Angel Flight - Lottery to win Cirrus G6 SR22

SGM

I bought a ticket, it was just the entry, and I was going anyway, in the Bushcat/Parkes deal. I could not see how it would work based on the usual numbers of people going to these flyin events. I also bought a few tickets in the jet life cirrus. Who doesn't want a Cirrus? 

The jet life promoter, who has been named in the media, would have been well aware of the total ticket sales at the time of draw. Most punters would have thought all was well when he launched the next promotion with the Helicopter.   

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Most punters would have thought all was well when he launched the next promotion with the Helicopter.   

And that's the rub... The Cirrus draw was live-streamed. The next "two" (cough, cough) weren't and were supposedly won by "Nick from Waikato" and "G from Dumbea", a "commune" in New Caledonia with the winners being announced in simultaneous FB posts.... Now I'm pretty sure the draw was only open to Australian residents, so how can two of the three draws have been won by non-residents?? The cynic in me suggests because there's no possible way for them to be verified or contacted.

19 minutes ago, KRviator said:

And that's the rub... The Cirrus draw was live-streamed. The next "two" (cough, cough) weren't and were supposedly won by "Nick from Waikato" and "G from Dumbea", a "commune" in New Caledonia with the winners being announced in simultaneous FB posts.... Now I'm pretty sure the draw was only open to Australian residents, so how can two of the three draws have been won by non-residents?? The cynic in me suggests because there's no possible way for them to be verified or contacted.

it was open to anyone . at the time people from the usa and other places asked about this and were told it was not restricted to australia.

On 12/06/2024 at 4:57 PM, KRviator said:

Not sure they're that much at fault, @Marty_d, AF say they had a lawyer go through the documents and if they didn't find fault, there's not much else you can do. Hell even thought it was a bit sketchy after that RAAus Bushcat debacle, but went through the T's & C's, double checked myself with NSW Gaming that they were registered with them, and they also got a bucketload of publicity through the likes of Sunrise & the Today Show among others.

But that scumbag took us all for fools.

I'm not that annoyed about the money TBH, the KR KRew only lost a few hundred dollars, and while that would buy a few cartons or a tank of fuel for the RV, what really hurts is not only did AF not get the $$ raised, they also lost out on another $300K from what looks to be people sending the money to the raffle, vs AF directly. Afterall, as I said to the KRviatrix, if I wanted to donate $100 to AF, would I donate directly, or through a lotto where I had a chance to walk away with a Cirrus and AF would get their moolah. That (to Cirrus-wanting me) was a no-brainer.

Between RAAus and their Bushcat, YourJetLife, and several other ones besides (Horses for Harmony, for example) goes to show the only lotteries that seem to be above board these days are the likes of Powerball, or the meat trays going off at the pub on a Friday night.

whats the bushcat debacle. 

4 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

whats the bushcat debacle. 

"Airventure Australia" (AIUI, a trust whose sole beneficiary was RAAus) ran a "Win a Bushcat" door-prize/raffle type contest at the Parkes airshow a few years back. They didn't get enough gate takings/entries to actually cover the cost of the damn thing (with many people who had no intention of even going to Parkes simply buying a ticket for the chance to win it), so they simply shrugged their shoulders and walked away leaving many aggrieved ticket-buyers. Made national news but no idea what the outcome was, besides the plane itself being offered for sale privately from the distributor months afterwards.

13 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

it was open to anyone . at the time people from the usa and other places asked about this and were told it was not restricted to australia.

I stand corrected. I had it in my mind that it was open to Aus Citizens only when they had their little map with a circle drawn around Oz, but a review of the Wayback Machine shows the following:

Overseas non-Australian citizens or residents must check in their own country that there are no restrictions on them purchasing a ticket in the draw. Citizens of New Zealand can participate in the Draw. If an overseas non-Australian citizen or resident, including citizens of New Zealand, is the 1st prize winner of a Aircraft, Your Jet Life Pty Ltd and the winner will work together to deliver aircraft outside of Australia but may come at winners expense. All tickets and prizes are in Australian dollars (AUD) and Your Jet Life is only able to accept payment in Australian currency.

• Informative 1

to  can the raffle of that bushcat  and keep everyones money is pretty dodgy. would that be fraud.

As a volunteer for Angel Flight, I wrote to the Angel Flight CEO, as there has been zero correspondence on this to us.

A pretty disappointing and blame-shifting reply is below.

Thank you for your email.  This lottery was not a scam in the usual understanding of that word, as we had all the legalities checked; it  was an unanimous and considered decision by the board,; and there was a winner  from WA, with whom I personally spoke the day after the draw.  I also confirmed with the aircraft manufacturer that the aircraft was en route to ( and ultimately assembled) in Australia.  In the end, the promotor did not take delivery of it.

So for the people who bought tickets and didn’t win, ( including many of us at Angel Flight), it was the same as not winning any other game of chance.  The real issue here was that the promoter retained the proceeds, and didn’t make the required payment to us as the nominated charity.  Angel Flight did not pay for any promotional activities.

We had been pursuing payment from the day after the draw, ultimately making the formal complaint with the NSW Office  of Fair Trading, and assisting them with their investigations.

We also withdrew our consent to market the second and third lotteries as supporting Angel Flight.  The claims made by the promotor that he ran the lottery ‘on behalf’ of Angel Flight were incorrect : Angel Flight was merely the nominated beneficiary as required by the OFT permit.

The matter is now with NSW police, and we are hopeful that action will be taken against the promotor for this very serious issue.

