needed exhaust parts for J160C 2200 engine

hi  all 

i recently found my exhaust system has major work needed holes in pipes /cracks in welds /& list goes on . when checking with Jabiru they no longer supply exhaust parts  apart from flanges  (expensive )

my options seem to be seek a pre-loved  system from some one or see who can provide info on custom shops that can build from plan or samples  ( jabiru are able to provide plans to DIY your own fabrication)  which may help another fabricator  i currently need a muffler/collector  & RHF exhaust header/ pipe but will consider all offers 

your helpful ideas /suggestions  PLEASE so i can get flying again.

• Sad 1

Are you saying that for a standard Jab airframe with a Jab engine they do not have available a standard exhaust?  Thats got to be crazy and sh_t.  Have you tried Paul Cherna at Rotec, he may do them.

thanks   i find it unbelievable that you have to make your own exhaust replacement  when there is a whole lot of whoha about replacing the wooden propeller with their own scimatar prop but do what ever you like with the exhaust go figure 

• Like 1

The original manufacturer went broke. Expecting the new owners to cover this is a bit rich when often BIG NAME car makers  like HONDA don't have stuff for cars over about 6 years old.  Try people who make extractors for  speed boats and race cars or buy preformed bends and cut and paste your own.   Nev

There are thousands of 2200 engines around and there is no difference in the exhaust on a J160 or J170. It is only the Gen 4 engines that have a separate flange assembly. The earlier exhausts were sold as a set of 4 pipes or 6 for the 3300 and the muffler was a separate item. It is pretty poor that they no longer supply these.

You don't know what you've lost till it's gone. In this game it's struggle just to stay in the business. It's a small market in the BIG scheme of things. Who ever became rich making stuff for little aeroplanes? It's not  mass production and is always Labour intensive. .  Nev

Get a bit real. Have you ever made stuff for a tight arsed Niche market? I have and you do it more from love than sense for your own survival. Parts for superseded models become hard to get anywhere.  Where a lot of it happens the aftermarket producers make stuff often of better quality than  the originals but it involves larger numbers than we are talking about here..  People doing race car/motorcycle modifications engine swaps etc have the same problems  and nearly every one is different.. Dog helps those who HELP themselves..   Nev

28 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Get a bit real. Have you ever made stuff for a tight arsed Niche market? I have and you do it more from love than sense for your own survival. Parts for superseded models become hard to get anywhere.  Where a lot of it happens the aftermarket producers make stuff often of better quality than  the originals but it involves larger numbers than we are talking about here..  People doing race car/motorcycle modifications engine swaps etc have the same problems  and nearly every one is different.. Dog helps those who HELP themselves..   Nev

All I'm alluding too is that there would be a need and exhausts for the Jab engine are straight forward just need a jig, the material and welding ability.  Such would suit a retired part time person and they are around even if in short supply. 

• Agree 1

They would not have been made "In house" I'd be Pretty sure of. Even Ford and Holden shopped out that work.. Maybe contact someone at the Airport at Bundaberg who might know where they were Made. I've made quite a few over the years but prefer to use a good experienced sand bender person. A lot of the steel pipes are too thick. Stainless is thinner. and smaller diameters are easier to work with. 

Stainless fatigue cracks  more than  M/S. I'd still consider using it to save weight. Weld with TIG (or MIG) if its set up right.  Nev

The exhaust pipes are pretty robust so there probably isn't much demand for replacements. I don't know any jab owners who have had to replace exhaust pipes. I'd ask Jabiru if they could tell me who they bought the pipes off originally as it would be easier to ask the manufacturer to make some than try and do it yourself. As a one off they would be expensive but probably a better fit & quality that you could do DIY.

Edited by kgwilson

I don't know anything about Australian regime, but if it's anything like the UK then the main obstacle to very small market products is the hassle and cost of getting them approved

IF all that's wrong is cracks it has to be repairable and done properly would be safe and neat. Cracks in exhaust systems are like smells from a barbecue. They all do it. Loose baffles in mufflers need to be checked. That has been known to block them.   Nev

• Agree 1