Wing Aviation Pty Ltd drones - coming soon to Melbourne

I had this flyer delivered to my physical letterbox this week. 

I couldn't help myself and had to ask them some questions ; )

Here are the answers

• Availability: The "Drone" option in the doordash app is not presently there (I checked)..response is "We are looking to launch in the coming weeks and will formally announce via our website".  
  • Weather "Our drones are capable of safely delivering a package in a strong breeze and even rain. We've done extensive rain testing from winter test flights north of Helsinki, as well as in Alaska, to the summer heat of Texas to evaluate our fleet's ability to operate in such conditions".  [Might be interesting to order sushi in 40 knot storm]
  • Range  seems to be about 8km from their shopping centre base (based up a series of addresses the helpful rep looked up for me). I was hoping they would share a national rollout and coverage plan with me - but no luck.
  • Payload"Each drone can deliver a package weighing a maximum of 1.1kg, however if you decide to place a large order, multiple drones will deliver your goods one after the other"
  • Discount: "As a small token of our thanks for your patience and feedback, please enjoy promo code EASTLANDRN10 for $10 off your first drone order"

CASA info here: https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/industry-initiatives/drone-delivery-services#Approveddeliverylocations

0?ui=2&ik=ef8935f55a&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1802264461013854766&th=1902edfa7e0aaa2e&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9hVQeecu1A7Yizyo3hCmQSdzf8ZW8CPc9IEgLxJbphjq-DRt98KPsttS-e1X_HriNdIQx_RIrCNax9P1PHGhgjocsDecLE1xL5F10PaSuXBPNDpVz3ZgneWsY&disp=emb

Edited by SGM

On 19/06/2024 at 8:55 PM, Freizeitpilot said:

Just wait for magpie nesting season.

Yep, native birds in Aus are not drone friendly, could be interesting 🦅

Received a flyer in the mailbox yesterday saying they will be starting in our area shortly, delivering Doordash takeaway amongst other things.

People DIE on delivery scooters and unlimited annoyance to all and sundry  by  drones to get a 1/2 warm pie to you.? Progress?  Nev

Another way out of exercising 

We will look like Americans  soon .

Today I walked 4.6 klmts . Measured by " Strava " APP .

One sit & rest each way , to the chemist .

( I declined their free delivery ) .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
AI
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an FYI the NOTAM is live for the above drone service :

C1115/24 REVIEW C969/24 UA OPS (FIXED-WING BLW 7KG) WILL TAKE PLACE WI 4NM OF PSN 374845.70S 1451346.40E BRG 032 MAG 11.5NM FM MOORABBIN AD (YMMB) OPR CTC 'WING AVIATION PTY LTD' TEL: 1800 022 350 SFC TO 400FT AGL FROM 06 260637 TO 08 310830 TUE-SUN 2230-0830

The raptors will have a ball. What happens as regards deliveries to intensive, multi-storey apartment buildings, or multiple strata units on the one property? Sounds like a logistics nightmare to me.

Scooter delivery riders have enough problems trying to precisely locate properties now. Ever tried finding someones house number when it's an unknown property to you? Some people won't even put their numbers up.

Imagine the number of crims who'll think they're being spied on. BOOM! There goes your delivery!

WING.COM

Wing offers drone delivery. Our fleet of lightweight, autonomous delivery drones can transport small packages directly from businesses to homes in minutes. Wing delivery is safe, sustainable, and easy to...

Edited by onetrack

• 3 weeks later...

How much for a delivery drone? 5 k? As long as people are prepared to pay for their own fuel, wear out their own car/motorcycle/pushbike for as little as $10 a delivery you would wonder how such a drone delivery model could compete with the current lot of cash economy slaves. Seems a crazy business model to me, looks the same as drones being pushed for everything from medicine delivery to driverless taxies, not very practical. What happened to the Canberra trail?

• Informative 1

Could be interesting to see the level of stuff-ups. Delivery employees often have major problems finding the correct address from the ground - let alone from the air, from a remote position.

Google Maps aren't any better than about 90% accurate, I often spend time correcting them - especially when there's a lot of new property/road development. Could lend a whole new level of meaning to "the dog ate my dinner!"

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Could be interesting to see the level of stuff-ups. Delivery employees often have major problems finding the correct address from the ground - let alone from the air, from a remote position.

Google Maps aren't any better than about 90% accurate, I often spend time correcting them - especially when there's a lot of new property/road development. Could lend a whole new level of meaning to "the dog ate my dinner!"

they have been operating in canberra for a while , there might be some info available on how its working there.

22 hours ago, Student Pilot said:

How much for a delivery drone? 5 k? As long as people are prepared to pay for their own fuel, wear out their own car/motorcycle/pushbike for as little as $10 a delivery you would wonder how such a drone delivery model could compete with the current lot of cash economy slaves. Seems a crazy business model to me, looks the same as drones being pushed for everything from medicine delivery to driverless taxies, not very practical. What happened to the Canberra trail?

Try ~$26k for some thing like the new DJI delivery drone, $3600 just for a battery.

Wing delivery drones are in built in house and from what I know are not available for anyone else to purchase

• Informative 1

Their advertising blurb is that at 100 kph, your pizza and coffee arrives hot.

• Informative 1

39 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Or how it arrives? Dropped on your front lawn, where the dog promptly rushes out, and chews it up?

The video I've seen makes some sense. The customer is standing out in the back yard. Presume he/she punches in co-ordinates and checks for power lines. Drone comes in with product on line, remote camera identifies the customer who reaches up and grabse the package, line release, drone flies back to base. However Autonomous issues aren't resolved, they just hope it's "safe".

Edited by turboplanner
  • Informative 1

The drones were available at one point in the ACT on the southside. Old nudist wacko's killed the program off because apparently they were flying overhead and spying on them.

They actually sound much lounder in this video than they actually are, listen for the alarm calls of the local magpies, they were about 50m away

They were brilliant for fast deliveries of small items, coffee, lunches, stuff from a chemist and bunnings when you needed a packet of screws etc. I could buy things online and have them dropped on my front lawn within 5 minutes.

They travelled significantly faster than 100km/h, and reduce traffic on the local streets.

The process for registering was download and app, identify a spot to deliver and do a 360 spin with the camera. Once it was approved, bingo.

Not sure of the payload however it did manager to deliver lunch for 4 people with drinks at one point.

I originally though it was a bit stupid and my son downloaded the app and did the registration. But once we used it a few times I completely changed my mind. It was just so dam quick.

My favourite delivery was when my entire family was ill and we'd run out of panadol and ibuprofen. It was literally there 3m later. 

Apologies for the camera work 😉

Edited by Ian
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

This is more about Uncrewed Traffic Management UTM and Airspace Management more than many realise.   This is not just about drone delivery.

• Agree 1

I'm not really sure what you mean by this?

They fly at about 30m max along set corridors and it's not a particular busy piece of airspace. Even if two of them crashed above you and the debris rained down on you it would be in the same order of magnitude as a magpie attack unless they were carry hot food ;-).

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, BirdDog said:

This is more about Uncrewed Traffic Management UTM and Airspace Management more than many realise.   This is not just about drone delivery.

If they are under 500 ft there should not be a problem in most parts of the country surely.