Started a spare parts list

So.... these often exorbitantly expensive heat transfer compounds are revealed in the TDS's, to contain nothing more than silicone oil, and zinc oxide as an inorganic, largely inert filler.

Both are relatively cheap - silicone oil is noted for its heat transfer properties, and zinc oxide is used widely in a large range of products, with sunscreen being a major user.

Silicone oil has been used in viscous fan clutch hubs for donkeys years, it's not exactly worth stealing, like catalytic converters are. So why the massive charges for this heat transfer compound as soon as it's labelled for aviation use? It sounds like the classic sideshow spielers have got into the heat transfer compound market.

Skippys on the mark - no point in being ripped off simply because Rotax recommend a certain brand of the product.

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

Skippys on the mark - no point in being ripped off simply because Rotax recommend a certain brand of the product.

Thank you for your kind words sir.

As to the recipe containing fairly common cheap products - I guess  there is a degree of refining, meeting of standards, consistency and of course packaging & marketing the "sunscreen" which all adds up.

Then there will be the 100% ++ markup, to keep the kids in private school, the facilitate the annual overseas holiday and the new luxury car every 3 years or so.😈

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

6 hours ago, onetrack said:

So.... these often exorbitantly expensive heat transfer compounds are revealed in the TDS's, to contain nothing more than silicone oil, and zinc oxide as an inorganic, largely inert filler.

Both are relatively cheap - silicone oil is noted for its heat transfer properties, and zinc oxide is used widely in a large range of products, with sunscreen being a major user.

Silicone oil has been used in viscous fan clutch hubs for donkeys years, it's not exactly worth stealing, like catalytic converters are. So why the massive charges for this heat transfer compound as soon as it's labelled for aviation use? It sounds like the classic sideshow spielers have got into the heat transfer compound market.

£14.95 for the tube and £87.95 for the freight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I expect if you nip down to your local Computer store (if you have one) you'd get a small tube for a reasonable price

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Red said:

I expect if you nip down to your local Computer store (if you have one) you'd get a small tube for a reasonable price

Problem is - does it meet/exceed Rotax specifications? Important to me, may be not to you.

"Not the sharpest tool in the shed" so am dependent on Rotax specifications, resulting in, the right product for the given job, even if I don't buy from Rotax.

On 06/09/2024 at 8:12 AM, skippydiesel said:

Problem is - does it meet/exceed Rotax specifications? Important to me, may be not to you.

"Not the sharpest tool in the shed" so am dependent on Rotax specifications, resulting in, the right product for the given job, even if I don't buy from Rotax.

A few years ago Ford tried to void warranty if you did not use Genuine Ford filters until it was shown the 'genuine' were just repackage Commercially available filters.. Not made specially for Ford as claimed.

Manufacturer 'specifications' have MORE to do with Marketing and Brand Share than actual Hard and Fast specification requirements.

In this case..(and most others) as long as you are buy from a reputable supplier (ie not Online internet/facebook) the product will match or exceed anything with a pretty label stuck on it by a manufacturer.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, Arron25 said:

A few years ago Ford tried to void warranty if you did not use Genuine Ford filters until it was shown the 'genuine' were just repackage Commercially available filters.. Not made specially for Ford as claimed.

For me a specification is not a brand or marketing tool.

Manufacturer 'specifications' have MORE to do with Marketing and Brand Share than actual Hard and Fast specification requirements.

Specifications are standards, that the engine manufacturer has determined, will "do the job"eg an oil hose peak/continues pressure, temperature, bend radius, etc  or in the case of heatsink past (just winging it) ingredients, ratios, temperature, conductivity, etc .

In this case..(and most others) as long as you are buy from a reputable supplier (ie not Online internet/facebook) the product will match or exceed anything with a pretty label stuck on it by a manufacturer.

How can you know that you are purchasing a product that is equal to or better than the one specified by Rotax, without comparing specifications?

Rotax offer some specifications , other times recommended manufacturer/product. For the latter it is usually possible to obtain the specifications from the manufacturer, for the recommended product eg Continental supply oil hose for Rotax 912 engines - you can only purchase the specific oil hose from Rotax BUT Continental kindly publises the performance specifications for the given hose, which can then be used to find an equal or better performing hose from an alternative reputable supplier eg Gates.

• Informative 1

I want to buy a new electric fuel pump for the Sportstar but I’ve been too busy to research it.

I put Sandra onto Virgin for the flight back to Perth last night now I can get the credit card out again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moneybox said:

I want to buy a new electric fuel pump for the Sportstar but I’ve been too busy to research it.

I put Sandra onto Virgin for the flight back to Perth last night now I can get the credit card out again.

