[10 Oct 2015] Nhill 75th Anniversary Airshow (Nhill Vic)

red750

What a small world aviation is!

I noticed the control tower truck had the name "D KUBE" on the door but didn't twig until I read Ron Watts's autobiography, Crosswinds, which the author was selling at the MAF display.

About two-thirds through the book, which is about Ron's life as a pilot with the MAF, I came across a reference to his meeting in WA with an AIM padre and former farmer from Jeparit, Don Kube. Don and wife Rae were based in Meekatharra and flew their C182 up to my old place, Cobra Station when I was there in the late 70's.

I hope Don's navigation skills improved over time because his visit back then, while very welcome, was totally unexpected. My curiosity was satisfied when I realised he thought he was at another property a mere 100 miles to the south! Further investigation led to him extracting a 1956 Shell roadmap from the Cessna door pocket. I remember noticing that Mt Newman (nearest bulk fuel) didn't even exist back then.

Incidentally, Ron's book is a good read for anyone who loves a combination of flying and Outback stories. These men (and women) of the flying missions brought a lot of comfort and pleasure to their isolated parishes, especially back then when the RFDS "pedal" was the only means of communication apart from the fortnightly mail truck. And they are still doing this...I saw a TV segment yesterday where the Salvos are using an R44 in the Kimberley and, by doing so, they are following a tradition started by their colleagues in Tiger Moths and later in Austers straight after the war. Very special people, all of them, men and women.

Kaz

• Like 1