What I want in an aviation documentary video

old man emu

I'm sick of seeing the same stock footage in documentaries about famous airplanes. How many Allied fighters shot down that twin-engined plane from the rear? Which plane shot up that traain by coming in from the side? And what about the one that straffed one from rear to front? How many times did the same Zero on a Kamikaze dive get shot to bits?

And I'm sick of their commentary that seems vomited up from the pages of Jimmy's First Book of Airplanes.

What I would like to see in a documentary about any famous type of plane is:

1: A good look around the airplane such as you would do in a pre-flight.

2: A close inspection of the interior areas such as the cockpit and crew positions - maybe even displays of entering and leaving gun turrets.

3: A look at the structure through removed cowlings and panels. Such things as gun bays; control surface linkages; plumbing lines and cabling; armour.

4: Significant components like the various gun-sights and bomb-sights (There are videos on YouTube about the Norden)

5: Pilot's operating manual and some operational data - weights, loads speeds etc.

6: A flight sequence showing take-off, climb to maneuvering height, typical maneuvers from a pilot's-eye view, then return to the circuit and landing.

I'm sure that there are enough examples of famous planes around the world to make some really interesting and informative documentaries.

OME

• Like 1
  • Agree 1