We regret the failure of the promotor to comply with his legal and moral obligations has indirectly impacted our valued supporters.

Marjorie

Marjorie Pagani BA(Hons), LLB, GAICD
Chief Executive Officer
Angel Flight Australia
PO Box 421, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
Phone: 07 3620 8300 Fax: 07 3852 6646 
  • Like 1

So for the people who bought tickets and didn’t win, ( including many of us at Angel Flight), it was the same as not winning any other game of chance.  The real issue here was that the promoter retained the proceeds, and didn’t make the required payment to us as the nominated charity.  Angel Flight did not pay for any promotional activities.

that paragraph is a bit insulting i think not winning a scam is definitely not the same as not winning in a proper lottery. 

our money was taken under false pretense.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

So the materials by AngelFlight clearly show it was a "joint effort by Monarc Global and Angel Flight" (refer below)

Based on public, self-disclosed information, I am recording for posterity the names of the Board members of both of these organisations:

Monarc Global https://monarcglobal.com/

• Royce Crown - CEO of both Monarc Global and YourJetLife (and the guy fleeing from journalists and under investigation by NSW Police)
  • Monica Zagrodny - Co-Founder of Monarc Global , currently National Product & Supply Leader - Corporate Traveller at Flight Centre Travel Group
  • Alister D. Punton - Advisory Board Member, CEO of Storylines Inc
  • Jonathan Lerner -  Advisory Board Member, Directory of Envy Group
  • Benjamin J. Bickford - CEO & Founder BIONIC Corporation

Angel Flight  https://www.angelflight.org.au/

• Margorie Pagani - CEO, Executive Director and Company Secretary
  • Howard Hobbs - Chairman, Director
  • Note Angel Flight has $11.8m of assets so they are not going broke anytime soon.

image.thumb.png.47afcaebb16083143b3049a588b52de7.png

Edited by SGM

I do not believe it is blame shifting but it is pretty naive behaviour from Angel Flight.

Particuarly as it looks like it diverted $300k of donations that would have normally come straight to them.

This will probably also reduce donations to AF for several years, a pity.

it just keeps getting weirder...

My IT people are investigating this.  I have never seen it, did not write nor approve it, nor authorise it to be sent from Angel Flight.  We have never entered into any joint arrangement with either YJL or Monarc Global.

Marjorie Pagani BA(Hons), LLB, GAICD
Chief Executive Officer
Angel Flight Australia
PO Box 421, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
Phone: 07 3620 8300 Fax: 07 3852 6646 Mobile: 0418 878 326
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, SGM said:

BA(Hons), LLB, GAICD

What was she doing during lectures? Were exams required for the above? 

I saw her on the telly - her performance was woeful 

Seems to be a governance problem.

I bought tickets in the cirrus and helicopter draws. The promotion on mainstream media and the charity side swayed my decision.

would be wishful thinking if any one receives money back.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

My apologies, in the list above I omitted another director of the YourJetLife company that scammed us all..  Shane Woods, a helicopter pilot from Ormeau QLD with MECIR and CPL,  He is in "Sales" at Monarc Global https://www.f6s.com/member/shanewoods#about the Royce Crown aviation company.

He has now deleted his Linkedin profile

image.thumb.png.704134c7ba72e1ae184879d238211c32.png

Edited by SGM
  • Informative 2

I wonder why Angel Flight needs a "vision Jet"?  Surely if they have that many passengers and a jet capable airport, they would be serviced by RPT or charter. 

The concept of Angel Flight fits best for rural and remote locations where it is many hours by car to get to appointments.  Even if they could be flown to an airport with RPT it would make life easier.  Then I read stories of people getting a lift from a town with RPTs direct to the capital.  I guess the patient didn't qualify for an airfare under the State's Patient Transit scheme and Angel Flight is free.  I fear Angel Flight is trying to become an expensive medical transport which will need massive fund raising and Govt subsidy.  They will have to maintain and crew the "jet" - all the costs of running a mini airline.  I hope they did a business case for it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks, you saved me writing in a similar Vein. Turboprops are far more flexible with  aerodrome requirements and not a lot slower. I wonder who they have lined up to fly the SHOW jet?  Nev

• Like 1

I had a look at the Angel Flight website to see where the "vision jet" would fit in their scheme.  Their core business is fielding requests from medical practitioners for transport for patients, calling for volunteers from their panel of pilots and matching the two.  The pilot receives some money towards fuel.

Angel Flight are also talking about FIFOing medical staff in remote locations and flying medical/health students on remote placements.  That makes some sense to have (or hire) a larger plane to do shift changes on a regular basis, but is that really what the public expect?  I would say that the various State Health Depts should be funding travel for medical professionals to staff their facilities.  I can understand helping students on unpaid remote work experience placements, hoping they will move there permanently.  It is a complex topic.

Their fund raising goes towards fuel subsidies, tickets on commercial flights (if an Angel Flight can't go) and paying their 6 staff and overheads.  I suspect someone floated the idea that a "jet" would be a great idea and he would happily fly it ....  😏

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/6/2024 at 10:44 AM, Thruster88 said:

I bought a ticket, I also bought a few tickets in the jet life cirrus. Who doesn't want a Cirrus? 

Me, if it hasn't got steam driven gauges I'm not interested.
I think most charities are genuine in their efforts. But where have they have grossly overpaid CEO's and top heavy business models most of the donations go to the cost of running rather than the intended cause. 

• Like 1