Richmond Airshow 2006

Guest Chainsaw

Guest Chainsaw

Hi all,

Saturday 21st October 2006

All pics here: http://chainsaw.fotopic.net/

We (Chainy and Latte) travelled by car to Richmond and arrived about 8am. Firecom arrived later as part of a VIP party (don't ask).

The weather was very ordinary, especially for photography. It was quite cool and with low darkish clouds. yukky.

We started by looking at the display aircraft, the Hawk, Beaver, F-111. I was surprised to see a Beaver there. Its one of my most favourite planes, so I was thrilled. This example was very well kept indeed in sparkling white.

We then looked at the Roulettes. What neat planes! They were all lines up ready for action. I really liked the colour scheme close up. We then moved on to look at the bigger planes. The 707 looked in great condition and next to it was the P3 Orion.

Next was the mighty C17. We boarded here to have a good look (as well as 30,000 others). The size was quite amazing and it looked new. The detail inside was incredible. The ramp at the back was huge. It reminded me of a huge whale. Every square inch was carefully used. Very impressive.

We looked at the FA-18's all lined up. They looked well maintained.

Next on the list was an Australian Airforce BBJ which was in perfect condition. I couldn't see a mark on it.

We went into two of the hangers which were on display. The first one looks after the 707 engines. The second hanger look after C130 Herc's. Two were inside and looked great. This hanger is very clean.

Next was the Canberra, Meteor and Vampire. These old jets were in suburb condition. For their age, I couldn't believe how well kept they are. Work was being done on the port side engine on the Canberra.

Ok that done, we looked at the serious planes *grin* - Spitfire and Mustang.

At this point, Latte had to give me CPR. These planes do something to me which I wont talk about on here. I read extensively about WW2, so it was a great thrill to see these two wonderful examples. Of the two, the Mustang looked to be in slightly better condition. Even though there was ropes around the Spit and the Mustang, you could still get very close to them. After seeing these two, Latte suggested we must go to Temora for a flying day. How could I say no?

Latte's favourite plane was right next to the Mustang. It was the Tiger Moth from Point Cook. Needless to say, it was also in great condition.

After a further walk around, we settled down next to the fence to get ready for the flying display.

The Tiger was up early and was easy to photograph cause its slow and didn't go very high! heh. The Mustang put on a terrific display, and ohhhh the sound. Have I told you all about the Sound Of Round and how wonderful it is?? The Packard engine sounded brilliant.

The three old jets, the Meteor, Canberra and Vampire were wonderful in the air. They were all very impressive. I loved them.

The Roulettes were a little disappointing and the lead pilot had broken his leg a week or two before and therefore the display was short. I suppose it was only disappointing because I had seen them compete a full display another time.

The F-111 completed a neat display. That dump and burn (twice) was spectacular. The Squirrel Helos did some amazing things together. We were surprise just how close they could fly next to and past each other. This display and the one by the Seahawk Helo just goes to show how well trained our pilots are. Have you even seen a chopper land on its back wheel only and then roll backwards along the runway on this one wheel at an angle of 30 degrees? Amazing stuff.

The P3 Orion was fab too. Oh the Sound Of Round again. It did one pass with its bomb doors open and dropped a simulated charge on a target. They hit the mark perfectly.

One of the most impressive aircraft displays was the Caribou. This thing turns on a sixpence! It did a couple of STOL (short take off and landing) runs. It was amazing seeing the very very steep approach angle. That plane just stopped fast!

There was a solo display by the Hawk trainer. This is an impressive trainer, very manoeuvrable and quite fast. The pilot was very skilled.

Of course, the C130 Hercules aircraft were great. The 'J' model in particular is quieter and faster then the older 'H'. I think its also longer. Both the H and the J were joined by the B707 in a fly past. They were very close together and it really looked fantastic.

The FA18 did a solo display and the best part was the 'hand-brake' turns. Wow! Its vertical climbs were also impressive.

Then came the USAF C17. Ok, I have to say I was very impressed with this bird on the ground. But when it did a display, Latte, Firecom and I were blown away. What an amazing plane. The manoeuvrability was almost as good as the Caribou. Was I dreaming? The roll speed ability of this plane was amazing. The pilot could change from a port to a starboard bank at a rapid rate. The engines have so much grunt too. Ok, thats was very impressive, but when they decided to do a short landing, I thought yep sure. Little did I realise that this plane can stop almost in its own shadow. And, its so quiet! Considering this planes size, a big thumbs up for purchasing these planes. Wow!

