheaper and really starting to boom with light aircraft at the moment.

Riddells Creek is about $35 a week - sealed strip, LAME on site, hangars have electric doors (about to be fitted) and the runway has just been extended to allow for much bigger aircraft as well

Ahh Riddels creek, That is Sundbury is it not? Gee its a long way away!..What has happened to Wallan? No telephone no emails. Has the owner finally managed to get it developed? I saw he was trying in 2004 to put 2500 houses on it. At about 80,000 dollars per block it makes very good monetary sense! That's only 85 k's away...

Geoff - Riddells Creek isn't Sunbury - it is next door. Wallan is still going but the school closed down due to the owner passing away - the Instructor Nathan went to Shepparton. They tried to convert it into a housing estate but the council stopped it by imposing a pretty hefty sewage plan in place which made it completely not viable for it to be developed - so I guess it will stay an airfield for a long time - the only problem there is the wind though.

Geoff, give Terry Williamson at Drouin 56251342 a ring. Make sure you talk to him and not his wife Christine. I'm not sure what the deal is there, but You might be able to build a hangar. The strip is about 3000 feet long, grass and the track in is a bit wet at present. It is about 11 km from Drouin to the road in. It is Yuulong Road, off the west side of the Drouin - Korumburra Road, about 1 km past Burnt Store Road. There are a couple of other planes there, one is a Jabiru 430. I live next door and use one of Williamson's paddocks, but it is only 200 metres between the corner posts, OK for my CH701 and my mate's Foxbat. We are only about 25 minutes from Pakenham.

David