VH-XBA in Canberra

Todd M

Yeah was not allowed, even though they asked. They could not hold any departing aircraft for two seconds to allow the A380 to go lower (I don't even think there was any traffic, if so it wasn't anything big, probs a cessna or a metro).

Guest Darren Masters

G'day Todd. Missed you today buddy. You must have been down the end of the fence. I should have got in contact with you last night but I was rushed after work and tired and we knew we would have an early start this morning. Ok (so so) weather you guys put on down there today. Temp was nice and fresh (just how I like it). Don't think it went above 10 degrees :shock: Spotting there, good stuff. It was a bit like Dash 8, another Dash 8, hmmm...more disco lights. Now I see what you mean my friend about YSCB :lol: :lol: Saw DJ VH-VOD, Brindabella death pencil (Metro), Emirates take off A6-ERF (incase you were wondering), VH-XBA just about ripped my ears apart (talk about smoke too) and ofcourse the highlight for me was the A380. It was a bit of an anti-climax though as she was high. Passed over x-wind,tracked NE (I think) then buggered off. Still, I got a look and that was worth it. We waited 1hr 40 for it. We didn't know it would even be there today so it was good timing. Hear it on your 104.7FM. As I say, shame we did not meet up. We will be back down in 3wks though so hopefully it will happen then. Thanks for sharing the pics too mate. Atleast now we will have some memory of the day and here's some of my bad quality...errrr.28mm (as Chainy calls them) shyte (or however you spell it) pics. Now I will probably get moderated for language

VH-XBA

The mighty A380...or is that a Jabiru? Hard to tell by my pic!

I was up in the new Multi Story carpark near the Qantas Defence Services hanger on the terminal side of the airport with alot of the Canberra Aviation Group spotters! But I noticed quite a few fence side, the Multi story was the best place for it. Steve R was nice enough to drive me (Thanks Steve!) and we went to Multi Story and Mt Pleasent for the A380. Not bad photos, atleast you have a memory of it!!

Guest Darren Masters

Thanks. Yes, both a/c we saw today will not be forgotten. Do you know the rego of the A380? I am lead to believe SQ will launch first flight Changi to YSSY Aug/Sep this year? That will be something to look out for. Worth the trip up to Sydney for you mate methinks. Call us if you are ever coming up here and we can meet up. You will always have transport too no drama. :D

Guest Chainsaw

And I will supply the floaties for The Canal.

btw: F-WWJB 007 Flew as AIB806 today. AIB807 tomorrow.

Darren tried to call you but your phone was off this morning. I was excited at seeing Xray Bravo (and the smoke) from my factory office. That my friends is a jet. Not fussed on the A380.

Methinks we will have to have another Spotting weekend again later this year up in Sydney. Just in time for the Arrival of the 1st Singapore Airlines A380 flight.

Great photos too fellas. I can't wait to see the big bird in the flesh.

Guest Darren Masters

No worries Chainy. I must have been on the way to Canberra and had no signal??? Now this morning, the A380, what a bloody beauty. I was on the way to work. Pouring rain, traffic nightmare due to everyone stopping for a look and I thought bugger it, I will pull over onto the no stopping shoulder too and have a look at her. She was taxiing to and holding on 16R. I was impressed. I was in awe really. Amazing achievement in aviation. I was going to watch her take off and heard tower tell the A380 pilots that they had a 835 am dep for her and was he aware of it. The pilot was not and stated he would continue to wait. He did not have much of a choice really. With that I bid goodbye to her (for a while) and went to work.Still glad I got to see it though.Made my weekend.

• 2 weeks later...