Preston Beach W A Accident 16th April

17 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

If the straps pulled the vertical stabilizer off there would be some marking on the paint. Is anyone actually investing this accident?  Will there be a report?

I hope so.

• Agree 1

On 28/04/2024 at 12:04 PM, facthunter said:

Depends on the keel surface and how the air flows around it. It's a weathercocking effect and I reckon most planes would be directionally uncontrollable.  with adverse aileron effect.  Nev

we learn to fly without rudder in one of the modules but i guess that goes out the window if the vertical fin is missing or hanging to one side.

This was investigated by RAAUS and ATSB with input from the manufacturer.

I'm beginning to see from some of the posts here what the RAAUS people warned me about wild speculation about crashes.

17 minutes ago, cscotthendry said:

This was investigated by RAAUS and ATSB with input from the manufacturer.

I'm beginning to see from some of the posts here what the RAAUS people warned me about wild speculation about crashes.

Seriously.. 

If you have the chute, and there's some chance you'll crash trying to land it, you might as well pull the chute. Very high survival rate and besides the airplane now belongs to the insurance company in any case.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

There's ALWAYS some chance you might crash when landing, Just needs a strong wind gust. Mostly  IF it still flies I'd be doing that. Nev

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/11/tl-ultralight-sting-sport-n494n.html

Interesting scenario from 2018 - simple pilot distraction leads to overspeed event - HS separation. 

In NO WAY am I suggesting any causal similarity to the Preston Beach incident. 

Included here simply because it was a BRS deployment in an LSA after losing control of the a/c.

• Informative 3

• 1 month later...

RAAus has released the following:

Serious Accident Linked to Service Bulletin Completion

In April 2024, RAAus was notified of an accident where an aircraft deployed a ballistic recovery parachute in flight and landed safely with only minor injuries, however the aircraft was destroyed.

Initial details obtained by RAAus indicated that the aircraft had experienced an in-flight failure of the vertical stabiliser and a subsequent loss of controlled flight occurred prior to the parachute being deployed. As a result of this information RAAus imposed a temporary suspension of other aircraft of the same type and deployed a staff member to conduct a review of the wreckage.

Evidence obtained as part of the review of the accident was provided to the aircraft manufacturer who determined that the likely cause of the failure was as a result of not completing a service bulletin which required checking of stabiliser connection pins. This likely resulted in excess movement in the horizontal stabiliser which resulted in excessive stress on the aircraft vertical stabiliser connection points.

Aircraft owners are reminded of the critical importance of conducting service bulletins and ensuring that manufacturer resources are checked regularly for the release of new bulletins. Owners of Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) are reminded of the importance of ensuring that the aircraft manufacturer maintains your contact information as they are responsible for the ongoing airworthiness of the aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Informative 4