Have you had a puncture ?

Lots of talk on this forum about the infamous green slime and CO2 canisters , etc but how big is the risk of a puncture versus how much extra stuff can you realistically carry when you are already at MTOW ?

So, just a straw poll to get an idea of how common and inconvenient this situation can be, to then get an idea of how much effort, expense, weight penalty, etc should go into planning for this eventuality prior to an extended flyaway when every kg counts.

If you had a puncture……

Where ?
Dirt, gravel, grass, bitumen?

Resulting cost implications ? (Including unexpected extra accom, etc)

How did you fix it ? Did you require local assistance ?

What would you do next time ?

Great initiative Freizeitpilot.

Had no punctures to date but always a worry. I want to tour and like you, am concerned with weight & volume (space). If I Dont have to take the tyre repair kit (tools, tube, patches, slime) that would be great.

I had one at Apollo Bay on a Sunday due to big sharp gravel. Left the plane halfway up the hill for a week. Had to go back in a mates plane with a new tube. Big job on a slope in grass.

Never had one in a lifetime of flying (touchwood) but with low MTOW planes it's easy to overload. Might be worthwhile to have a semi solid rubber cylinder of the right length and diameter to use in an emergency.. You can't rely on things like fenelec if the tube has a tear in it. Easy to happen if you roll any distance flat.    Nev

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

I had one at Apollo Bay on a Sunday due to big sharp gravel. Left the plane halfway up the hill for a week. Had to go back in a mates plane with a new tube. Big job on a slope in grass.

Thx PMc - as a result of this experience, do you carry anything now ?

Posted (edited)

Just one flat whilst training( it became apparent that the outfit let tyre and brake wear get real bad before changing them out), this was at an airport with a mix of Tarmac and concrete runways.

In the 15 years of flying since I've not had one, flying has been  90% grass runways and except for some of my Biennial reviews has been in my own owned/operated aircraft that I do my own maintenance on

Edited by Red

I recall an occurrence of a lot of Caltrop at Echuca was puncturing tyres some time ago.  Having plenty of tread left would help. Nev

• Like 1

Never had a puncture but would speculate that:

• Correct inflation pressure, to minimise thin tyre walls bulging & getting close to or actually contacting the ground.
  • 6 ply or more for aircraft that may encounter Caltrope
  • As Nev said - "plenty of tread"

8 hours ago, Freizeitpilot said:

Yes, one of those instant repair cans mentioned above. And the correct spanner and Allen key to get the brake and wheel off and on, in case the goop can doesn’t work. I carry a small pump. And keep meaning to get a spare tube. But my solution back then was to fit much stronger tyres, went from 4 ply (I think) to something much better and had no more trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, Freizeitpilot said:

For info; In addition to the cans of P3 above I carry the necessary tools to remove the wheel and spare tube (two tubes on distant trips) with a Peter Anson jack and a hand pump.  I also replace tyres at 5 years.  Have not had a flat to date; but ready.  I have been able to assist other flyers with the pump and also one of my tubes.  If I got a thorn puncture I would check type internal for the thorn etc and fit a new tube.  Have some patches as well but new tube best.  A good mate has used the P3 a number of times due to the three spike thorns and it works great.  You need to be as self sufficient as possible; even having spares at your hangar so when needed they are available.  When you need an item it can be out of stock at times.

• Like 2

I have had three flats but I land in paddocks a lot. First was in a canola stubble, I won't do that again, it was cut short but is extremely strong. 

The second I didn't find the cause of but it happened on takeoff so I landed with a flat and tore the valve stem. No amount of goo will plug a leak like that. New tube. 

Third I found flat preflight, goo fixed it for a couple of flights but as the tyre is not rotating in the air, it did not stay sealed. I went for a couple of short local flights to test if the goo would work on a multi leg remote trip. Maybe not. 

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Farmpilot said:

I have had three flats but I land in paddocks a lot. First was in a canola stubble, I won't do that again, it was cut short but is extremely strong. 

The second I didn't find the cause of but it happened on takeoff so I landed with a flat and tore the valve stem. No amount of goo will plug a leak like that. New tube. 

Third I found flat preflight, goo fixed it for a couple of flights but as the tyre is not rotating in the air, it did not stay sealed. I went for a couple of short local flights to test if the goo would work on a multi leg remote trip. Maybe not. 

The P3 is a sort of foam not like goo therefore better for our application. Just for info.

• Informative 2

Posted (edited)

MOTUL 

Looking for informed recommendations??????

Motul tyre repair  seems to come comes in pack size 300, 400 & 500 ml  ($20-$30).

Then there are the competitors eg IPON, Michelin, Holts, SCA, Valvoline  - starting as low as $10.

My aircraft has 5.00-5 tyres.

Edited by skippydiesel

Hi Nev - Just trying to get some experienced comment on a brand/product  (Motel P3) being promoted (intentionally or unintentionally).

