Plane Down - Gippsland

I have just been advised a plane has gone down in the vicinity of 366 Upper Maffra Road Newry.

The 45 year old pilot has landed in the paddock of a veggie farm and is believed to be ok but with some sort of head injury, it is believed he has clipped powerlines during the "forced" landing.

No details on the aircraft at this stage.

ULTRA light plane has crashed in Gippsland this afternoon.

Emergency services were called Newry, near Maffra, about 12.45pm.

The plane has come down over power lines.

Ambulance Victoria is waiting to assess the pilot at the scene.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/light-plane-crashes-in-newry-near-maffra-gippsland/news-story/86787418d26fa01ee8d45db7a5005e76

Robbo Edit: My understanding is the pilot has a spinal injury and he is being loaded onto the ambulance chopper at the moment bound for the Alfred

BobHearing reports it was a hang glider with a motorised harness not a Trike

Cheers

Alf

Alf , I only caught a quick glimpse on the telly and noticed the 'mast ', wing and little else ,and concluded , perhaps incorrectly , that it was a trike . Well they are similar aren't they ... engine providing thrust , wings for lift , etc etc . 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif ..... Bob

Alf , I only caught a quick glimpse on the telly and noticed the 'mast ', wing and little else ,and concluded , perhaps incorrectly , that it was a trike . Well they are similar aren't they ... engine providing thrust , wings for lift , etc etc . 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif ..... Bob

Yep not much different to an A380 really or a Cessna for that matter.

• Agree 2

Bob

Guess to the media it will be Cessna in any case so we should just stick to that eh

As like you I am from the area but being at work it raised alarm bells as there are plenty of pilots I know down that way, thankfully it is no one I know from what I am hearing

At the end of the day the pilot is still alive at this stage and a powerline has once again claimed another flying machine whatever it may be

Alf

• Agree 1

Bob,

Was a Hang glider with a motor as you will see by a photo someone took of him flying low over the Tinamba food & wine festival, looks like a clear cut pilot doing stupid stuff once again and got caught out by a power line.

http://www.gippslandtimes.com.au/story/3828234/pilot-suffers-spinal-injuries/?cs=1198

Alf

• Agree 3

Where's the motor on the hang glider in the photograph. Looks like an archive photo of a hang glider to me. Would a motorised hang glider (if there is such a thing) be on the RAA register?.

Where's the motor on the hang glider in the photograph. Looks like an archive photo of a hang glider to me. Would a motorised hang glider (if there is such a thing) be on the RAA register?.

Yep, media would not know the difference between a powered and non powered hang glider.

Bill,

Might want to look at this video, they do get around and are out there, not sure whether they come under HGFA rules

And if you look at the photo again you might just see some resemblance, apparently the photo is from someone at the Tinamba festival that took it about 10 minutes before the gong beater collected the wire

Cheers

Alf

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwihwrCz8_bLAhXGupQKHeIaAF8QtwIILzAD&url=https://vimeo.com/15308810&usg=AFQjCNFOuABRpY6l96uOI24eMkbUutEIqw

• Informative 1

Crickey, it's even got retracts!

Ear-splitting engine must detract from the enjoyment.

In the 70's we stopped on the way home from practising at Oran Park to watch two similar aircraft over Luddenham. Turned out to be Steve Cohen and mate- pioneers of our ultralight movement.

Bill,Might want to look at this video, they do get around and are out there, not sure whether they come under HGFA rules

And if you look at the photo again you might just see some resemblance, apparently the photo is from someone at the Tinamba festival that took it about 10 minutes before the gong beater collected the wire

Cheers

Alf

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwihwrCz8_bLAhXGupQKHeIaAF8QtwIILzAD&url=https://vimeo.com/15308810&usg=AFQjCNFOuABRpY6l96uOI24eMkbUutEIqw

Well Alf - I'll be buttered on both sides!!.

Well Alf - I'll be buttered on both sides!!.

Bill

I'd say the photo in the Gippytimes is legit of the gong beater before his demise, if not he is 7ft tall and has no meat on his legs as in the photo there is something sticking out towards the back and it ain't body parts

Would you like to be toasted before being buttered on both sides??? lol

Alf

Here is a larger pic and you can clearly see something hanging out the back, I have heard the bloke flying it was from Tasmania.

This pic was taken by someone at the festival.

?temp_hash=c095b1773e54d42a357f2d22a60b17af

image.jpeg.f5bd1857ad64ce3660442cdc531cafc6.jpeg

On a serious note, I am pretty keen to get into one of these powered portable aircraft. Is there any reason for the failures/accidents or is just fairly typical failure rate of small aircraft? (ie, we always see the bad side, not the good side)

On a serious note, I am pretty keen to get into one of these powered portable aircraft. Is there any reason for the failures/accidents or is just fairly typical failure rate of small aircraft? (ie, we always see the bad side, not the good side)

Flying is safe as long as your not a d**khead and treat the aircraft with respect.

Never fly outside your experience, training and limitations.

• Agree 3

Pearo,

All aircraft are only as safe as the person operating it, stay away from power lines, no beating up or showing off, fly conservative and smart, sound training and continue to practice skills taught to you will give you a great chance of living to a ripe old age, there are plenty of good things to see in aviation but we usually only see the bad stuff from people making bad decisions

Alf

• Agree 4

Not sure this one failed until it hit the power lines.

From my understanding, the failure occurred before the power lines. I always pick landing spots when flying, but I always assume that all the good spots have power lines. When you have a failure, sometimes you become desperate. I had an issue a few weeks back and it was nothing, I could only imagine an engine failure.

I guess if your dicking around at tree top level you don't have much choice if the fan stops

Height is your friend in aviation unless of course your on fire then that would be the only time I'd like to be down nearer the ground