Taylor-Monoplane

Don January

3 hours ago, Red said:

I keep meaning to get to Sackville then something else comes up (Broken foot at the moment hence all the posts in here), will you keep her there?

G-BMET is coming up to live in Welshpool
She'll be in Sackville until mid August .. but once I have her we'll be going all over the place.

One man, one airplane, one tent - unlimited adventure.

• Winner 1

19 hours ago, Rhys1701 said:

G-BMET is coming up to live in Welshpool
She'll be in Sackville until mid August .. but once I have her we'll be going all over the place.

One man, one airplane, one tent - unlimited adventure.

Some lovely grass strips around the Welsh Borders, have fun

• Like 1

9 hours ago, facthunter said:

Rhys, square wingtips etc are crap compared to the original design. Nev

Negligible difference on a light aircraft with less power than a fly's fart and a cruise speed of a brisk jog ..
It's not like it's been designed for every 1% efficiency for a M0.80 cruise at FL35 

A study in 1971 even shows there's such a tiny difference: cruise and stall speeds altered by only a couple of mph for an assumed 55hp homebuilt aircraft
http://acversailles.free.fr/documentation/08~Documentation_Generale_M_Suire/Conception/Dimensionnement/Aile/Comparison_of_square_round_and_Hoerner_wing_tips.pdf

It just boils down to cosmetic appeal and individuality

Teggs. What about those rudder and elevator cables any head way. Diehl wings from a KR-2 is the way to go. Nice taper and lots of aileron.  

Edited by Don J

Hi Don,

No not yet. I will get the rudder and elevator on after I have finished the hinges and then use some string to see just how big a problem I have got!

1 hour ago, Teggles said:

Hi Don,

No not yet. I will get the rudder and elevator on after I have finished the hinges and then use some string to see just how big a problem I have got!

Rudder cables probably won't be too bad but depending on where elevator cables fair leads are positioned that may be a headache. Do you have support blocks on Horizontal Stab and rudder post at hinge locations? Also don't forget Sheet 2 of prints section C-C showing the balsa in center of spars under the fabric I almost forgot those, and gap would have been terrible. And keep in mind you need room for hinge pins to come out at least one side by the balsa on center of spars.👌

Edited by Don J
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Just having a celebration cup of tea (I am British). Hinges made and rudder on with no binding or play - and it’s straight! Yes there is more to do, but you have to take the wins when they come 😁.

IMG_2034.thumb.jpeg.f5e4e2658129663cb12c488b7fbe6558.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

What is the plan on mounting the vertical Stab to the tail post? Are you going to use the hinge bolts? Don't forget those balsa strips that go on the leading edge of the rudder spar and elevator before fabric. Just think my friend only a few hundred things to do.🤪 Keep at it and keep use posted. DJ

• Like 1

That’s a good thought, I was thinking of separate bolts for the vertical stab but combining them with the hinge is a good idea. I have the balsa for gap sealing, so that will go on in the next few days.

• Like 1

The top rudder hinge would be an easy transfer of holes to the VS you do have two bolts holding the hinge half on? Are you going tail skid or wheel? I used self-locking tee-nuts on the inside of my VS and HS along with elevator spar to ease in mounting and un-mounting of controls. then left enough thread to pass t-nut to add a ny-locking nut for further safety. Access holes had to be incorporated to pass a wrench inside to hold nuts and fabric patches will cover them for future access. How is the cable routing going? Hope all is well and happy flying Teggles.

t-mono.jpg

• Informative 1

I have yet to start on the VS, but will look at using the hinge bolts to secure it. I will have a tail skid, lots of grass strips around here and will save a little weight. Cable routing….as you say the rudder should be straight forward but the elevator I am trying not to think about 😂😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2024 at 6:41 PM, Don J said:

Access holes had to be incorporated to pass a wrench inside to hold nuts and fabric patches will cover them for future access. 

Would you happen to have a couple of photos of this please?

I'm looking to convert mine from tail skid to steerable tail wheel

6 hours ago, Rhys1701 said:

Would you happen to have a couple of photos of this please?

I'm looking to convert mine from tail skid to steerable tail wheel

Page 2 you will see the access holes are for the ability to get to the hinge bolts of the elevator and rudder hinges the tail wheel is a stock Scott full swivel type and activated by rudder horn.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a thought, anyone know of a short wingspan mono? JT states on the plans that the wing can be reduced by 1 bay (12.5 inches) from the tip. Ailerons stay the same. The stall speed will increase, roll rate a bit quicker? A little lighter?

• Informative 1

Believe me Teggles with your fuel capacity and with the lower hp a shorter wing will not be liked. Now if you put a 0200 on it with shorter wings, we may find a spot at Reno air races going fast and turning left.😉

• Haha 1

I am not so sure. It’s a 10% reduction in span but if I can keep the weight under control then the wing loading will be less than that. Why does John Taylor mention it on the plans? He must have done the numbers and was happy with it.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Teggles said:

I am not so sure. It’s a 10% reduction in span but if I can keep the weight under control then the wing loading will be less than that. Why does John Taylor mention it on the plans? He must have done the numbers and was happy with it.

Not sure of the reason either but I would guess it may have something to do with the length of the root spars option regarding placement of Main landing gear mounts. You can mount at root spar or wing root.

• Informative 1

To be honest I am just kicking around ideas. I don’t have much contact with other Taylor Mono owners as they all seem to live on the other side of the UK from me. So as my build progresses, just trying to see what other people think. It’s part of the fun of the build 😁

• Like 2

Looks great Teggles. It's a shame that all that gets hidden under plywood. Don't forget those hinge blocks on the inside of spar and I also mounted T-nuts before final ply was added. 1mm ply is tougher than I thought it would be to wrap around the leading edge but some soaking in hot water and a heavy 2" pipe worked wonders. Keep at it friend and keep us posted.

t-mono.jpg

• Like 1