Jab down near Cooktown

Guest J430

Guest J430

I doubt it was plug related. Most likely poor maintenance history related!

Brent raises a good point. I think its prudent to carefully ground run, then lightly loaded do a very careful and tight circuit and orbit above the field with plenty of height until you are confident.

After every service (probably 18 now) we fly above the field for a few minutes before venturing away. Has been prudent in the past!

Would love to know exactly what went wrong though.

J

Another update from my friend who talked to the pilot by phone. He commented that it was pilot error and when pushed said the pilot had turned the fuel off while working on the plane and did not turn it back on. Result engine failure due to fuel starvation. Not being a Jab pilot I am surprised that it could get into the air with fuel turned off, my plane would not get past about 20kts, even from a turnoff at the threshold.

I am not saying that this is gospel truth but it came from a man who was consulted by the pilot as to what kind of plugs should be used, in other words "hearsay"

My understanding is that a 912 will take you to the accident site if the fuel tap is off whilst the jab will only take you, maybe, to the threshhold.

Why speculate (not directed at you Ian just a general comment for all eyes) wait for the facts because of some off what you are saying sticks like mud on the PIC and maybe there is no pilot error involved only mechanical mayhem.

Food for thought.

Rick-p

Guest J430

Maybe it had a header tank..... and no warning light!

That is a sad case! If you ever turn off your fuel taps TAG them out

J

Fuel taps on Jab

I would think that the above scenario is the reason that Jab cannot install wing taps in factory build a/c. I believe that it is a casa directive.

The header tank will give 15 minute or so flow.

The current single tap fitted on all factory built will only give a couple of minutes (whats in the carby)

Makes sense.

The latest I heard on this is that after the plugs were replaced the pilot turned off the fuel, because he had full tanks and also a puncture. The tanks were turned off to stop fuel running out when he raised the wheel to work on it and then he forgot to turn it on.

So easy to make a mistake and so serious the consequences.

So, I guess if the 'old' printed & laminated checklist had have been used, then he would have checked the fuel tap....

I wonder how many 3-axis (GA-style) RAA pilots use the list every flight? I'm guessing not many. Might be an interesting subject for a poll..

Guest Melvin
I wonder how many 3-axis (GA-style) RAA pilots use the list every flight? I'm guessing not many. Might be an interesting subject for a poll..

What for, so you can get 100% results....and then speculate on how many have lied?

A check list writen or memorised is a CHECKLIST.

Dont do them at your peril.

Thats how us old codgers made it as far as we did!

Sorry for being grumpy, but i hear people bagging flying and Jabiru's and when the truth comes out it is usually some ding dong who just cut corners. Cut corners pouring your milk on your cereal.....you might spill some, cut corners flying and you might kill some!

Mel.

I wonder how many 3-axis (GA-style) RAA pilots use the list every flight? I'm guessing not many.

I reckon you have overstated that, and underestimated most of us, bushy.

I'm guessing that most use a list and fly carefully and responsibly.

Sure we fly carefully and responsibly. The only problem is that it only takes one tiny slip and the worst can happen. Just think, for every 100 hours we fly we make many decisions, usually they all work OK but 1 out of the many wrong can be fatal. Just think how many times we see someone doing something stupid in a car and getting away with it. Flying doesn't compare with driving, if it did we would all be killed by now.

The average pilot takes great care of safety, but between Fate and Murphy he has a hard row to hoe. Another thing I mentioned Murphy, but have you heard Mc Tavish's law. Murphy was an optimist!

I have now seen a photo of the crashed Jab. All there is of it is the fuselage, with damaged cowling and the port side pushed in at the cockpit a bit. There are a lot of trees about 150mm in dia and no sign of the wings or tailplane. I could say they were very lucky to get out of it with no major body damage, but really it was a very good piece of piloting, to use the plane to reduce speed by keeping the fuselage to be the last to hit anything solid.

Guest J430
but really it was a very good piece of piloting, to use the plane to reduce speed by keeping the fuselage to be the last to hit anything solid.

Yenn that may be true, however it was a pretty dumb set of circumstances that led to that display of skill.

I am sure the PIC will agree......... in hindsight.

DO NOT work on your a/c and then not double check EVERYTHING!

J