Started a spare parts list

24 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Making the engine more beautiful on the outside will do nothing for reliability. Get some Alibright in the ignition system may reduce reliability. 

This has nothing to do with making it beautiful. It's been sitting idle for more than a decade and I have to present it to a Lame or equally qualified person to get it passed for registration. First impressions are important and at present the engine presents very old and weathered. A good clean with fresh hoses and replace the rusty carburettor springs will go a long way to improving it's image.

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

Making the engine more beautiful on the outside will do nothing for reliability. Get some Alibright in the ignition system may reduce reliability. 

Totally agree. Leave it be I say.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moneybox said:

That would be part of their dealer agreement with Rotax. It’s a good system put in place to protect regional parts dealers from unscrupulous poachers marketing outside their dealer region.

We had a dealer agreement with AmGeneral Corporation in the US where we supplied Hummer parts to all RH drive countries through the world. When war broke out in Timor the Portuguese Military came to us for parts because we could get the there from Capel WA almost overnight depending on the time of day we received the order. If they ordered from their European source they could wait weeks. We happily took the windfall but got a quiet wrap over the knuckles from AmGeneral sometime later when the other dealer realised what was happening. It was just the circumstances requiring the urgency of supply that prevented us from getting into real trouble. 

We enjoyed the same protection here in Australia. It allowed us to carry about 5000 parts lines in stock and price them appropriately to cover the cost of having all that money tied up in slow moving stock. We could actually return any old unsold stock for a full credit but we never did. Freight usually cost as much as the parts.

What most clients don’t understand is that the Australian dealer has to buy those parts, cover the cost of the freight and import charges and then carry the cost off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of parts sitting idle on a shelf waiting for just a few Australian customers to need that part urgently. We must pay a price penalty for that service otherwise we’d loose out local parts supplier. 

Even if the item is not Australian made buying in Australia is supporting our Australian industry that we often rely on when we need something NOW. 

That's great, but I find some local businesses are a pain to deal with. Despite your experience, my favourite people generally to deal with are American. They seem the most service oriented, and genuine competition within their region makes them pretty keen to please. Not necessarily just aircraft stuff, although that's been a big part of my life for the last five or so years. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

" regional parts " ,

I needed a Holden part , it comes from Brisbane somewhere. 

As I'm heading north from Sydney,  no problem. 

Get to Brisbane,  only to be told , it comes from Perth .

I eventually broke down,  solely due to  regional parts .

Luckily for me , the Indian mechanic knew the tricks & got that common part .

From , China .

spacesailor

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Moneybox said:

This has nothing to do with making it beautiful. It's been sitting idle for more than a decade and I have to present it to a Lame or equally qualified person to get it passed for registration. First impressions are important and at present the engine presents very old and weathered. A good clean with fresh hoses and replace the rusty carburettor springs will go a long way to improving it's image.

I agree the engine likly needs a good clean BUT be very careful how you go about it . Got a lot of electrical "stuff"  in /on/around the engine (bay),  that may not be happy with an overly enthusiastic clean. Some WD40 (or similar), followed by judicious application of compressed air, toothbrush can be useful for stubborn build ups (probably get a new one for the teeth). The 5 year rubber replacement (hoses/springs, etc) will certainly help in giving it that "cared for" look.

I've been browsing for tyres 15x6.00-6

Looks like Wagga Bike Parts is the best option.

https://www.waggabiketyres.com/lsa_tyres.html

Bush Aero have them at the same price and good delivery price too.

https://www.bushaero.com.au/tyres?Size=15x6.00-6

Edited by Moneybox
  • Like 1

I don't have direct experience with them, but these aftermarket 912 ignition modules have been praised by various people 

https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/bikes/rotax/rotax_912_and_914/rotax_912_and_914.htm

They also have enough wiring to mount them NOT on the engine, just like they should be in the first place 😄 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Have them on my aircraft now, I fitted them on my last 912 powered aircraft also.

Work fine, less expensive, programmable ignition curve.

Edited by Red
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, Red said:

Have them on my aircraft now, I fitted them on my last 912 powered aircraft also.

Work fine, less expensive, programmable ignition curve.

Did you end up mounting them NOT on the engine, or just reused the original mounting bracket?

5 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Did you end up mounting them NOT on the engine, or just reused the original mounting bracket?

They are on the cockpit side of the firewall, they need a fabricated box or cradle to mount them in as the have no built in fixing points.

Using the original rotax mount wouldn't  work and as you've mentioned is a pretty silly place to mount a CDI anyway.

Different harness lengths can be specified when ordering

• Like 1
  • Informative 1