Pilot found dead inside plane wreckage

August 18, 2007 04:56pm

Article from: AAP

THE body of a pilot and the wreckage of his light plane, missing since Thursday, have been found in far north Queensland.

A rescue helicopter spotted the wreckage on a ridge line in the Cardwell State Forest about 4km north-west of Dallachy at about 10.15am (AEST) today.

The 34-year-old male pilot, the only person on board the plane, did not survive the crash.

The eight-seater Fletcher single engine plane was last seen leaving Ingham at about 3pm on Thursday, northward bound for Tully about an hour's flight away.

The wreckage was found after an extensive air and ground search co-ordinated by the Rescue Co-ordination Centre (RCC), which extended its search east of Hinchinbrook Island due to the prevailing thick cloud cover and poor weather conditions.

The search included the use of seven helicopters and three planes as well as support from Queensland police, maritime rescue and more than 50 State Emergency Services volunteers.

The accident will now be investigated by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

Guest pelorus32

This aircraft was a white Cresco, VH-XMN. It was apparently a parachute aircraft being returned from maintenance on its nose wheel - nothing to do with safety of flight.

Weather was basically IMC.

Sad outcome.

M

:;)3:

So the old Casa safety equation of

VMC/IMC=CD

goes from theory to practice again.... Bugger. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Bloody rotten way of remembering it. My condolences to the family and friends.

Ben

(where a flight from visual conditions into Instrument conditions equals certain death for non instrument trained pilots)

Flying the Cresco he would quite possibly hold a instrument rating. there is also a thing called lowest safe altitude that may have caught him out. you cannot deviate from track in that area. tricky area in bad weather.

ozzie

As I understand it this was not an IFR flight, and while I do not know for sure, he was possibly rated and in an a/c capable of it, so why was he not doing a full IFR flight, with ATC etc?

Very sad result and I think it will be a while befor ATSB post a report. But until then we should be careful about making assumptions.

Also time to review our own practices.

J

Folks,

I live in the area and know the area quite well - the LAME Jeff Brown is really good on the aircraft. At the time, low cloud was closing in. Without pre-empting the verdict - going on the time of the day, the rapidly deteriorating weather and a serviceable rig, could this be a case of get-home-alitus gone wrong again?

Condolences to the family for the loss of a great jump pilot and bitter for the loss of a good aircraft.

If the weather sets in within this area, it is common knowledge to head seaward and work around the front of Hinchinbrook Island avoiding the steep cul de sac valleys on the range - at least there is long beaches for an emergency landing. Better still - take the bus.

Regards

Perry

Guest pelorus32
Folks,

If the weather sets in within this area, it is common knowledge to head seaward and work around the front of Hinchinbrook Island avoiding the steep cul de sac valleys on the range - at least there is long beaches for an emergency landing. Better still - take the bus.

Regards

Perry

G'day Perry,

Can I just clarify: By "the front of Hinchinbrook" do you mean the seaward side or the Channel?

Regards

Mike

Guest Fred Bear

VH XMN

Power Driven Aeroplane with tricycle-fixed landing gear

Single Turboprop engine

Manufacturer: PACIFIC AEROSPACE CORPORATION

Model: 08-600

Serial number: 036

Aircraft first registered in Australia: 07 July 2004

Full Registration

Registration holder as of 08 June 2006