ADSB Grant Skyecho 2 etc

I was having problems with the SE2 not turning on and also not turning off. 100% solved by not using the cigarette lighter and always plugging into a power brick.

I was in China last week on a 24 hour mission and airport security liberated my admittedly fairly large power brick. New visa free travel is great. Just don’t bring your bigger power brick!

Just replaced with a fast charge power brick with 15w, 45w and 100w outlets. The SE2 is dead. I’ve tried various USBc cords and still dead. Seems 100w or 8.3ah cooked it which is very annoying. 

• Informative 1

Uodate… it’s working again. Tried a new combination of USBc’s and outlets. Friend also pointed out the manual says it only likes USB A to C. It’s not USB PD compliant and won’t handshake.

If all else fails read the manual. 

I guess the main point still holds and I’d been meaning to post it. Power brick solves the random power on and power off SE2 problems.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Aldi 

Had a light " power-brick " that has ' solar panel ' as well

As USB input , I have two now , just in case I forget to charge the one in use , 

Yes ,

it has USB output . Of 8,000 mah. Li-polimer battery .

By " Uniden .

spacesailor

• Agree 1

Why is it that the phone & tech gadget industry quote power capacity in mAh and not Ah which is what the standard is and has always been for larger batteries. 8000 mAh is 8 Ah. I have a power bank and its quoted capacity is 30,000 mAh. Why not 30 Ah.  My personal opinion is that it is marketing strategy as they know most people are ignorant and think the bigger the number the better it is.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Why is it that the phone & tech gadget industry quote power capacity in mAh and not Ah which is what the standard is and has always been for larger batteries. 8000 mAh is 8 Ah. I have a power bank and its quoted capacity is 30,000 mAh. Why not 30 Ah.  My personal opinion is that it is marketing strategy as they know most people are ignorant and think the bigger the number the better it is.

Ah is for heavy equipment - car batteries etc.  MAh is for the electronics and light industries AAA, C, D etc.  It has always been thus!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

Yes Most who buy it wont even know what an Ampere is so more zeros just looks impressive but more  concerning is no matter which units they choose  it probably doesnt have the capacity its advertised to have anyway, most of them are lying some of them to a huge degree

True, but when you get as high as 30,000mah I think you've crossed the point where you should be using ah

Edited by Red
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Same as why ppl selling aircraft claim speed in TAS or mph.

But really, mAh or Ah is still irrelevant because what you need to know is energy stored, ie Joules or kWh. They may as well give you the charge capacity in Coulombs.  I suppose it’s still better than places like McDonalds that sell stuff with specifications like small, medium and large.

The other bigger question is whether you believe the claim.

• Winner 1

T he mah is so easy to convert .I didn't even give it a thought. 

Joules  ' Verne ' a good story teller .

That I can't convert.

spacesailor

PS : the same for that KillngWat . Saves adding three noughts. 

It's all French to me.

Edited by spacesailor
PS added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Markdun said:

Same as why ppl selling aircraft claim speed in TAS or mph.

But really, mAh or Ah is still irrelevant because what you need to know is energy stored, ie Joules or kWh. They may as well give you the charge capacity in Coulombs.  I suppose it’s still better than places like McDonalds that sell stuff with specifications like small, medium and large.

The other bigger question is whether you believe the claim.

I wouldnt say its irrelevant, I'm sure anyone who knows what an AMP/Hour also knows you simply times it by the Voltage to get a watt/hour, and both these numbers will be on the battery

• Agree 1

The instant you sight an electrical device of any kind that is manufactured in China, you can guarantee the claimed electrical output has no relation to actual electrical output. This applies whether the item is a battery, a small or large genset, or an electric motor.

Electrical output claims are like a game to the Chinese, on a par with MPG/L/100kms fuel consumption claims, by salespeople in the car sales business.

Mmm. Power bricks I’ve looked on eBay specifies the various input voltages (12vdc or 240vac), & power out voltages 4.5vdc & various others depending on the brick. But what is the relevant voltage of the internal storage battery?