Uncontrolled airports. Which call to make in circuits if you’re only going to make one call?

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

What was the typical number of aircraft in his circuits?

That makes a big difference. 

In city airfields there can be so many aircraft that even though everyone is clipping their calls there's a problem squeezing yours in.

At country fields there's often longer transmissions, asking questions etc which causes the same problem of not beiing able to get yours out.

Mandatory right circuits should have been loaded into the ERSA for that field.

I guess some airfields will have "typical number of aircraft in his circuit"  - in my limited experince there is no typical.

At our little field, can be on my own one day/time and another day/time x 6 ++. Anything from pilots desperate to get some air time, in a small weather window, to sudden influx of visitors.

Pilots should never fixate/become habituated to the typical/norm  - its a prescription for added stress at the worst panic.

"Mandatory right circuits should have been loaded into the ERSA for that field."

Dont know who you are addressing this to or why (apologies if I missed a post); Where no circuit direction stipulated, in ERSA, pilots will assume standard left turning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The preference is for STANDARD circuits to be left handed, . It became quite difficult to prescribe  RH circuits  about 20 years ago. If you want to observe the windsock etc over the Drome is the only way. The likelihood of descending onto other traffic is to be minimised. The turn onto final is historically the most dangerous.. extending the downwind leg is the best way to get more space from aircraft in front of you. Concentrating on the talk-talk can lead you to miss the Point of doing a SAFE circuit. IF you get too close on final have a place to go  that is safe. Be ahead of you plane. ALWAYS. I think the CASA made a shift in advice on radio calls that doesn't fit the 'prescribed " Format.. It's now a different CONCEPT,  IMHO more subtle to comprehend.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

As per the statistics I posted previously, final approach is were the real danger is.

12/7/2024 OCC3751 Serpentine Aerodrome WA Jabiru J160-C Jabiru 2200B OCCURRENCE DETAILS SUBMITTED TO RAAUS: The Jabiru 160 was on mid finals for runway 05, when a VH reg... 
OCCURRENCE DETAILS SUBMITTED TO RAAUS: The Jabiru 160 was on mid finals for runway 05, when a VH registered Socata TB20 overtook them, directly above them. The VH registered Socata TB20 then continued to descend in front of the Jabiru 160. The instructor took immediate action by diving to the right however the difference in approach speed of the two aircraft meant that the VH registered Socata TB20 rapidly moved away from the Jabiru 160 aircraft. The instructor immediately radioed the pilot of the VH registered Socata TB20 aircraft.
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

One of the things I noticed while spending a few hours with an instructor getting my flying restarted (sadly, currently on hold while I recover from an operation on my dominant arm ☹️), was that I should spend more time on the turn to final looking for incoming traffic than the location of the airstrip. I’ve always been totally focused on lining up the airstrip at that point, but I can now see what he was talking about. It’s the other aircraft that you don’t know are there that are the major concern.

Edited by sfGnome
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

One of the things I noticed while spending a few hours with an instructor getting my flying restarted (sadly, currently on hold while I recover from an operation on my dominant arm ☹️), was that I should spend more time on the turn to final looking for incoming traffic than the location of the airstrip. I’ve always been totally focused on lining up the airstrip at that point, but I can now see what he was talking about. It’s the other aircraft that you don’t know are there that are the major concern.

It's part of raaus training. Look left,centre and right for other aircraft before making any turn in the circuit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, onetrack said:

But it's the one coming from above and behind, that you need to look out for, too! 

Exactly. However neither aircraft was probably visible to the other once they were on final. One behind, one below the nose.

If either or both aircraft had adsb in and out a quick glance at a screen would have alerted them to the proximity.  We cannot rely on adsb, systems can fail, it is just a very good tool to have. 

Should we not look at the wind sock while in the circuit, it is after all another distraction from keeping a good look out. We can most often get the wind from AWIS before making the 10 mile call. Also helps to plan entry to the circuit. 

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

42 minutes ago, onetrack said:

But it's the one coming from above and behind, that you need to look out for, too! 

try looking out the back of my xair. i have mentioned this before. if i am flying a 500 ft circuit and a fast aircraft comes in behind me i am at their mercy.  i must admit though i only fly in fairly quiet locations and have not had any problems yet.  i am always listening and looking out for other aircraft, probably a bit parenoid being new to the flying thing.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Exactly. However neither aircraft was probably visible to the other once they were on final. One behind, one below the nose.

If either or both aircraft had adsb in and out a quick glance at a screen would have alerted them to the proximity.  We cannot rely on adsb, systems can fail, it is just a very good tool to have. 

Should we not look at the wind sock while in the circuit, it is after all another distraction from keeping a good look out. We can most often get the wind from AWIS before making the 10 mile call. Also helps to plan entry to the circuit. 

if i made a ten mile call everyone else would have gone home by the time i reached the circuit. thats xcountry in an xair. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

i went for a fly with a mate in his c150 a few weeks ago. i was impressed with how easy it was to look behind with the big rear windows. i guess you low wing blokes get a great rear view too.

• Like 2

You don't want to go past the extended runway centre line when turning final. You could see those ahead of you while on Base and should be looking for traffic on final on your right before you lose sight of them when Banking., When turning left BASE before you turn, clear for traffic on your left. This requires looking back behind you. Way back we would press left pedal and apply aileron to the right to keep the wings level and fly straight This helps you see behind you. Some people Poo poo this but it works for light aircraft as long as you are at the right speed to do it safely.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 2