Paraglider crashes into paddock at Elphinstone in central Victoria 10/06/24

I have to back down on my observation that there was no wind. I didn’t notice any. But this ABC photo shows the wind socks out straight.

61D7E9A3-8A39-443F-ABBF-9DF6E2D29F13.webp

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pmccarthy said:

I have to back down on my observation that there was no wind. I didn’t notice any. But this ABC photo shows the wind socks out straight.

61D7E9A3-8A39-443F-ABBF-9DF6E2D29F13.webp

it doesn't take much. looks like there were a few aerochutes there.

Unless they are just for show what you say is NOT correct. They would be weighted to comply with what is called the Beaufort scale.  Nev

• Like 1

This is an unlicensed airdrome and the 'wind direction indicator' can be at whatever angle for whatever the wind strength the owner dictates.

They were small on flimsy poles. I will refine my estimate, they’re were probably horizontal at 2-3 knots. Really just direction indicators.

I've seen plenty of these and they are rubbish. Probably bought from Ali express. They cost from $5.00 to $15.00 and come with a flimsy pole. They are only good for determining the wind direction and are fully extended at only a few knots.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-windsock.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.auto_suggest.1.7d25443fzXNxqw

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1

I think my definition of minor incident has to change.

One unconcious and the other has a broken leg 😮.

When you're the person sitting in a mess with a broken leg and the other occupant is unconcious, minor incident would be the last way you would describe it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It WAS caused by the wind in any case. The craft did not get off the ground.. These types of jiggers don't handle any wind well.   Nev

14 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

They were small on flimsy poles. I will refine my estimate, they’re were probably horizontal at 2-3 knots. Really just direction indicators.

Mine was just an eBay sock on a surf rod. Your  right , it is only for wind direction.