Tell us about your last flight

Admin

2 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Xair

Would have been bloody freezing - ski suit or freezer suit is the go this time of year

I went gliding yesterday - sunny but very cool. 

• Like 1

On 16/06/2024 at 8:56 PM, Blueadventures said:

Skippy this is image of lower port engine mount bolt; others same. Thread not protruding nylon nut.

IMG_0646.jpeg

Something has been changed.

If memory serves, where you have whats looks like a cupped washer from a car suspension, there were purpose made aluminium plates.  This goes for all the through firewall bolts.

You need to remember that the engine frame and remains of front wheel mount, steering mechanism were all removed,  prior to the new owners purchasing the aircraft.

Prior to the accident, the engine frame to firewall mounting bolts , all had at least 3 shreds showing above the nut.

How the engine frame has been fixed and refitted, is for the new owner to comment on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterg said:

Would have been bloody freezing - ski suit or freezer suit is the go this time of year

I went gliding yesterday - sunny but very cool. 

2 hours ago, peterg said:

Did the Air live at YBRS a few years ago?

Yes. It started life at Bairnsdale. A bloke in lakes built the kit. Then it went to Queensland then ended up back at Bairnsdale. 

45 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

It started life at Bairnsdale

YBRS = Barwon Heads - used to be an Xair in a similar colour scheme there

1 hour ago, peterg said:

YBRS = Barwon Heads - used to be an Xair in a similar colour scheme there

Sorry, I should have looked closer. Thought it was Bairnsdale , and I have been to Specsavers😁

• Like 1

Last week I had a big vibration in the circuit and checked everything on the ground, couldn’t find the problem. It felt like a carb issue like when I had one stuck throttle cable. Then a friend said what about carb ice? What a dummy I am. It was ten degrees and 73% humidity, perfect carb ice conditions. Flew today in same conditions with carb heat on and no problems. My only excuse is that my previous two 912  aircraft did not have carb heat, so it wasn’t on my mental checklist. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

7 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Last week I had a big vibration in the circuit and checked everything on the ground, couldn’t find the problem. It felt like a carb issue like when I had one stuck throttle cable. Then a friend said what about carb ice? What a dummy I am. It was ten degrees and 73% humidity, perfect carb ice conditions. Flew today in same conditions with carb heat on and no problems. My only excuse is that my previous two 912  aircraft did not have carb heat, so it wasn’t on my mental checklist. 

No, I agree it’s easily missed. 

I’ve added carb heat on religiously regardless of temp and humidity as part of my descent checklist. Can’t see any reason not to. It’s 50-100rpm  reduction for a missed approach and part of a missed approach check list is cram, climb and clean so it gets done anyway.

Edited by Mike Gearon
  • Agree 1

On 23/06/2024 at 5:44 PM, skippydiesel said:

Something has been changed.

If memory serves, where you have whats looks like a cupped washer from a car suspension, there were purpose made aluminium plates.  This goes for all the through firewall bolts.

You need to remember that the engine frame and remains of front wheel mount, steering mechanism were all removed,  prior to the new owners purchasing the aircraft.

Prior to the accident, the engine frame to firewall mounting bolts , all had at least 3 shreds showing above the nut.

How the engine frame has been fixed and refitted, is for the new owner to comment on.

He said all fastenings and parts were marked for where they went so I assume that was how it was.  The labelling would have been great for him.  (I was brought up and still label parts and fastenings for future reference) He corrected the matter immediately before its first flight so nuts comply with rules for thread protrusion.  They are not bolts through the engine frame as I checked there and longer bolts would have been good to fit; but the thread is part of the frame so cannot be changed without welding new thread pieces.  All good now.

• Informative 1

12 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

He said all fastenings and parts were marked for where they went so I assume that was how it was.  The labelling would have been great for him.  (I was brought up and still label parts and fastenings for future reference) He corrected the matter immediately before its first flight so nuts comply with rules for thread protrusion.  They are not bolts through the engine frame as I checked there and longer bolts would have been good to fit; but the thread is part of the frame so cannot be changed without welding new thread pieces.  All good now.

Yes its  threaded rod on the engine frame bolts is just an easier description.

There were labeled packets of parts, not individual fitting instructions.

The engine frame was mounted - ready for repair - on a heavy plywood "jig" that I made up. No clear recollection but likly did not use the same washers/nuts on the jig, as when mounted in aircraft - this may be where the confusion arises (use of automotive suspension washers???)

Edited by skippydiesel