Repairing a tear in dacron

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

Hey all

Not had a good day today. Stuck the outer edge of my wing into the diesel fuel bowser frame, and tore a small hole in it. It's not in a structural area (in fact, it's where the fabric is baggy anyways) and only went through the outer layer of fabric, but I need to glue the torn edges down.

What glue do you use? Open to suggestions, on some form of contact adhesive suitable for the job.

I'd prefer not using a patch, because of the wrinkles in the baggy fabric there will make it hard to stick, and it'll stand out like the proverbial dogs goolies. However, if anyone knows who sells matching adhesive dacron fabric, I'd appreciate the info.

Anyone know the adhesive I use?

Thanks

Scott

Years ago I bought self adhesive patches for a Thruster wing. Probably from Wade air, but I can't be sure. If the dacron has been shrunk and painted as per faster aircraft you would need to consult the manufacturers of the original finish.

Guest Teenie2

Bias boating in Brisbane sell adhesive patch kits, if you can put a patch on the inside(outside is better, but if you have not got the exact colour might not look the best) then on the outside use a piece of clear medical bandage (forgotten the name,lukasil,something like that) over the top to stop the fabric from fraying.Or to stop the fraying dacron can be melted with a soldering iron .

Please if this is a stresed area ,put a patch on the inside and outside.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/showrooms.html

P.S clean the fabric first with acetone ,at least twice .

Have fun

Guest Rocko

Hi again

It's not a stress area. In facxt, the fabric bags there and is pretty much surplus. But I'm mainly wondering about an adhesive glue-type stuff to stick down the torn fabric edges already there, rather than patching at this stage, until I can get some identical colour patch material.

Guest ozzie

Product known as "ripstop" repair tape, adhesive backed ripstop nylon. available in different weights/colours on a roll in various widths. works well, use both sides. rips longer than 6 inches should be repaired on a machine. use a hot knife or sharpened soldering iron to trim. i've used a bit of this over in 30 years of skydiving. used right you can get "just one more jump" before the inevitable reserve ride.

ozzie

Guest pelorus32
Hi againIt's not a stress area. In facxt, the fabric bags there and is pretty much surplus. But I'm mainly wondering about an adhesive glue-type stuff to stick down the torn fabric edges already there, rather than patching at this stage, until I can get some identical colour patch material.

Rocko,

On Dacron at sea we sometimes use good old fashioned contact adhesive BUT you need something to glue it to.

The reality is that you end up using sticky back or the ripstop patches - all of which have already been described. If you simply want to stop it fraying further - with no issue about strength - then the hot knife solution already described is the way to go.

If it was me I'd use one of the self adhesive patches that are available from Bias or a sailmaker or apparently in the parachute world. You can get an amazing array of colours. Then when it comes time for a real repair you strip it off and sew a proper patch.

Regards

Mike

Guest Rocko

That sounds OK. There's 2 layers of fabric there. Only the top is torn, and the layer beneath quite intact. I'd planned on gluing it to the bottom layer, since they're stitched together anyway and don't move independent to each other.