1st option is like for like.  Is it a Facet pump?  If so buy from a good seller; could be poor knock copies out there.  What is in it now?

Moneybox - Rotax have specifications for Boost Pump maximum fuel pressure.

Your aircraft manufacturer may have a recommended pump to do the job. I would stick with the recommendation unless you have good cause to do something else.

Your existing pump is likly to have Maker, Model. Part Number somewhere on it (If it a Facet it is normally embossed , not always, on the mounting bracket

Should you be unable to determine the existing pump you should start by reading the following"

Always with reference to your engine ( 912 ULS 100 hp?)

• Installation Manual, Chapter 73-00-00 , Engine Fuel & Control, Pages 7-8, Boost pump Max pressure 4.5 psi
  • Operators Manual, Chapter 5, Performance & Fuel Consumption, Pages 8, 5.2) Fuel Consumption, Specific consumption at max. continuous performance, 27L/hr

It not quit as simple as just purchasing a pump that will deliver 4.5 psi.

• Your aircraft likely has a return fuel line with restrictor jet somewhere in the line. ie the pump must accommodate this flow.
  • The maximum fuel your engine will burn is 27L/hr, the pump must accommodate this flow.
  • The Boost pump should deliver at least 2 psi - 4.5 psi in work,  accommodating both carburettor  & return line flow,  if it is to act as an emergency fuel supply system, say in early Climb Out (Max power).

Most aircraft in the recreational class will use a Facet Cube pump https://facet-purolator.com/specifications/

• Informative 1

I’ll price the original first. It does have a return flow but I’ve wrapped the whole plane up now so it should stay that way until I get home. Well that’s as long as they let me through the boarder quarantine without an internal inspection. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You'll be right. I went through the border in mid-May with 4.5 tonnes of earthmover parts covered in Victorian dirt and crap, and the young bloke on duty was pretty cheery, and simply blew the load down with a leaf blower, and let me through! And the truck was unregistered, too!  LOL

However, he did need my movement permit number for his records. Weed seeds are what they're mostly concerned about, and if you've come from any area where known problems exist.

25 minutes ago, onetrack said:

You'll be right. I went through the border in mid-May with 4.5 tonnes of earthmover parts covered in Victorian dirt and crap, and the young bloke on duty was pretty cheery, and simply blew the load down with a leaf blower, and let me through! And the truck was unregistered, too!  LOL

However, he did need my movement permit number for his records. Weed seeds are what they're mostly concerned about, and if you've come from any area where known problems exist.

We returned from Arnhem Land just before Christmas with the quads in the enclosed trailer. I had to open it for inspection and even though I'd removed all mud they had to be cleaned again. He said you can have it done in Kununurra for about $800 or you can use our hose. He stayed while I hosed them down and pointed out every straw of grass. Not bad service as he was just doing his job properly. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Last night, Friday, about this time I sent a parts inquiry to Evektor Australia and I was surprised to find a response already. They don't have an "over the counter" parts service but said to send my parts inquiry and they will respond with a quote.

I've just done that so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Their website says "Access to Aircraft Parts Online 24hrs a Day".

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

Maaaate! It's ALL pests &  diseases. A few examples you may have heard of -  fire ants, varroa mite, fire blight apple mosaic virus, rust etc etc

Australians  are way way too laid back about organic quarantine - we used to pride ourselves in having a clean environment.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

No fire ants in Victoria AFAIK, and I wasn't carrying honey or honey products, or fruit. Rust? Yeah, I had plenty of rusty components! LOL 

Never heard of rust being a quarantine problem for W.A., we've had rust in wheat here since the earliest part of the 20th century. Skeleton weed is still a concern.

On 23/03/2023 at 8:47 AM, danny_galaga said:

Latest item is the regulator/rectifier. I got a Carmo. Less wires and runs cooler.

Made in the Netherlands.

HUP HOLLAND! HUP!

🙂

Danny I just got a carmo reg/rec.....did you ground the case?, the accompanying drawing shows no ground connection to case which tbh would make things difficult mounting wise, I'll give carmo a call on monday but saw you mention them and thought worth an ask

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red said:

Danny I just got a carmo reg/rec.....did you ground the case?, the accompanying drawing shows no ground connection to case which tbh would make things difficult mounting wise, I'll give carmo a call on monday but saw you mention them and thought worth an ask

You don't need to ground the case per se as there is a negative lead. I hadn't given that much thought as mine is in a new build so I wired it accordingly. Good question!

• Like 1

I ground my rectifier/regulator case by;

• Fixing it to the metal airframe
  • Running a dedicated earth/ground wire, from one of the fixing screws, to a negative bus 

I strongly recomend the installation/use of a dedicated negative/earth return circuit for all 12 volt systems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1