Oshkosh 2008 - doing a package tour?

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

Hi All

Thinking of going to Oshkosh next year, as well as spending another week or 2 in the US at the same time. Wondered if anyone had good and bad experiences going on tour packages from Australia, with airfares, accom, transfers, etc? Who does them? Who's the best?

Looking for some experienced people who know all that info, who've done it before ;)

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott

I too have just had the go-ahead from my understanding first (and only!) wife to plan for AirVenture 2008. As she can't abide the thought of a week-long airshow (or 1 day, for that matter) I would be going solo for the trip. How about we gather any other forum members in the same position, and make up a party? This may give us some bargaining power with the tour operators.

Please keep in touch

Guest brentc

One of the guys at Tooradin went last year with his wife who is anti-aircraft and he left her in Chicago for a week with his credit card. Perhaps you could try that?

Guest Rocko

Tour operator to Oshkosh 08

Apparently, I've been told these guys who advertise in the RAA mag, do a very good tour.

http://www.avtours.com.au

Not badly priced either. I wonder if we'd get any further discount if we got a group of people from here to go together?

Guest Head In The Clouds

oh boy oh boy oh boy...

man that sounds cool, i reckon i could get 5 to go. my dad, uncle, me an two brothers.

i gotta get me a part of that action....lol

but seriously that sounds awesome. we have always wanted to go to oshkosh...

:big_grin:

Oshkosh is about 150 miles North of Chicago. Went last year with my wife. We flew into Chicago then picked up a hire car and drove up to Oshkosh. Easy 3 hour drive on American freeways all the way.

Or about 40 miles from Madison, which has a major airport - with flights in from Chicago and elsewhere. Madison is a pretty city - and worth an overnight on the way through...

Guest ozzie

Back in the early Eighties, Qantas pilot Gareth Kimberley arranged the charter of a 747 combi and took several hundred passengers and quite a few Aussie ultralights and experimentals to Oshkosh. Seeing that there seems to be a bit of interest maybe some aussie manufacturers might want to come along and display their wares as well. Or leave the wife at home and spend the airfare on taking your aircraft. Or bring one back. anyone know who could pull this off.

ozzie

Hi All

We stepped off the plane from San Francisco-Auckland-Melb at 1005 today!

Boarded at 2100 Monday evening.

Spent almost 7 days at Oshkosh..

Yes it is worth the trip.

Save your pennies & dollars now for all the tipping!

We also spent 2 weeks touring ~ Los Angles, Chicago (drove to Oshkosh), Buffalo (Nigarra Falls), Washington DC, Las Vegas (Grand Canyon)and San Francisco.

Once I spart to unpack my case(s)

Had 10 flights in all.

Only had 1 delay, but boy am I over "USA Airports".

I will post here, soon in the next couple of days.

9 of us went from West District of Vic.

We organised all our own events.

So far, I think that I have taken heap of pics. 3 x 1Gig cards

Will have to spent a bit of time going over them.

Ang