Overseas and getting "con-ed"

flying dog

Ok, here's the question:

There is this show called "Banged up abroad" which is where people get them selves into silly/sticky situations while overseas.

Why anyone would do it, is beyond me, but it poses a question:

What happens if you are overseas and someone threatens you to do something - like carry drugs - and if you don't they DO have enough information on you to make your life "difficult".

I know it is a no brainer what to do, but WHO do you go to?

Going to the local police they would probably laugh at you and lock you up.

Anyway, I know nothing about what to do, the scenario is described.

Thoughts/comments?

Inflict as much damage you can to them as possible then get the next flight out. Dont worry about what laws you are breaking.The police forces are generally corrupt, so they are probably in on most of the scams used on tourists. Most important thing to do is disappear until you can hop on a flight back home. (the countries in your scenario are backward 3rd world type countries) the scenario wouldnt happen in countries like the UK, USA etc. Nth Africa, some Asian and Middle Eastern countries are a problem. Also if in those type of countries, people have to distance themselves from our type of laws.Life is cheap in some countries if you know what I mean.

One of the biggest problems is with the bleeding heart squad mobs, turning up in some shitty country trying too be do- gooders and all they do is get themselves kidnapped.

Good place to hide would be the Australian Embassy.If there is one.

Well thats what I reckon .

• 2 weeks later...

First of all don't ask for advice here, as few have any actual experience with this type of thing. Second, don't act like the typical out of control back packer. Third, think!

Go to the consulate. Don't go to the cops. When I was working in one of the countries that you expect this type of thing to occur in, we were given some advice. They didn't want a bunch of young and dumb types like us getting into trouble.

If you find something, get into trouble, get done over, don't go to the cops as the local system is to lock everyone up first and then work out who did what. They don't work out which of the two parties is the victim, they chuck them both in a cell to start with. And then your troubles start. Go to the consulate.

If you have a secret someone is using against you, you may need to choose the lesser of two evils. I bet the secret is the lesser.

Another thing they told us was to stay away from the women, as they are easy to pick up and as soon as your pants hit the floor the cops kick in your door and it's a large "fine" to get out of being accused of something nasty.

Always go to the consulate first. Stay out of the local system, as you won't get out again easily. They are not designed to let you out.

Guest Andys@coffs

I pressume people are aware of the consular agreements that Australia has with other western governments? Australia doesnt always have consular representation everywhere you go so knowing who else you can turn to is a useful bit of info before you get into trouble.

In general Canada and Australia work together so if there isnt Australian representation then try the Canadians. Otherwise http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/ has a page showing every contry and the "Get Help" Tab has the details of were an Australian can get help if in trouble.

Andy

Guest Howard Hughes
If you find something, get into trouble, get done over, don't go to the cops as the local system is to lock everyone up first and then work out who did what.

In Mexico if you have a traffic accident they lock you up until you can prove that you have the necessary insurance (only the Government insurance accepted).

In South Africa I've heard if a cop tries to pull you over you keep driving - to the nearest police station. This will sort out if they are genuine cops or not because apparently a good many aren't. Similarly I wouldn't stop for an 'unmarked police car' in Australia, they need to show they are legit first and not car-jackers with a couple of little lights.

Yeah, I've been told by people who lived there, if you are driving along and run someone over - or think you have - DO NOT STOP AND GO BACK!

Odds on it is fake and it is not going to be nice for you.

Oh, how sad the world has become in these ways.

Ok, here's the question:There is this show called "Banged up abroad" which is where people get them selves into silly/sticky situations while overseas.

Why anyone would do it, is beyond me, but it poses a question:

What happens if you are overseas and someone threatens you to do something - like carry drugs - and if you don't they DO have enough information on you to make your life "difficult".

I know it is a no brainer what to do, but WHO do you go to?

Going to the local police they would probably laugh at you and lock you up.

Anyway, I know nothing about what to do, the scenario is described.

Thoughts/comments?

flyingdog: are you overseas at the moment?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howard Hughes
Yeah, I've been told by people who lived there, if you are driving along and run someone over - or think you have - DO NOT STOP AND GO BACK!

Funnily enough I was given the same advice when I arrived in a Central Australian town!

1. I wouldn't stop for an 'unmarked police car' in Australia

2. DO NOT STOP AND GO BACK!

Interesting comments - I would suggest some legal advice or you may have plenty of time on your hands to reflect on your decision - talking about Australia. [i.e fail to stop legislation & Callous disregard penalties]

Your choise.

1. I wouldn't stop for an 'unmarked police car' in Australia2. DO NOT STOP AND GO BACK!

Interesting comments - I would suggest some legal advice or you may have plenty of time on your hands to reflect on your decision - talking about Australia. [i.e fail to stop legislation & Callous disregard penalties]

Your choise.

Ditto Frank. People who don't stop for an unmarked police car, mustn't like their own car, because failing to stop is a hoon offence. You lose your car for 30 days and you get the privilege of paying the tow and impound fees as well - usually over $1000.

Ditto Frank. People who don't stop for an unmarked police car, mustn't like their own car, because failing to stop is a hoon offence. You lose your car for 30 days and you get the privilege of paying the tow and impound fees as well - usually over $1000.

Plus, in some jurisdictions, not stopping for a police car may result in 'earning' a criminal record for life