Angel Flight - Lottery to win Cirrus G6 SR22

SGM

Feeling lucky?  and/or want to support a great aviation charity?

A $15 ticket could win you a 2023 Cirrus G6 SR22 - value is listed at $3.47m as it includes Management fees, Hangarage, Fuel (up to $150K), Chartering capabilities, and full pilot training* for the first 12 months

The lottery aims to achieve funds for the purchase of the first small jet (Cirrus Vision Jet), dedicated to the transportation of health professionals and students for placements in rural clinics. The benefit will help to alleviate the problems rural and remote patients are having in attending hospitals, medical services or travel for care across the country. The need having been greatly increased as a result of the COVID pandemic and recent flood events. Angel Flight has helped transport Doctors to communities where there have been no medical services of any kind for months. With your contribution, we hope to make these missions easier, more accessible, and more expansive.

Tickets are available nationwide and can be purchased now through 
yourjetlife.com.  

Video on Sunrise at the launch https://fb.watch/ipK5eHVHm7/

• 4 months later...

Same here ! .

So, no giving spare seats to our forum members.

Up next is a helicopter.  Do we try again ! ,

It , is , for charity. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !

Happy to try again for a good cause but I can’t fly a helicopter so I’ll have to trade it in on something that has wings. Maybe an RV-14.

. An F-18 is far more impressive and you can sit in some of them for free. In MY special world, selling it is  not an option. Converting it isn't allowed.  I'm revisiting HARS in about 5 weeks. . I'd like to  fly the "Southern Cross" Replica , but I can't see that happening.  Nev

• 11 months later...

Looks like the whole thing was a very well organized, well publicized scam. Check out this ACA report...

AF haven't received their coin, ol' mate in WA hasn't received his Cirrus - which looks to still be in the US going by ADS-B trackers, and the Police are now investigating.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2
  • Sad 2

Not sure they're that much at fault, @Marty_d, AF say they had a lawyer go through the documents and if they didn't find fault, there's not much else you can do. Hell even thought it was a bit sketchy after that RAAus Bushcat debacle, but went through the T's & C's, double checked myself with NSW Gaming that they were registered with them, and they also got a bucketload of publicity through the likes of Sunrise & the Today Show among others.

But that scumbag took us all for fools.

I'm not that annoyed about the money TBH, the KR KRew only lost a few hundred dollars, and while that would buy a few cartons or a tank of fuel for the RV, what really hurts is not only did AF not get the $$ raised, they also lost out on another $300K from what looks to be people sending the money to the raffle, vs AF directly. Afterall, as I said to the KRviatrix, if I wanted to donate $100 to AF, would I donate directly, or through a lotto where I had a chance to walk away with a Cirrus and AF would get their moolah. That (to Cirrus-wanting me) was a no-brainer.

Between RAAus and their Bushcat, YourJetLife, and several other ones besides (Horses for Harmony, for example) goes to show the only lotteries that seem to be above board these days are the likes of Powerball, or the meat trays going off at the pub on a Friday night.

• Like 2

bugger. i spent a couple of hundred on that raffle.  i wouldn't care if af actually got the money even if the aircraft didn't exist.

makes me wonder about all the raffles for cars and stuff on facebook, does anyone actually get their prize. there was a girl on tv last year that had her new nissan patrol repoed  shortly after she won it.

Edited by BrendAn

Given the vast amount of advertising spend this had and that it was a satisfactorily registered Art Union raffle it may have been a simple case of costs exceeded revenue. One theory is that in a panic he may have chosen to hang onto what monies he got in, rather than a deliberate scam upfront.

Regardless, it’s a crime, and a crime against a charity which is even worse. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have prepared myself for the public flogging  

but .............. I always fail to see how buying a raffle ticket - somehow is twisted / seen / construed as supporting a charity - you are just a punter hoping for 'pennies from heaven' 

the potential prize and charitable component can't be separated. I think most see this form of cash raising as a raffle ticket - not a donation to a charity

(the cost of a raffle ticket is not a 'donation' claimable as an income deduction as far as the ATO concerned ............ so perhaps ATO support this opinion ?)

But the alternative .

Lotto : self perpetuating.  

Mater hospital lotteries: the chance of that dream home .

A huge difference to my participation. 

spacesailor

PS : it doesn't matter to lose , as it contributes to a good cause .

To win that Cirrus aircraft,  without the 'charitably component would not have got my & other  people involved.

Edited by spacesailor
A I changed involved to in valve
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, johnm said:

I have prepared myself for the public flogging  

but .............. I always fail to see how buying a raffle ticket - somehow is twisted / seen / construed as supporting a charity - you are just a punter hoping for 'pennies from heaven' 

the potential prize and charitable component can't be separated. I think most see this form of cash raising as a raffle ticket - not a donation to a charity

(the cost of a raffle ticket is not a 'donation' claimable as an income deduction as far as the ATO concerned ............ so perhaps ATO support this opinion ?)

That post is miserable and  un Australian.  Take away all the raffles and competitions charities rely on and that leaves a big hole in their revenue.  We got bitten by this scammer but that doesn't normally happen.

I believe it was Paul Keating that once said “If there is a horse called ‘Self Interest’, back it every time !  

So yes, there is certainly a degree of self interest in buying a raffle ticket that by chance happens to be linked to a charity. However, the knowledge that a portion of your spend will be directed to the charity increases the raffle’s attractiveness. That is what both the charity and the promoter are relying on - it’s a synergistic relationship.

There are many ‘charity’ raffles however, where the returns are heavily biased towards the promoter, and it is not easy for the average ‘punter’ to discern that bias.

Choose your discretionary gambling spend wisely.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BrendAn said:

bugger. i spent a couple of hundred on that raffle.  i wouldn't care if af actually got the money even if the aircraft didn't exist.

makes me wonder about all the raffles for cars and stuff on facebook, does anyone actually get their prize. there was a girl on tv last year that had her new nissan patrol repoed  shortly after she won it.

I used to have some dealings with one of these companies as they purchased motorcycles through the dealership,

was all above board. but they are a lottery not a raffle. and work off a subscription service - you dont buy a ticket, but have a certain amount of entries based on the dollars you pay each month.

notice that they all exclude certain states due to gambling laws differing. (if it includes SA chances are its dodgy)

• Like 1

What WE should know with these charities is what % goes to the charity. Sometimes I fear, It's very little. THE IPA funded by people like Gine Reinhart is a tax deductible donation, and "Some of US "isn't   IF you're a pensioner the tax deductibility is irrelevant.. Nev

• Like 1

Takeaway. 

The "  sausage sizzle " , that help those , " none " charitable organisations. 

SES, RFS , JUNIOR FOOTY CLUBS , 

AND

FLYING CLUBS ,  to gain dollars to pay for equipment or services that are just too expensive without ' charitable ' donations .

spacesailor

• Like 1

Maybe the flying clubs could / should " raffle off " a few flying lessons to the public at large .

How many tickets for a $ million dollars.  Perhaps the lease / new aircraft .

Buying that airport , to save the flyers there .

Big money ! .

Just don't run off with it all , & the prize .

Is this a ' charity ' . LoL

spacesailor