Sydney Film Shoot on Runway

Guest plangly

Guest plangly

Hi All,

i was interested to find out if any of you could help me out to find a nice quite airstrip that i could use to shoot a film at night, we are currently looking to recreate a scene of a car driving down a road at night but so far we have not been able to find any roads in the sydney or greater sydney area to facilitate us in providing a nice straight long road.

would anyone have any ideas also other than an airstrip, its a completely safe choreographed scene but by heading west we found quite roads but they were not to the quality where we could get a nice still shot out of.

i was thinking that a private runway such as some of the skydiving runways could help us out.

very interested to hear your thoughts on the matter

Cheers Adam

Guest pelorus32

You will need to approach airstrip operators and ask their permission and negotiate times and costs. The airstrip will need to be closed - there is a formal NOTAM process that allows the operator to announce that.

I am aware that from time to time airstrip operators allow motorsport to be conducted on their runways. I know that Shepparton (VIC), Mangalore (VIC) and Narrandera (NSW) have all had such events in the past 12 months.

In order to identify airstrips and the operators of those strips you can go to

http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/aip.asp?pg=40&vdate=7-Jun-2007&ver=1

You may have to navigate a page getting you to agree to some T&Cs to get to the page.

Scroll down and it lists many Australian airstrips in alphabetical order. Click on the "FAC" after the name. In shorthand form "AD OPR" you will see the details of the operator to contact.

Camden, Bankstown, Hoxton Park and RAAF Richmond are the closest airstrips to Sydney. You can begin guessing the likelihood of receiving permission to use at least some of those ;-)

Good luck.

Regards

Mike

Guest ozzie

the only sealed private skydiving strip i know of anywhere near sydney is elderslie in the hunter valley.Picton is unsealed. how about warnervale just past wyong on F3 sparks rd exit. it would be quiet strip at night. looks about 1000 +mts.

Ozzie

Guest disperse

the industrial estate near prestons......just south and parrael to hoxten pk rd.........or new estates being built.......kellyville or near greystains

Guest Fred Bear

Also try the old Schofields Airfield. Not sure who is incharge of that now but that would be the ultimate. It's no longer in use and has hangers and all in the backdrop. Hope this helps.

Guest Fred Bear

This quote from somewhere else mate:

UWS Hawkesbury took over the HMAS Nirimba (Schofields) site in 1995 as part of an expansion to the Hawkesbury campus. Pulling the blimp hangar down and removing the runways is probably considered too expensive for very little if any gain by UWS.

Could be a starting point for you.

Guest plangly

yeah thanks,

I went out and had a look at the airfield today, its actually only 1/3 of the property owned by USW the rest is still owned by the department of defense

I'm going to ring them tomorrow, the only problem is they will want public liability cover paperwork as long as the runway i bet

I've also chosen devlin Rd in Londonderry as a backup location, but im not stopping until i have a long and safe environment to operate in,

does anyone know the length of the runways at schofields, I'm in particularly interested in the one heading north or south it looks to be the biggest from google maps

i know that this may be way to much to ask, but the director would love a flyby over sydney around sunrise, if any of you were possibly going to be in the air around those times over the next few weeks please let us know we'd love to get a shot i know you wont be able to be to low to the ground but anything would be greatly appreciated

thanks again everyone adam

I have been involved in some filming at the airstrip at Wedderburn just outside Campbelltown. it is run by the SAAA and should suit your requirements if available

cheers

Art

Guest plangly

i also found out today something that you guys may be interested in, schofields is where Stealth was shot

they paid big $$$$$ to be able to bring fighter jets into the area apparently

Yes the road at Wedderburn is sealed.

I worked on Stealth too, there were no jets flown in only prop planes. The stealth jets were brought in on trucks and assembled there.

I'm sure it cost a bundle we were there for over 6 weeks.

cheers

Guest Fred Bear

Adam,

I'd be happy to do a fly-by in the Jabiru at Schofields mate. It would be weekend after next though or some time during the week. PM me if you like.

Guest plangly

i have spoken with the department of defense today and schofields is currently in the process of preparing the land to be handed over to the state government along with a few other decommissioned fields, the last group of people ever in their was stealth

im still looking for another location if anyone has any ideas

thanks again everyone

Wakefield park may also be quite a good site. A couple of good straights which are probably fairly close to what you want. They'd be used to film crews too, which might be helpful - they host a round of the V8 development series I think.