Odd that so often the promoters go quiet, when a person asks for a bit more detail.😈

On 02/06/2024 at 8:13 PM, Blueadventures said:

You need to be as self sufficient as possible; even having spares at your hangar so when needed they are available.  When you need an item it can be out of stock at times.

I agree, to a point;

I carry quite a few spares, BUT some things have a shelf life and this needs to be considered, when purchasing and even more important, when fitting/installing, way way down the track.

In general "rubber" items will deteriorate over time. High temperature and exposure to sunlight will speed the process. Sealing in an airtight container /wrapping and storing in a cool dark place, will slow the deterioration.

I have known this, for long time, about tyres & tubes but only recently about hoses (the better brands have a date code). 

My advise, only purchase what you will use within 5 years and store appropriately. Tyres that have not been used within this time (especially inner tubes) should be view with suspicion - probably okay but be careful. Tubes that are still as flexible as when purchased (subjective ie hard to quantify) also possibly OK but again be careful.

I had better throw those very Old vintage tyres away , they must be at least 50 years in storage. 

Never did buy that jalopy we saw in some movies .

spacesailor

• Haha 1

Forum conversation waning - need something to heat the blood.

The Motul, emergency tyre repair range has been prominent in this conversation, without a shred of acumpening evidence to encourage a significant investment ($30) by the discerning (tight arse) purchaser.💨

The products attractive packaging (red & gold on a black background) is certainly eye catching, along with the mysterious a slightly milatristice name (P3) and the promotional videos,  have the pong of a talented marketing team.😎

Underwhelmed by the astonishing number (0) of factual reviews for Motul, never-the less impressed by the potential of such a product, that might just get me & my aircraft from some desolate country strip, to a more favorable (help/workshop) airfield, I have decided to make the astonishingly costly investment, by purchasing the Holts equivalent product.

I like the mid level pricing ($26) larger volume of effective product (400 ml - more bang for the buck?) attractive packaging and that I can pick it up (with a discount) from my local REPCO next time I am in there.😈

• Like 1

Thanks to all forum contributors to this topic. 

It appears that the latex-based 'goo' is a satisfactory low weight solution for emergency situations when you are out in the boonies, and hopefully you can avoid removing the tyre from the A/C.

I've read reviews (mostly motorcycling) for the various brands of goo, and its a mixed bag.  Rather than brand vs brand, its a case of sometimes it works very well, and other times it doesn't.

For ~ $30, and <500grams, its reasonable insurance against a significant P in the A.

• Like 1

Hi Freizeitpilot,

Can't help myself - just have to prod the lion. 

"Thanks to all forum contributors to this topic."

Whaaat ??? - I suspect all paid promoters of Motul (😜)

All that is ground based ("mostly motorcycle" ) does not necessarily translate to being a satisfactory aircraft product. 

After application, these emergency tyre repair/get you home products, require a number of kilometres be driven  - presumably to distribute the material around the inside of the tube/tyre and possibly to encourage/speed setting, by being heated.

If used in a small  (5.00 -5) aircraft tyre, the distance driven will likly be taxi & take-off  - how many clicks/ will this be sufficient???.

Take-off will be followed by the tyre stopping rotation and cooling rapidly. 

What might be the result????

Blob of goo settling to the bottom of the tyre ???

On landing, will the tyre be sufficiently inflated to keep the rim of the surface???

Will the goo cause a wildly out of balance wheel/ severe vibration???

All a tad speculative/experimental don't you think???😈

OK, the lion has been prodded.   

I thank the forum contributors for giving up their time to respond to my query and sharing their experience.  I call it politeness. 

"never-the less impressed by the potential of such a product, that might just get me & my aircraft from some desolate country strip, to a more favorable (help/workshop) airfield, I have decided to make the astonishingly costly investment, by purchasing the Holts equivalent product"

I understood from your previous comment that you were happy enough to experiment with a tyre repair product on yourself, with all the unknowns thrown in.

....and I don't think that a single contributor suggesting a random branded product they may have chosen to carry with them in their a/c, paints all as "paid promoters of Motul".

Separately, I will also be considering higher ply tyres.

That's enough from me on this topic, but am certainly still interested in other peoples experiences with managing 'away' punctures.

• Agree 1

Without a doubt a Gentleman

"I understood from your previous comment that you were happy  ..." hmmmm! "happy"? would have liked to get more, from those who have already taken the risk (if indeed they have and this is not just second hand theorising)"..........enough to experiment with a tyre repair product on yourself," point of clarification; will not be applying to any part of my anatomy😎

"......am certainly still interested in other peoples experiences with managing 'away' punctures." me too.

As indicated will be carrying a bottle/applicator of the Holts magic potion - the alternative - a pump/spare tube/tools/jack & patches, which I may also carry until such time that the mechanic in a bottle is a proven solution. 

As is pointed out earlier - I am fairly confident that, these products will allow for TO but what of the landing some time later? not so sure. 😈