Wing Aviation Pty Ltd drones - coming soon to Melbourne

Re: drones use in crop spraying, I know Japan and probably other countries have used large radio controlled helicopters in that role for decades, so Drone usage is certainly feasible.
Perhaps a matter of area involved v cost differential of manned aircraft V autonomous or remotely powered vehicles

Safety of the pilots and efficiency come into it too.

Flying autonomously you can even spray at night. And if you do trowel one in its typically only an expense not a human life.

Crop dusting is a great application for unmanned aircraft. Removes the high risk to pilots and flight paths are down low away from most manned aircraft activities.

There are already companies out there converting manned aircraft into UAV's

• Informative 1

On 24/07/2024 at 12:01 PM, spacesailor said:

As to the ' seed dropping drones ' .

Surly that is illegal ,  as in recreational aircraft are not allowed to drop lollies now .

spacesailor

I am sure there was something on the news a while back about drones dropping native seeds in NSW . 

• Informative 1

On 25/07/2024 at 8:59 AM, T510 said:

Drone aerial sprayers are governed by the same rules as manned aircraft, the operator still needs to have the appropriate licences and permits for the chemicals they are spraying. If they don't they are at risk of litigation same as a manned aircraft

A single spray drone can spray up to 14Ha and hour, some you can fly in swarms of 5 drones to one operator, they are not just doing tiny areas.

The Aerial Application Association Of Australia hasn't released drone policy since 2021. Their policy said they did not see the use for drones in aerial application. This was a short sighted view when they could have had input in licencing and policies for drone spraying

I imagine that association is for ag pilots and they don't want to be giving work away.

• Like 1