Over all, the day was great, and well worth the $25 entry fee each. If we had another day there, it would have been even better to check out all the other non-plane displays. The organisers did a fantastic job. Everything went very smoothly, and nothing seemed rushed. The co-ordination of the planes by the ATC was spot on.

Congrats to all.

Don't forget to have a look at our pics at: http://chainsaw.fotopic.net/

Guest Steve R
We will have to go next year.

There's no airshow at Richmond next year if that's what you mean

Nice trip report Chainy. Sounds like a good effort well organised and well presented. (I wonder if the Avalon organisers were there?) A 2 day trip to an airshow is a must though if you have the time. Spend one day checking out the exhibits and stands and the next day camped on the Flight line with Esky and Foldaways and if. like Chainy, you get to take your own Hosties then so much the better

Guest Steve R
Yeah thats what I ment. Do they do the same as Avalon and have it every 2nd year?

Why do Airshows do that?

Most airshows are an annual event but you're confusing trade shows with Air Shows. Air Shows are simply a semi commercial operation for Joe Public while Trade Shows are more targeted to the Aerospace Industry. Farnborough is perhaps the best known trade Show and even that's only held every other year to alternate (I believe) with Paris.

The RAAF normally have an annual show with the last three being at Amberley, Pearce and now Richmond.

Guest David747

Thanks for the great report Chainsaw! Great to see you had such a brilliant day. :D Shame about the weather. Some great photos there too!

If the ADF have another airshow next year, I reckon they'll have it at Edinbourough. I am looking at going to the Avalon Airshow next year, so lets hope it is really good. Oh, and by the way Glenn, I like your new display pic! :P

David...

Guest Chainsaw

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I just wish you all could have been there with me.

One thing that did happen was when the C17 did a short landing the inboard starboard engine had a compressor stall. I missed it with my still camera, but Latte did catch it on video. I will be putting that up on Chainy's Video Plane Cuts site (patience patience, I will launch it soon). In the meantime, here is a poor quality pic of the compressor stall (extracted from the video)

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I just wish you all could have been there with me.One thing that did happen was when the C17 did a short landing the inboard starboard engine had a compressor stall. I missed it with my still camera, but Latte did catch it on video. I will be putting that up on Chainy's Video Plane Cuts site (patience patience, I will launch it soon). In the meantime, here is a poor quality pic of the compressor stall (extracted from the video)

Awesome Pic Mate. What sort of damage would an stall like that cause to the jet?

Guest Chainsaw

Thanks Mark,

The display was wonderful. What that guy did with PIP was amazing! It was quite obvious that he and the plane were one.

Chainy :)

Guest Chainsaw

Photo updates plus video site

Hi all,

I have added some more pics to the Richmond Airshow Collections at my photo site. Please have a look as I'm sure you will like them. The ones added tonight have no description. I'll fix that tomorrow night.

I have also created a video site for aircraft, including a number of Richmond Videos. You are welcome there too.

Thanks for all your nice comments,

Chainy

Pics: http://chainsaw.fotopic.net/

Videos: http://www.lifestoriesradio.com/planes/

With the video site, if you have a microphone, you can leave audio comments up to 1.5Mb in size. Have fun!

Guest richmondtroy

the good thing about living so close to the base was that i got there right on open and because there was no one collecting money at the rear entrance so early in the morning, i got in for free! both days!

Its a shame about the f-15's not being there, they did say they were tied up in singapore and couldnt get clearance however the program was printed without the f-15's on the flying list. Looks like they werent even going to make it in the first placeif you ask me!

Guest doubled

The program was printed in advance.

F15s were didn't arrive due public holiday in Singapore. Singaporians take their holidays pretty seriously.

Guest richmondtroy

Yeah thats what i was trying to say. The programs were printed in advance and didnt include the f-15's so they must have known quite early that they werent going to be coming in.

Guest doubled

Actually they were printed before the F15s were originally coming.

They had a technical issue on the Friday and delayed 24 hours. Saturday was the issue.