weather station

Now have two working in Oz if anyone is interested

ynrm.avmet.nz (not actually Narromine airfield - down the road a bit)

yktn.avmet.nz is recent - at Kyneton

IB

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

These are awesome! Are they solar/3G?

Solar no. 3G yes. Could be solar I suppose. It runs off 12V DC and draws about 350 mA. I run it off a wall wart feeding a long connection. Uses about 250 MB/month so a Telstra 12-mo $50 5GB data pass works fine.

Raspberry Pi (running weewx) + basic Jaycar weather station + 4 Webcams + 3G modem stick + box + pole. I designed the page on the KISS principle.

How many would you like? :-)

The system at YKTN is very popular with the club already. Unfortunately it just shows us from home that the WX is RS for flying at the moment. But when you are flying it is great to check the wind/runway direction ten miles inbound on your phone. Easy to set up, Ian did a great job.

• Informative 1

• 11 months later...

An update on the Kyneton weather station. I think club members now consider it an essential club asset. Kyneton is sometimes fogged in on winter mornings and members live up to an hour away, so it saves a lot of wasted travel. And planning the last leg of a flight home can be done with confidence. You can check it out at YKTN.avmet.nz. It is an NZ site because Ian manages it and that's where he lives. Thanks again Ian.

I installed a home made one using a arduino and its connected to Wunderground via my wireless broadband router that is on all the time, I also remotely control stuff up here with the system so I can see it live when flying up to my farm here about 50km west of Bunderberg. I will be adding a camera to it as well in the next couple of months. It is a weatherduino running a Davis Vantage Pro instrument pack. I have a problem with wind direction vane at the moment and the humidity sensor is acting up as well. Just arrived up here for the weekend so will find out why the vane isnt working but the humidity sensors do have a habit of occasional failure I am told.

Ringwood Station Weather | Personal Weather Station: IQUEENSL1244 by Wunderground.com | Weather Underground

The wearher station at Narromine is a cheapy, gives some random data every so often.

Single camera is great tool as there isnt any wx or radar west of here

Wombat pic is displayed after dark, saves data